Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 05:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Judge In Judgment ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
A judgment call IS a subjective call. Judgment is ... seeing and having the option to decide whether if was an infraction or not....aka subjective.
For example, ruling a dribble to determine team control (which can, and often is, independent of a backcourt determination).

Right next to the definition of subjective in the dictionary is a picture of Camron Rust. Well, not really, but you get my point.

Also, why isn't there a judge in judgment? Don't you think that there should be? After all, that's what judges get paid for, to judge, and to make judgments.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri May 18, 2018 at 05:57am.
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 08:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Whatever you call it does not matter. All that matters when does this new exception apply and when does it not apply. If we find out they took on the NCAA Rule (which they are using similar language) with this exception, then that should clear up many things. If they want to make exceptions to an exception, then we are right back to where we were before, but for different reasons.

Peace
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Right next to the definition of subjective in the dictionary is a picture of Camron Rust. Well, not really, but you get my point.

Wouldn't the definition be more effective if it was a picture that could arguably be Camron Rust?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 07:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Change ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... similar language ...
Old NFHS Language:

9-9-1: A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

New NFHS language:

9-9-1: A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt. EXCEPTION: Any player located in the backcourt may recover a ball deflected from the frontcourt by the defense.

I'm interested to see if there is a new NFHS casebook play, or an new NFHS annual interpretation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 19, 2018 at 12:27pm.
Old Sat May 19, 2018, 12:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Old NFHS Language:

9-9-1: A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in player and team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

New NFHS language:

9-9-1: A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt. EXCEPTION: Any player located in the backcourt may recover a ball deflected from the frontcourt by the defense.

I'm interested to see if there is a new NFHS casebook play, or an new NFHS annual interpretation.
I was not talking about the NF. I was talking about the NF using similar language from the NCAA.

9-12-4 and 9-12-5.

Quote:
Art. 4. A player shall not be the first to touch the ball in his backcourt (with any part of his body, voluntarily or involuntarily) when the ball came from the front court while that player’s team was in team control and that player or his teammate was the last to touch the ball before it went into the backcourt. (Exception: See Rule 9-12.5)

Art. 5. A pass or any other loose ball in the front court that is deflected by a defensive player, which causes the ball to go into the backcourt may be recovered by either team even if the offense was the last to touch the ball before it went into the backcourt.
BTW, sounds like they changed the rule as I had been stating. This is more than just a change of one unusual interpretation. That is what Raymond and I have been saying all along.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sat May 19, 2018 at 12:12pm.
Old Sat May 19, 2018, 12:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Take Two To Tango ...

Quote:
I was not talking about the NF. I was talking about the NF using similar language from the NCAA.
I was 100% fully aware of that. I was just offering the new NFHS language so that you guys that do both college and high school can compare the two.

Quote:
... If we find out they took on the NCAA Rule (which they are using similar language)
I offered the new language to answer your "if we find out" statement. We did "find out", and it appears that the NFHS didn't take on the entire NCAA rule language, just the added exception statement (assuming that your 9-12-4 and 9-12-5 post above is the NCAA rule).

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 19, 2018 at 12:45pm.
Old Sat May 19, 2018, 12:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Unusal Interpretation ...

Quote:
This is more than just a change of one unusual interpretation.
Please offer how the NFHS rule change impacts a play other than the "unusual interpretation".

(Note: I love JRutledge's adjective "unusual" to describe the (hopefully) now extinct NFHS interpretation. Dinosaurs were also "unusual", but I wouldn't want a Tyrannosaurus Rex hanging out in my backyard. As such, I never liked this "unusual interpretation", and would love to see it relegated to an "unusual interpretation" museum.)

(Another note: There was a Black Bear in my frontyard last week, common for many of you, but very rare and certainly "unusual" for my little part of my little corner of Connecticut. It was a first for me, and I was totally fascinated, but also a little scared, I made sure that the front door of my house was unlocked and available for me to make a quick entrance if needed.)

