The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   AAU Tournaments and peer-pressure to move the games along... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103777-aau-tournaments-peer-pressure-move-games-along.html)

BrentD2222 Wed Apr 18, 2018 03:48pm

AAU Tournaments and peer-pressure to move the games along...

I hate doing some AAU tournaments because I feel like the organizers pressure the refs to only keep the games moving. IMHO I've seen games end up taking longer and being far more out of control due to unruly behavior due to so many no calls. They end up becoming rock fights and getting very messy down the stretch.

I've been ashamed of some of the games I've been part of due to partners unwillingness to blow their wistle. I hear comments like "I'm not calling shit, I just want to go home, this is my last game".

I attended my son's game this past weekend. While I was not officiating many of the parents know I am an official, so I was forced to field a lot of questions which I either correctly defend the on court officials or explain how angles and views of what happens are a lot different on the court. The game was a shit show. One ref was very solid. The other refused to blow his wistle and also refused to switch ends on any calls. Keep in mind my son's team won the game so this isn't sour grapes. It was concern for player safety and enjoyment of the game. With the exception of one player on the other team who very loudly enjoyed the shit show taunting fans, players, the coach etc. I don't think anyone coaches, fans, players enjoyed that game (except for that douche bag player).

What if anything should be done when you observe an official clearly not caring and putting players at jepordy. He no-called some of the most insane two hand shoves. Trips, two hand shoves... flagrent fouls that would be ejections or min. techs at any scholastic game. Once the player in question swiped at the testicles of another player knocking to his knees. The ref that was in question let out a small chuckle, his only response.

The parents all said we do not yell at the refs out of respect for you knowing you are an official, but when they are not even trying how can we stand for that. I didn't know what to say.

PS - The solid official started the game alone for the first 5 minutes, he was young, but solid. The older guy finally showed up and clearly wanted to go home early was in the young offials ear influencing him (peer-pressure) to lay off his whistle.

It for sure solidified my unwant to officiate AAU tournaments. Especially those that are not run by organizers that care about anything other then the revenue.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Raymond Wed Apr 18, 2018 03:52pm

Don't officiate at such venues and don't allow your child(ren) to play at such venues.

#olderthanilook Wed Apr 18, 2018 04:13pm

testes testes....1....2....

JRutledge Wed Apr 18, 2018 05:38pm

One more reason not to work any AAU ball outside of a camp situation.

Peace

BrentD2222 Wed Apr 18, 2018 06:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1020913)
Don't officiate at such venues and don't allow your child(ren) to play at such venues.

Couldn't agree more. Lesson learned.

so cal lurker Wed Apr 18, 2018 07:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1020913)
and don't allow your child(ren) to play at such venues.

Easier said than done. Without playing on a club, its tough to "keep up with the Jones" in modern basketball once you get to HS and HS coaches expect that player are playing in the off season.

My son has just come to terms with the fact that the refs will probably stink at those games--when they are merely bad it is a pleasant surprise.

ODog Wed Apr 18, 2018 09:50pm

Everyone should check out AAU Bingo on Twitter to see the most hilarious, despicable and predictable stuff week in and week out (officiating-related and otherwise) in the cesspool/circus that is AAU basketball.

BrentD2222 Wed Apr 18, 2018 09:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1020926)
Easier said than done. Without playing on a club, its tough to "keep up with the Jones" in modern basketball once you get to HS and HS coaches expect that player are playing in the off season.

My son has just come to terms with the fact that the refs will probably stink at those games--when they are merely bad it is a pleasant surprise.

I agree even more with this.

Nevadaref Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentD2222 (Post 1020911)

It for sure solidified my unwant to officiate AAU tournaments. Especially those that are not run by organizers that care about anything other then the revenue.

AAU basketball exists for one reason only--to make $ for those running the tournaments. Do not ever forget that fact.

Now, the solution to the problems that you've highlighted is to pay the officials more for those AAU games. That will attract more officials and a better quality of officials. They won't be so tired after doing 16 games in a weekend and those on the court will have the pride to handle the games with respect.

Until that happens, the tournaments will get exactly what they pay for.

BrentD2222 Thu Apr 19, 2018 01:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1020932)
AAU basketball exists for one reason only--to make $ for those running the tournaments. Do not ever forget that fact.

Now, the solution to the problems that you've highlighted is to pay the officials more for those AAU games. That will attract more officials and a better quality of officials. They won't be so tired after doing 16 games in a weekend and those on the court will have the pride to handle the games with respect.

I couldn't agree more. I was saying this exact thing this past weekend. These refs got $27 a game meantime the score keeper girl was 13 years old got $5.

They probably made $30K off this tournament. Not bad for 2 days of shitty basketball.

BrentD2222 Thu Apr 19, 2018 01:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 1020929)
Everyone should check out AAU Bingo on Twitter to see the most hilarious, despicable and predictable stuff week in and week out (officiating-related and otherwise) in the cesspool/circus that is AAU basketball.

This cracked me up and made me sad at the same time.

SC Official Thu Apr 19, 2018 07:37am

If you haven't learned this already, you will quickly find out that there will ALWAYS be officials (and even camp clinicians) willing to sell their souls to these tournament organizers.

The cheap buck is more important to lots of officials than doing what's right for the game of basketball. Because when you call a game the way it's supposed to be called, many times that will just upset the organizers and the paying teams. It is what it is.

The simple answer is to not do these games because you're not going to be a trailblazer. Of course, that's easier to say if you don't need the money or you're not a less experienced official trying to work on things.

ilyazhito Thu Apr 19, 2018 08:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1020932)

Pay more for officials, and use 3-man crews. 3-man crews are better for off-ball coverage, game management (preventing the dumb stuff), and seeing illegal action than 2-man crews are. This would be especially useful for AAU ball.

Rich Thu Apr 19, 2018 08:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1020938)
Pay more for officials, and use 3-man crews. 3-man crews are better for off-ball coverage, game management (preventing the dumb stuff), and seeing illegal action than 2-man crews are. This would be especially useful for AAU ball.

This is just an example of naivety here.

Those holding the tournaments also decide on the number of officials and what they're going to pay them. If they can get the games covered with 2 officials on each court and pay them $20, they will. If they can't, they'll slowly raise the game fees till they get enough.

3-person? Why would they EVER do that? They don't really care how well the games are officiated. 3-person would be $25 extra per court per hour that they can't stick in their pockets.

Working glorified street ball in 2-person crews will never make anyone a better official. I stopped doing this stuff decades ago when I no longer needed to whore myself out to help pay the rent.

If it was 3-person and paid reasonably well, I'd do it only to see more plays, etc. But how is a 2-person game going to benefit me at this point in my life, when I work no 2-person games in the season?

I really don't care about this stuff anymore. If people want to go make $100 dealing with that stuff for 4 hours, good for them.

sdoebler Thu Apr 19, 2018 09:01am

We have a decent amount of summer tournaments that assign 3 person. It is quite nice and obviously attracts better referees. Games are generally 25/game 2 person or 20/game 3 person so for the extra 10/game it can be worth it to the tournament.