The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Womens NBA Path

Interesting article:
Revolution Interrupted: Why Has the NBA's Effort to Hire Female Refs Stalled? | Bleacher Report
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

"But it's not hard to conclude that the salary differential among officials contributes directly to the gender pay gap and, likely, to the marginalization of women off the court."

See, it's sentences like these that show the bias of the journalist. WNBA officials get paid less because the WNBA can't afford to pay them more. They can't afford to pay them more because people don't watch the WNBA as much as the WNBA, so advertisers don't buy ad time at a premium cost. Why don't people watch? Because it's not as exciting as the NBA? I don't know, I don't watch the NBA.

If we are going down the path of under represented groups, why not point out the fact that half the NBA staff is black and the other half white? Where are the Asians and Hispanics?

Hell, Palmer answered the question when she pointed out that you can make better money with less headaches by sticking to the NCAA.

The only true sexism I see is NCAAM, where being a women means you won't make it. At all. Holtkamp did an interview where she was told by a supervisor that he wouldn't hire her to do Men's College. Why not use that quote? And at the HS level where a woman working a Boy's game is infrequent enough to merit a double-take. Yet that's in all sports here in NoVA.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 12:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is my question. Does the NBA have many women's officials qualified to work the NBA? Because if they are not working the G-League or any other major Men's basketball level, do you have anyone available to pick up? Now that problem might stem from the fact that women do not get many opportunities in college or high school at all and never go that route, but how do you get women getting certain opportunities if they never go in that direction?

Peace
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Classic "chicken or egg--which came first?" type of issue. I've seen here in Kansas where female refs who do boys games are trippared with 2 men and seldom 1 other woman. I have spoke with female ref colleagues and they have expressed that issues like separate changing rooms, issues of seniority, and availability come into play [no pun intended]. I for one, whenever I get paired with a female, I am very stern with the coaches and anyone who tries to de-credit their officiating acumen.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Mon Apr 02, 2018 at 02:20pm.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 02:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Here is my question. Does the NBA have many women's officials qualified to work the NBA? Because if they are not working the G-League or any other major Men's basketball level, do you have anyone available to pick up? Now that problem might stem from the fact that women do not get many opportunities in college or high school at all and never go that route, but how do you get women getting certain opportunities if they never go in that direction?

Peace
The same faces showing up in the Women's Final for the last 20 years indicates to me that the college ranks are not doing a good job of developing talent.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The same faces showing up in the Women's Final for the last 20 years indicates to me that the college ranks are not doing a good job of developing talent.
Maybe it is time to integrate the men's and women's staffs, train them together, and have all basketball officials get experience working both genders . In that case, women's officials might benefit from the apparently superior training that the men's officials are getting. If HS and NBA officials can work both genders, there is no reason why it is not possible in college. Perhaps J.D. Collins can get women's officials to stop the clock as consistently as the men's officials do .

With integrated staffs, women will be more likely to advance in NCAAM basketball to a level on par with men. Perhaps then the Case of the Missing Female Officials can be solved .
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is a pretty good point, I think there is a period of time where officials are in there "prime" so you see them year in and year out for a span of time. What is the longest stretch of time a mens official appeared in final fours?
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 04:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Maybe it is time to integrate the men's and women's staffs, train them together, and have all basketball officials get experience working both genders . In that case, women's officials might benefit from the apparently superior training that the men's officials are getting. If HS and NBA officials can work both genders, there is no reason why it is not possible in college. Perhaps J.D. Collins can get women's officials to stop the clock as consistently as the men's officials do .

With integrated staffs, women will be more likely to advance in NCAAM basketball to a level on par with men. Perhaps then the Case of the Missing Female Officials can be solved .
The women don't have to stop the clock on out of bounds plays. You'll find that mechanically the NCAA Women's side is more in tune with NBA.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 04:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post

Perhaps the women can get the men to eliminate the unnecessary stop clock mechanic?
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 04:32pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Perhaps the women can get the men to eliminate the unnecessary stop clock mechanic?
Yes please.

JD, the hand doesn't stop the clock. The whistle does. Never had a clockkeeper stop the clock when I threw my hand in the air.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 04:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
20 years? Dee Kantner has worked the Final Four every year (except her NBA years) since 1992.

They could keep people like Kantner home every other year and identify people who would do just as good of a job. They don't, however.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 08:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post

If we are going down the path of under represented groups, why not point out the fact that half the NBA staff is black and the other half white? Where are the Asians and Hispanics?

justacoach oversees a crew of officials who are working on changing that.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post

To answer your question - getting hired into and groomed in the G-League over the past 3-4 years.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 09:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncorrectCall View Post
To answer your question - getting hired into and groomed in the G-League over the past 3-4 years.
I work on college staffs with at least 4 such individuals, 3 of whom are related, and all of whom are young, in-shape, and hungry.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2018, 10:44am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
HDoes the NBA have many women's officials qualified to work the NBA? Because if they are not working the G-League or any other major Men's basketball level, do you have anyone available to pick up?
16 of 62 on the G League staff are women, as of my quick count.
https://www.referee.com/2017-18-nati...league-roster/