Basketball Rules Interpretations - 2017-18
SITUATION 7: A1, in the team’s frontcourt, passes towards A2, also in the team’s frontcourt. B1 deflects the ball toward Team A’s backcourt. The ball bounces only in Team A’s frontcourt before crossing the division line. While the ball is still in the air over Team A’s backcourt, but never having touched it in Team A’s backcourt, A2 gains possession of the ball while standing in Team A’s backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. Team A was still in team control and caused the ball to have backcourt status. Had A2 permitted the ball to bounce in the backcourt after having been deflected by B1, there would have been no backcourt violation. (4-4-1, 4-4-3, 9-9-1)

New 9-9-1: A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt. EXCEPTION: Any player located in the backcourt may recover a ball deflected from the frontcourt by the defense.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 19, 2018 at 01:07pm.
Old Sat May 19, 2018, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Basketball Rules Interpretations - 2017-18
SITUATION 7: A1, in the team’s frontcourt, passes towards A2, also in the team’s frontcourt. B1 deflects the ball toward Team A’s backcourt. The ball bounces only in Team A’s frontcourt before crossing the division line. While the ball is still in the air over Team A’s backcourt, but never having touched it in Team A’s backcourt, A2 gains possession of the ball while standing in Team A’s backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. Team A was still in team control and caused the ball to have backcourt status. Had A2 permitted the ball to bounce in the backcourt after having been deflected by B1, there would have been no backcourt violation. (4-4-1, 4-4-3, 9-9-1)

New 9-9-1: A player shall not be the first to touch the ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt. EXCEPTION: Any player located in the backcourt may recover a ball deflected from the frontcourt by the defense.
I am still just slightly confused. Does this new "exception" now make that case (situation 7) legal? When the exception indicates "from the frontcourt" I expect it to imply a "to" location, such as the backcourt. In the case however, the ball never had backcourt status. Should not the exception read perhaps as "..deflected in the frontcourt.."? (Notice the use of word "in" instead of "from".
Old Sat May 19, 2018, 01:09pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Please offer how the NFHS rule change impacts a play other than the "unusual interpretation"...[/I]
It can't. This wording won't allow any change but for that misguided 2006-07 and 2017-18 Interpretation:

"An EXCEPTION added to the backcourt violation (9-9-1): To ensure that an offensive team is not unfairly penalized when the ball is deflected by the defense from the frontcourt to the backcourt. This exception allows the offense to recover the ball (that still has frontcourt status) in the backcourt without penalty." ("Basketball Comments on the Rules", May 17, 2018)

By stating that they're applying this only to a deflected ball "that still has frontcourt status," this change cannot go as far as the NCAA-M did as their backcourt rule was revised last year to say, "Art. 5. A pass or any other loose ball in the front court that is deflected by a defensive player, which causes the ball to go into the backcourt may be recovered by either team even if the offense was the last to touch the ball before it went into the backcourt."

Right?

Now watch them prove me wrong by coming out with an Interpretation or Casebook situation to the contrary.
Old Sat May 19, 2018, 01:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bitterly Criticized ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Does this new "exception" now make that case (situation 7) legal?
Hopefully it does, getting rid of the unusual "simultaneous last to touch, first to touch" interpretation that's been around, and bitterly criticized, for a few years.

Old Sat May 19, 2018, 01:19pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
I am still just slightly confused. Does this new "exception" now make that case (situation 7) legal? When the exception indicates "from the frontcourt" I expect it to imply a "to" location, such as the backcourt. In the case however, the ball never had backcourt status. Should not the exception read perhaps as "..deflected in the frontcourt.."? (Notice the use of word "in" instead of "from".
The quote from the later released "Comment..." apparently answers that. The deflection does take place "in" the frontcourt and the frontcourt status of the ball remains when it's touched by an offensive player who then is standing in the backcourt. That's the same condition expressed in that "situation 7" you cite.
Old Sat May 19, 2018, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Anticipation (Carly Simon, 1971) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Now watch them prove me wrong by coming out with an Interpretation or Casebook situation to the contrary.
I can't wait. I'm eagerly waiting with anticipation and bated breath. Don't make me post that great Carly Simon video again (it's a great song, and she's gorgeous).

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 19, 2018 at 01:29pm.
Old Sat May 19, 2018, 01:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hotcakes (Carly Simon, 1974) ...

Quote:
Don't make me post that great Carly Simon video again (it's a great song, and she's gorgeous).
I couldn't resist another look at her. Gorgeous, just gorgeous, as well as a great singer, and a great song writer. Too bad she suffered from stage fright.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 19, 2018 at 01:40pm.
Old Sat May 19, 2018, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
The quote from the later released "Comment..." apparently answers that. The deflection does take place "in" the frontcourt and the frontcourt status of the ball remains when it's touched by an offensive player who then is standing in the backcourt. That's the same condition expressed in that "situation 7" you cite.
Indeed, after my post I read the comments. Thanks for clarification.

(could never get over Simon's giant mouth)
Old Sat May 19, 2018, 01:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Shut Up ...

Quote:
(could never get over Simon's giant mouth)
James Taylor found it to be beautiful (at least for a few years).