The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 03:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fair At Best ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
That's should be the state's HS governing body's responsibility. Coaches should be mandated to attend an in-person or online rules clinic.
Our state interscholastic sports governing body gives this responsibility to each local IAABO board. The governing body, and each local IAABO board, as well as the IAABO state board, have a very close working relationship, in fact, all basketball officials belong (at $12.00 each) to the governing body's official's group.

School athletic directors strongly encourage at least one member of their boys and girls coaching staffs to attend our preseason coaches meeting. Attendance is fair at best.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 07, 2018 at 04:04pm.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
If you were going to have a meeting with High school coaches before the season begins what would you share with them about officiating to educate them andimprove relationships?

I expect that we will be limited to about an hour or so.
I will just add to the list.

Tell your players that yelling "AND ONE" after every goddamn shot is going to result in a warning followed by a technical and we will just keep going with technicals until we clear the gym.

Signed- an official sick of hearing "AND ONE" after every goddamn shot.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanjj68 View Post
I will just add to the list.

Tell your players that yelling "AND ONE" after every goddamn shot is going to result in a warning followed by a technical and we will just keep going with technicals until we clear the gym.

Signed- an official sick of hearing "AND ONE" after every goddamn shot.
what do you actually do about it in your games. because i don't believe that the warning then T actually works, or is acceptable, by any means (at least at higher levels).
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 07:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

T-Worthy ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
... don't believe that ... T actually ... is acceptable ...
Agree.

Unsporting? Maybe/not sure.

Warning ("Knock it off.")? Possibly, but only under extreme circumstances.

T-Worthy? No.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 07, 2018 at 07:41pm.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

T-Worthy? No.
As a throwaway line, diarrhea of the mouth, agreed. But if you clearly direct it at me in a loud, suggestive fashion, absolutely a T. I've called that in varsity boys and will continue to do so.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
what do you actually do about it in your games. because i don't believe that the warning then T actually works, or is acceptable, by any means (at least at higher levels).
I warn the coach, then go to the T. It works.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
As a throwaway line, diarrhea of the mouth, agreed. But if you clearly direct it at me in a loud, suggestive fashion, absolutely a T. I've called that in varsity boys and will continue to do so.
Agreed. Not sure why anyone here would say it's not T worthy. I'm sure everyone here is seeing it more and more. I know I am and I find warning the coach and then T-ing the player or bench if necessary shuts it right down.

I just tell the coach "Coach, tell your players we are not doing the AND ONE on every shot." Most of them handle it.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 07:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Move On And Play The Game ...

Quote:
... not sure why anyone here would say it's not T worthy ...
Quote:
... only under extreme circumstances.
If it's directed at the official as a serious complaint about a foul not being called, then it may be an unsporting issue, and handled like any other unsporting issue (oral warning, written warning (bench), technical foul). But around here the statement is often an automatic response from players, substitutes, and fans, that there may have been some contact, but after being said, they just move on and play the game.

Yes, it is possible that in extreme circumstances, it can be unsporting, but around here it has become so common place that it often doesn't even register as an irritant anymore. Sometimes I just smile, and shake my head, sometimes I just ignore.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 08, 2018 at 08:06am.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Oddly, PA's pre-season new-rules/POEs meeting is only mandatory for varsity coaches, not JV or middle school. I don't think sub-varsity coaches are even informed about it.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If it's directed at the official as a serious complaint about a foul not being called, then it may be an unsporting issue, and handled like any other unsporting issue (oral warning, written warning (bench), technical foul). But around here the statement is often an automatic response from players, substitutes, and fans, that there may have been some contact, but after being said, they just move on and play the game.

Yes, it is possible that in extreme circumstances, it can be unsporting, but around here it has become so common place that it often doesn't even register as an irritant anymore. Sometimes I just smile, and shake my head, sometimes I just ignore.
I ignore if it's once in a while. But I have had games where literally players are saying it, or screaming it after every. single. shot. So I am specifically referring to that scenario.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 09:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Get Back On Defense ...

Quote:
... screaming it ...
Yes, I guess that this can be a problem. We just don't see that around here on the varsity high school level. Players just say it (like Pavlov's dog) and immediately get back on defense, since the ball is still in play after a made basket. If a player decides to spend time screaming at an official rather than getting back on defense, it isn't going to be official that takes care of business, it will be the coach, as in, "Take a seat on the bench".

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 08, 2018 at 09:35am.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Players just say it (like Pavlov's dog) and immediately get back on defense, since the ball is still in play after a made basket.
But then, I've never noticed a correlation between the shot actually going in the basket and the player saying "and one" . . .
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 03:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Do You Still Want Just One Free Throw ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
But then, I've never noticed a correlation between the shot actually going in the basket and the player saying "and one" . . .
If the shot doesn't go in the player still has to get back on defense, not much time to scream at me (unless the ball goes out of bounds, or something else like that).

I get a kick out of players saying "And one", then I decide to call the foul (not because of what the player said, but because I was patient with my call, and then the ball falls off the rim. I feel like saying, "Do you still want just one free throw?", but, of course, I'm much more professional than that. Professional is my middle name. Billy Professional Mac. Yep. That's me.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 08, 2018 at 03:51pm.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) Review last season's new rules, and points of emphasis.
2) New rules, and points of emphasis.
3) The always confusing (for coaches) equipment color restrictions (undershirts, sleeves, headbands, wristbands).
4) Questions about new rules, or old rules that require more detailed explanations (block/charge, screens, closely guarded, etc.)
5) Goodnight. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.

I wouldn't even broach the subject of sportsmanship, and bench decorum, they already know the rules regarding such. Not the time and place for these topics.
I could see something along the lines of "Questioning a single call is much more effective than questioning every call." But yeah, I don't know if I'd go much further than that.