The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Scheduling snafu

Well it was bound to happen. In everyone else's eyes, I showed up to the wrong school to ref a game. Fortunately it was underclassmen and all in town. My schedule had changed and everyone knew it except for me. I raced 15 blocks across town to get the 'correct' place and arrived on the floor as the last seconds before the game were ticking off. I obligingly (sp?) warned the coaches I'd be grumpy for a couple of minutes. Any other close calls out there?
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I always have the fear that I will do that. Thats why I have my schedule in several places.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Last year I went to the wrong college (they were the visiting team) because I wrote it down wrong. The team they were playing was 2 hours away . I was hauling a** at 100 mph the entire way there. I got to the college with about 5 minutes left in the 1st half and I jumped on the court during a timeout. Needless to say I was not very happy with myself!
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 10:12am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
Last year I went to the wrong college (they were the visiting team) because I wrote it down wrong.
Didn't you confirm the assignment with your partners by phone or email ahead of time?
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

2 years back I was scheduled for a game at a school I'd never been to. My partner that night was someone I had never worked with, but I knew that he was hearing impaired. I left early to be sure we had time to do a good pre-game so that I'd know what to expect.

Naturally I got lost and got to the site with about 6 minutes on the pre-game clock. Ran in and got changed. Made it to the floor with 3 minutes on the pre-game clock. My partner had captains and coaches ready for our pre-game meeting (he couldn't run it as he is hard to understand in a noisy gym). Ran the meeting, had a brief chat with the partner during player introductions and away we go.

Despite the rushed circumstances, it was one of the best games I worked all year. Partner was in position and managed to communicate well. All my worries were unjustified. It went so well I considered being late to all my games.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Last year we had a referee, who somehow managed to go 5 kilometres wrong. He was supposed to end up in my town, and somehow managed to get to the neighbouring town insted! When we called him (we luckily had his cell-phone number) he wondered where the heck we were

He was a quarter late (another official who was there called the first qtr insted of him, it was a low grade game anyway).
I have always managed to get things right myself though, yet...