The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 22, 2018, 02:09am
I got a Basketball Jones!

@ilyazhito

You reinforce my suspicion you are either a coach, an outright troll or just incredibly naive, especially when repeating the old canard "Someone's gonna get hurt" as if there were any validity to such statements.

Last edited by justacoach; Sun Apr 22, 2018 at 02:16am.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2018, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
@ilyazhito

You reinforce my suspicion you are either a coach, an outright troll or just incredibly naive, especially when repeating the old canard "Someone's gonna get hurt" as if there were any validity to such statements.
Those aren't mutually exclusive.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2018, 11:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
@ilyazhito

He said he had Asperger's.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Apr 22, 2018, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
@ilyazhito

@justacoach, the official looking onto the other court when she is responsible for her game is setting herself up for a lawsuit, especially if someone gets fouled, and she does not see or call the foul. Any official who did that in my game during live play would go on my block list.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2018, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
@justacoach, the official looking onto the other court when she is responsible for her game is setting herself up for a lawsuit, especially if someone gets fouled, and she does not see or call the foul. Any official who did that in my game during live play would go on my block list.
Exactly how many lawsuits have actually happened to any officials for any reason? I'm guessing its very rare.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sun Apr 22, 2018, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentD2222 View Post
Exactly how many lawsuits have actually happened to any officials for any reason? I'm guessing its very rare.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
In 15+ years I have heard of 1. And it was because the official pushed a kid.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2018, 06:09pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
So now add counselor-at-law to your list of suspected avocations....and a quite picky one at that. You're suggesting a lawsuit be filed if someone gets fouled?

Sent from my Commodore C-64 using Crapatalk.

Last edited by justacoach; Sun Apr 22, 2018 at 06:13pm.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2018, 06:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Liability ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentD2222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
In 15+ years I have heard of 1.
Quote:
You're suggesting a lawsuit be filed if someone gets fouled?
There must be some degree of liability? Somebody wrote a whole book about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Offici.../dp/1582080844

Remember, anybody can sue anybody at any time for almost any reason. Even if the official is in the right, he still has to hire an attorney, and those billable hours add up quickly.

“He who represents himself has a fool for a client.” (Abraham Lincoln)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 22, 2018 at 06:48pm.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2018, 06:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Retro ...

Quote:
Sent from my Commodore C-64 ...
I just spotted this. Very cool. My nomination for Post O' The Month.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Apr 22, 2018, 06:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
In 15+ years I have heard of 1. And it was because the official pushed a kid.
There are more and more of these, but it is not for not calling a foul. It is usually for some negligence of some kind in the accusation for much bigger things. Like a facility issue or something involving safety of something worn or against the rules. But this is not just about the official, it is about others involved and the official might be just one of the plaintiffs out of a few others. Still very rare overall.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 22, 2018, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So now add counselor-at-law to your list of suspected avocations....and a quite picky one at that. You're suggesting a lawsuit be filed if someone gets fouled?

Sent from my Commodore C-64 using Crapatalk.
Failing to monitor the situation for possible foul play, with said failure to pay attention to one's surroundings leading to bodily harm for another (a player) under the responsibility of the official can qualify as negligence, which is considered a tort. There are four elements to this tort, duty, breach, damages, and causation.

The duty of an official to exercise reasonable care includes paying attention to what is happening on the court while the official is on the court and has jurisdiction. This official failed to perform that duty.

Breach: The defendant breaches that duty through an act or culpable omission. Not paying attention to what is going on on the court most certainly qualifies as a culpable omission.

Damages: As a result of said act or omission, the plaintiff (a player) suffers an injury. If a player is injured because of an illegal play that happened while the official was not paying attention, that fulfills the damages criterion.

Causation: the injury to the plaintiff is a reasonably foreseeable consequence of the defendant's act or omission. If players see that an official is not paying attention, they may use that to illegally contact another player. If the illegal contact causes harm, then it is reasonable to imply causation from the official's inattention to the player's injury.

Thus, the criteria for the tort of negligence (and a lawsuit for negligence) against the official can be fulfilled, if a player is hurt because an official watches action on another court, without paying attention to his/ her own. In that scenario, a lawsuit would be reasonable, due to the official's inaction.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread on AAU Basketball (or lack thereof).
Old Sun Apr 22, 2018, 09:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

I did 4 AAU games this weekend, and it was girls. The games were tied to the Nike EYBL circuit. I had probably 14U-15U games. But the games were well-played, even the blow-outs. The coaches were not a problem at all. Only had one set of obnoxious fans out the 8 teams.

I'm very selective about what I work in the off-season. I used to have a 3-game limit, but I've pared that back to 2 game/day limit. After that, I don't want to be out there.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2018, 12:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Failing to monitor the situation for possible foul play, with said failure to pay attention to one's surroundings leading to bodily harm for another (a player) under the responsibility of the official can qualify as negligence, which is considered a tort. There are four elements to this tort, duty, breach, damages, and causation.

The duty of an official to exercise reasonable care includes paying attention to what is happening on the court while the official is on the court and has jurisdiction. This official failed to perform that duty.

Breach: The defendant breaches that duty through an act or culpable omission. Not paying attention to what is going on on the court most certainly qualifies as a culpable omission.

Damages: As a result of said act or omission, the plaintiff (a player) suffers an injury. If a player is injured because of an illegal play that happened while the official was not paying attention, that fulfills the damages criterion.

Causation: the injury to the plaintiff is a reasonably foreseeable consequence of the defendant's act or omission. If players see that an official is not paying attention, they may use that to illegally contact another player. If the illegal contact causes harm, then it is reasonable to imply causation from the official's inattention to the player's injury.

Thus, the criteria for the tort of negligence (and a lawsuit for negligence) against the official can be fulfilled, if a player is hurt because an official watches action on another court, without paying attention to his/ her own. In that scenario, a lawsuit would be reasonable, due to the official's inaction.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread on AAU Basketball (or lack thereof).

You'd better be a damned good official to overcome whatever it is you've shown on this board. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Mon Apr 23, 2018, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

@justacoach was asking if I suggested that someone file a lawsuit if a player was fouled, I explained why it could happen, and why the plaintiff would have standing in court. In no way did I suggest that said lawsuit be filed.

Is EYBL the league that plays the games that officials work at camps in the DC Metro Area? I heard that they were one of the few AAU leagues that can be trusted.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2018, 10:26am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Is EYBL the league that plays the games that officials work at camps in the DC Metro Area? I heard that they were one of the few AAU leagues that can be trusted.
EYBL is a national AAU league sponsored by Nike. The boys have 4 stops where teams play a pre-arranged schedule of games (usually about 5 games in weekend). Think there are 40 teams involved. One of the stops is always the Boo Williams complex in Hampton, VA, which has always been officiated by the MEAC staff camp. Others are places like Minneapolis, Houston, Las Vegas, San Francisco. The finals are always played in North Augusta, GA (Peach Jam) and are officiated by some sort of SEC consortium related camp. In Hampton, other national AAU teams at lower age levels also participate in a standard AAU style tournament.

I'm not sure how the girls EYBL is run.