The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Peer Evaluation Form

Do any of you have an evalution form in your state or your local association that you would share with me?

I am trying to start a program of peer evaluation in our local association and I am looking for ideas on format, questions, etc.

Thanks.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2007, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Breynolds,

Would you consider moving to Pennsylvania ? Ask for Brad Cashman. He is the head of the Pa. Interscholastic Athletic Assoc. which oversees all NFHS schools. In PA they do not evaluate officials. Your ability is determined on local popularity. " he's not a very good official but he's a great guy. Let's give him a Championship game this weekend "
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan
Breynolds,

Would you consider moving to Pennsylvania ? Ask for Brad Cashman. He is the head of the Pa. Interscholastic Athletic Assoc. which oversees all NFHS schools. In PA they do not evaluate officials. Your ability is determined on local popularity. " he's not a very good official but he's a great guy. Let's give him a Championship game this weekend "
I used to hate these kinds of comments. But the more experienced I get the more I see this is the case. I saw a crew take a full 3 minutes and 10 seconds to get a live-ball/dead-ball enforcement taken care of. It was penalty enforcement 101 and was on television. It was a hold by the offense and a dead-ball PF by the defense. 1/2 distance penalty by offense, then the full 15 yards by the defense. Simple stuff. And, in the same crew I saw the H literally 3 feet away (on the field) from the DB and the receiver. He could reach out and touch them. And the LJ was flying in to the center of the field as if the line to gain was threatened on every single play. 1st and 10 and the play gains 2 yards. He was flying from the sideline inside the hashmarks to get to the exact blade of grass where the ball became dead.

Not sour grapes. Frankly, I don't give a damn. If that's who you want officiating your state semi, more power to 'ya. I would work a D-III game between two 0-7 teams before I would want a state semi. This 7-man crew stuff is flat-out fun, and professional! Everybody WANTS and WORKS to be good and it shows!
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

We have playoff games assisgned to our association by the state. Then, we have our executive board assign individuals. We don't do crews anymore. We believe that we have stronger crews in the playoffs this way, plus, it gives the strong individual on a weak crew the chance to do a playoff game. During the course of the season, our board does observations of games and takes notes on the individuals, so that we have concrete data on which to make judgments. We have catergories such as signals, hustle, position, coverage, appearance, mobility, etc. in which we take notes. We use the notes to give feedback to the individual official. It takes some effort on the part of the board, but it has caused some individuals to see the areas to work on and it has improved the overall level of officiating by our association.

This system of using mixed (all-star) crews has impressed the state office to the point that we are getting more playoff games than we used to get. As a WH, I feel more confident out there with the strongest individuals on my crew in the playoffs.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
I used to hate these kinds of comments. But the more experienced I get the more I see this is the case. I saw a crew take a full 3 minutes and 10 seconds to get a live-ball/dead-ball enforcement taken care of. It was penalty enforcement 101 and was on television. It was a hold by the offense and a dead-ball PF by the defense. 1/2 distance penalty by offense, then the full 15 yards by the defense. Simple stuff. And, in the same crew I saw the H literally 3 feet away (on the field) from the DB and the receiver. He could reach out and touch them. And the LJ was flying in to the center of the field as if the line to gain was threatened on every single play. 1st and 10 and the play gains 2 yards. He was flying from the sideline inside the hashmarks to get to the exact blade of grass where the ball became dead.

Not sour grapes. Frankly, I don't give a damn. If that's who you want officiating your state semi, more power to 'ya. I would work a D-III game between two 0-7 teams before I would want a state semi. This 7-man crew stuff is flat-out fun, and professional! Everybody WANTS and WORKS to be good and it shows!
I know these kind of comments are not well received. It's just that the athlete's on the field are being shortchanged. The athlete's should be getting first class officiating every week. It takes dedication and work to achieve first class officiating. In my area the little amount of evaluation that gets done, is done during the playoffs. I think that's a little too late to do the evaluation. I really love officiating football but over the winter months I am going think real hard about getting out. If I do get out, I can guarantee I will start a campaign to improve officiating in my area of PA. My computer flash drive has lots of room and I will make the time attend games and fill it up. Local Chapter rules interpetor's and Assignor's will have ample opportunity to review. However, I will not embarrass anyone. There's enough of that going on.
Dedication and work. If officials do not want to do it, they should get out or be put out.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breynolds
Do any of you have an evalution form in your state or your local association that you would share with me?

I am trying to start a program of peer evaluation in our local association and I am looking for ideas on format, questions, etc.

Thanks.
There was a form produced by NASO a few years ago which I thought was quite good. Take a look at the Referee web site.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Ed.

That is a nice looking form. That will be very helpful.

Bryan