The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yeah but other states do not rely so heavily on property taxes to fund schools, they use other funds. So if you are in a rural community that has not a lot of property taxpayers (you would not be if you lived in an apartment for example), then that might be the disparity in why a place like Naperville can afford a lot of things to fund their school and Maywood down the road has a different income bracket.

Peace
It’s not like the apartment owner would pay property tax or anything.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post

I always chuckles when someone thinks apartment dwellers don't pay property tax. They may not write the check to the county directly but they do write it 12 times a year to their landlord. Anyone that thinks that renters don't contribute to property taxes is naive.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 11:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
My goodness, really. What does he think is in the rent people pay? Everyone who lives anywhere pays property taxes, either directly or indirectly.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 11:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You realize what property taxes are right? You have to own the property to pay personally those taxes and also can be deducted in many cases off of other state or Federal taxes based on the usage of that property. Not the case when you rent, at least not in Illinois. It was not a deduction or part of the overall tax bill when I lived in an apartment.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 01:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
"a shot clock would significantly ease administration of the closely-guarded rule"

But create administration problems of a shot clock, with sub-varsity and middle school tables? I'd rather have the onus of a closely-guarded count on my shoulders.
It's a lot simpler to properly administer closely guarded plays than it is to administer a shot clock. I hope that is not to supposed to a major talking point in regards to the need for a shot clock.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 01:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You realize what property taxes are right? You have to own the property to pay personally those taxes and also can be deducted in many cases off of other state or Federal taxes based on the usage of that property. Not the case when you rent, at least not in Illinois. It was not a deduction or part of the overall tax bill when I lived in an apartment.

Peace
Additionally, there are a lot more people per square foot in an apartment complex as opposed single family dwellings. So depending how the property taxes are calculated and the value of the land and structure, there is not a one-for-one trade off between apartment buildings and single family dwellings.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It's a lot simpler to properly administer closely guarded plays than it is to administer a shot clock. I hope that is not to supposed to a major talking point in regards to the need for a shot clock.
I agree--that was my point. I was responding to ilyazhito's comment, which I quoted, which implied shot clocks would be easier.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

I wanted to pile on the property tax discussion, but several posters beat me to the punch. Of course property taxes are passed off to renters in some form or another.

MPA Univ of Oklahoma ‘10

I think this thread has run its course, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 01:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Additionally, there are a lot more people per square foot in an apartment complex as opposed single family dwellings. So depending how the property taxes are calculated and the value of the land and structure, there is not a one-for-one trade off between apartment buildings and single family dwellings.
But the bottom line of all of this, you do not pay directly property taxes when you rent. You are not the owner of the property so you do not get that counted towards your overall tax bill. And it is state and jurisdiction run in Illinois, not from the Federal Government.

I cannot even believe this is a discussion. I referenced Naperville where I used to live and many people had 5 figure property tax bills and I can tell you I never had that when I lived there for my 2 years.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Jeff got it sorted out for us.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 04:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Cool

I'm kinda slow so I'm going to make sure I'm understanding all you smug tax experts correctly.

Over here we have a cul-de-sac (call it YourHood) which houses ten $1M homes and 20 public school students who attend the Bluebood school district. One mile away on the other side of the railroad tracks there is a run-down apartment building (MyHood) which has 20 units and 40 public school students who attend the Blue Collar school district. Soooo, the same amount of property taxes are being collected from MyHood as are being collected from YourHood? Really?
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm kinda slow so I'm going to make sure I'm understanding all you smug tax experts correctly.

Over here we have a cul-de-sac (call it YourHood) which houses ten $1M homes and 20 public school students who attend the Bluebood school district. One mile away on the other side of the railroad tracks there is a run-down apartment building (MyHood) which has 20 units and 40 public school students who attend the Blue Collar school district. Soooo, the same amount of property taxes are being collected from MyHood as are being collected from YourHood? Really?
There are heckuva lot of people in this country that, indeed, say this is the way it works.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

We went from closely guarded to taxes, lol.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Certainly not the same amount of money but everyone that is paying anything for just about anything is paying some amount that goes to property taxes. It is built into the price. Being hidden in the price is a clever way to keep people form realizing how much tax is really paid.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2018, 07:45pm
Administrator

Five Seconds Closely Guarded!!

How did this thread go from the Closely Guarded Rule to property taxes?

Please lets get this thread back on the tracks.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed Apr 04, 2018 at 10:42pm. Reason: Corrected punctuation.