The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dixie
Posts: 71
HC won't come to captains/coaches meeting

Any of you guys ever have a varsity head coach refuse to come to the captains/coaches meeting? Obviously had a bug up his butt about something, but not doing many of his games, I didn't know the story. He sent his assistant.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PG County, MD
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
Any of you guys ever have a varsity head coach refuse to come to the captains/coaches meeting? Obviously had a bug up his butt about something, but not doing many of his games, I didn't know the story. He sent his assistant.
A few years ago, we had that issue with a few head coaches in our area. Our organization contacted the powers that be for the school system (those responsible for the coaches). They directed the head coaches to attend or else ...
__________________
You learn something new everyday ...
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
A few years ago, we had that issue with a few head coaches in our area. Our organization contacted the powers that be for the school system (those responsible for the coaches). They directed the head coaches to attend or else ...
Frankly if I were a coach I wouldn't want to hear the same old thing every night, either.

So locally, we meet with the captains at around 6:00, then go over to the benches at around 2:00 for a handshake and a few words with the coaches. Works well when we go to their "turf". We make sure to be done by 1:00 so we don't interfere with their final instructions to the team before the intros/anthem/tip.

I understand in some states a formal meeting is required, sometimes even with a required sportsmanship speech read off a card. If so, c'est la vie.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Frankly if I were a coach I wouldn't want to hear the same old thing every night, either.

So locally, we meet with the captains at around 6:00, then go over to the benches at around 2:00 for a handshake and a few words with the coaches. Works well when we go to their "turf". We make sure to be done by 1:00 so we don't interfere with their final instructions to the team before the intros/anthem/tip.

I understand in some states a formal meeting is required, sometimes even with a required sportsmanship speech read off a card. If so, c'est la vie.
We do a similar thing here. I really like doing it separately, I think it gives a little bit of ownership to the captains
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 08, 2015, 11:36pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,398
Send a message via AIM to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Send a message via MSN to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Send a message via Yahoo to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
Any of you guys ever have a varsity head coach refuse to come to the captains/coaches meeting? Obviously had a bug up his butt about something, but not doing many of his games, I didn't know the story. He sent his assistant.


What state are you in? OhioHSAA and MichiganHSAA has no such requirement.

MTD, Sr.


P.S. I wouldn't want the coaches to hear what I tell the Captains in the Captains' Meeting: "That the Captains are the ones in charge of the their respective teams including Bench Personnel." Meaning I will be coming to them first, where practical, to take care of problems. From a historical perspective Coaches were and after thought in the Rules and Captains, many times, are a bigger help at solving problems than Coaches, especially when ending Timeouts.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu Jan 08, 2015 at 11:41pm. Reason: Added P.S.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 12:21am
Back from the DL
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,538
Head coach is required at the coaches'/captains' meetings. I don't know of any consequence if a coach refuses, except maybe for, "Coach, this game won't start until you join us."
__________________
Confidence is a vehicle, not a destination.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 12:23am
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,398
Send a message via AIM to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Send a message via MSN to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Send a message via Yahoo to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Head coach is required at the coaches'/captains' meetings. I don't know of any consequence if a coach refuses, except maybe for, "Coach, this game won't start until you join us."

Bainsey:

Is the presence required in the State of Maine?

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 12:44am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,590
We walk to the benches at some point around or after the 2:00 mark before the game. If there are not there, oh well. Our captain's meeting is held at center court, usually around the 12:00 mark.

Years ago, when I got my first game as a BV crew chief, the home team coach hung out at the far end of the bench when we approached. He didn't come up to meet us so I started my "coach's box, full or 30 time-out" spiel to the assistants. He came up quickly and stated emphatically that he was the HC. I responded by saying "you weren't here, so I spoke to who was available". To this day he still is on my list of coaches I really don't like b/c he is always an a-hole to newer guys working his games.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 09, 2015 at 12:49am.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 12:50am
Back from the DL
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Is the presence required in the State of Maine?
It's been a few years since we were told this, but if I recall correctly, our instructions stated the head coach is required at those pre-game meetings.
__________________
Confidence is a vehicle, not a destination.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 03:40am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 27,936
It is required in our state for IHSA contests the HC must attend. If they do not attend they can be written up by an official with a Special Report.

This happen to me and my partners years ago, the coach got a phone call from the IHSA Basketball Administrator the very next school day. Our state takes this seriously.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 08:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dixie
Posts: 71
Mark, I am in Alabama. It seems to me one of the main reasons for the meeting is to identify the head coaches. I can understand getting tired of the same old spiel, but it sets the tone of sportsmanship and professionality for the game and can only be construed as disrespectful to the officials and the opposing HC.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 09:41am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
What state are you in? OhioHSAA and MichiganHSAA has no such requirement.

MTD, Sr.


P.S. I wouldn't want the coaches to hear what I tell the Captains in the Captains' Meeting: "That the Captains are the ones in charge of the their respective teams including Bench Personnel." Meaning I will be coming to them first, where practical, to take care of problems. From a historical perspective Coaches were and after thought in the Rules and Captains, many times, are a bigger help at solving problems than Coaches, especially when ending Timeouts.
Historically, we're not working in 1955. Now, the coaches are in charge.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 09:43am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Historically, we're not working in 1955. Now, the coaches are in charge.
This.

We get the captains at 12:00. By 11:30, I'm on my way to the table.

We start walking over to the visiting coach about 1:45. No formal coaches meeting here other than asking if their players are legally attired/equipped.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 09:52am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Detroit Metro
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
What state are you in? OhioHSAA and MichiganHSAA has no such requirement.

MTD, Sr.
Kansas:
PRE-GAME CONFERENCE WITH COACHES, PLAYERS & OFFICIALS
Prior to each game starting the officials, coaches and captains are to meet for a pre-game conference. ... The KSHSAA recommends using a single conference pre-game. At approximately the 10:00 mark the other officials will go across the floor to join the referee and greet the coaches. The referee goes to the area in front of the score table and the U1 and U2 get the respective coaches and captains. After introductions the referee will conduct a pre-game conference discussing legal equipment, sporting behavior and addressing other questions.

Missouri:
H. Pre-Game Conference: Officials shall conduct a pre-game conference before each contest at center court
which the head coach of both teams (not a representative of the head coach), each team’s captains, and all the
officials much attend to discuss sportsmanship, game procedures, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 09, 2015, 10:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No formal coaches meeting here other than asking if their players are legally attired/equipped.

I have pretty much discontinued this. If they are illegally equipped, such as a weird color undershirt or whatever, then there is not penalty for the head coach, even if he says yes, and regardless of their answer I'm sending the player out of the game to fix the problem.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FED coaches and captains meeting constable Basketball 44 Tue Oct 29, 2013 05:09pm
Meeting with captains/coaches before game maroonx Basketball 25 Tue Dec 18, 2012 09:28pm
Captains/Coaches Pregame meeting MelbRef Basketball 25 Wed Jan 21, 2009 05:23am
Pre-game meeting with coaches/captains Vinski Basketball 15 Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:40am
No coaches/captains meeting in Nevada? Back In The Saddle Basketball 19 Sat Dec 18, 2004 06:04am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1