The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Newport News Virginia
Posts: 77
Advice on UIC meeting with coaches!

Good Day All


I have used this forum quite often and you guys are really knowledgable umpires. I will be the Umpire in Chief for this upcoming Memorial Day weekend which includes 9 fields, it is a AAU State Tournament for 9-12 year olds here in Virginia. I have been given the duty of meeting with all the coaches this upcoming Friday night, what are some of things I should cover? In the past I have covered things such as (1) sportmanship and safety supercedes everything on the fields. (2) Umpires will only acknowledge head coaches (meaning coach that was at the pre-game meeting) if their is a question about any play or rule interpertation during the game. (3)The on deck batter must stay on his dugout side while on deck. What are some other things that I might want too add, so my weekend can be a little smoother.

Thanks for all the info.
__________________
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.


Tim Harris
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 47
Coach's meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by timharris
Good Day All


I have used this forum quite often and you guys are really knowledgable umpires. I will be the Umpire in Chief for this upcoming Memorial Day weekend which includes 9 fields, it is a AAU State Tournament for 9-12 year olds here in Virginia. I have been given the duty of meeting with all the coaches this upcoming Friday night, what are some of things I should cover? In the past I have covered things such as (1) sportmanship and safety supercedes everything on the fields. (2) Umpires will only acknowledge head coaches (meaning coach that was at the pre-game meeting) if their is a question about any play or rule interpertation during the game. (3)The on deck batter must stay on his dugout side while on deck. What are some other things that I might want too add, so my weekend can be a little smoother.

Thanks for all the info.
I'd make it mandatory that the Head Coach show up at the plate for the pre-game meeting! I'd drop #3. Coaches should know the rules. If #3 happens, just send the kid back to their own side. Let them know that you expect all players to get on and off the field quickly (hustle)! Keep the games moving!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern OH
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by timharris
Good Day All


I have used this forum quite often and you guys are really knowledgable umpires. I will be the Umpire in Chief for this upcoming Memorial Day weekend which includes 9 fields, it is a AAU State Tournament for 9-12 year olds here in Virginia. I have been given the duty of meeting with all the coaches this upcoming Friday night, what are some of things I should cover? In the past I have covered things such as (1) sportmanship and safety supercedes everything on the fields. (2) Umpires will only acknowledge head coaches (meaning coach that was at the pre-game meeting) if their is a question about any play or rule interpertation during the game. (3)The on deck batter must stay on his dugout side while on deck. What are some other things that I might want too add, so my weekend can be a little smoother.

Thanks for all the info.
If I were you I'd be very practical.
IMO when coaches hear anything about sportsmanship all they hear is blah blah blah blah blah. They've all heard it before and no one considers themselves unsportsmanlike so they tune it out.

So I would tell them:
"If you argue, question, complain or comment on balls and strikes you are at risk of being tossed. If you argue, question, complain or comment on any judgement call you are at risk of being tossed. Your assistant coaches have no standing at all with the umpires so they are at risk of being tossed when they show up(a little toungue in cheek, but a comment along that line would be good) Same goes for your players. As UIC I will stand behind the umpires 100% in these situations."

While you have their attention you might want to throw in a 5 minute rules seminar and disspell some of the common baseball myths that most frequently cause problems between uninformed coaches and umpires ie hands are part of the bat and tie goes to the runner etc etc.
It's not often that 9-12 yr old coaches have an umpire speak to them so take advantage of the opportunity to say something meaningful.
After all the 9-12 yr old coaches are the travel coaches of tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New England, Home of the Brave!
Posts: 312
Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Keep it simple:

Ask Manager about specific ground [field] rules or at least cover field rules if any apply.
Ask them if all players have proper gear.
Review any recent problems that seem important to you to advise them on [jewelery on players, etc].

"Send up your Batter, Skip".

Even this will be too much for some.
Just remember less is more.
__________________
Strikes are great.
Outs are better.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by timharris
Good Day All


I have used this forum quite often and you guys are really knowledgable umpires. I will be the Umpire in Chief for this upcoming Memorial Day weekend which includes 9 fields, it is a AAU State Tournament for 9-12 year olds here in Virginia. I have been given the duty of meeting with all the coaches this upcoming Friday night, what are some of things I should cover? In the past I have covered things such as (1) sportmanship and safety supercedes everything on the fields. (2) Umpires will only acknowledge head coaches (meaning coach that was at the pre-game meeting) if their is a question about any play or rule interpertation during the game. (3)The on deck batter must stay on his dugout side while on deck. What are some other things that I might want too add, so my weekend can be a little smoother.

Thanks for all the info.
As UIC for such tourneys in the past I have kept it very simple.

1) Ground rules (field and dugouts)

2) Coaches stay in the dugouts (or what every your ground rules are)

3) Keep them moving between innings

4) Coaches conduct (what you will allow and will not allow)

Other than that not too much unless you have had problems with a certain issue in the past and then I would deal with that also.

Thansk
DAvid
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Little Elm, TX (NW Dallas)
Posts: 4,047
Rcichon - read the OP again... he's not talking about plate conferences at all. He's the UIC for a tourney, and talking about his coach's meeting (assumedly taking place LONG before games start, and with ALL coaches in attendance).
__________________
"Many baseball fans look upon an umpire as a sort of necessary evil to the luxury of baseball, like the odor that follows an automobile." - Hall of Fame Pitcher Christy Mathewson
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:05pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 6,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
Keep it simple:

Ask Manager about specific ground [field] rules or at least cover field rules if any apply.
Ask them if all players have proper gear.
Review any recent problems that seem important to you to advise them on [jewelery on players, etc].

"Send up your Batter, Skip".

Even this will be too much for some.
Just remember less is more.
Reading Is Fundamental.
__________________
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Florida, Haddonfield NJ
Posts: 131
Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Coaches Responsibilities

Remind them that they are responsible for their :
1) Players
2) Asst. Coaches
3) Their fans behavior
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,491
Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Do you have any "special" rules for the tournament that are above and beyond the ones under the rule set you are playing under? Time limits, pitching restrictions, special ground rules, run rules, etc.

You might want to put them in writing and hand them to both the umps and managers before you start play. I've had it happen to me, something weird happens and there are no written guidelines to refer to.
__________________
Bob P.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
If I were you I'd be very practical.
IMO when coaches hear anything about sportsmanship all they hear is blah blah blah blah blah. They've all heard it before and no one considers themselves unsportsmanlike so they tune it out.

So I would tell them:
"If you argue, question, complain or comment on balls and strikes you are at risk of being tossed. If you argue, question, complain or comment on any judgement call you are at risk of being tossed. Your assistant coaches have no standing at all with the umpires so they are at risk of being tossed when they show up(a little toungue in cheek, but a comment along that line would be good) Same goes for your players. As UIC I will stand behind the umpires 100% in these situations."

While you have their attention you might want to throw in a 5 minute rules seminar and disspell some of the common baseball myths that most frequently cause problems between uninformed coaches and umpires ie hands are part of the bat and tie goes to the runner etc etc.
It's not often that 9-12 yr old coaches have an umpire speak to them so take advantage of the opportunity to say something meaningful.
After all the 9-12 yr old coaches are the travel coaches of tomorrow.

Well said.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 07:29pm
Stop staring at me swan.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,970
I have used this forum quite often and you guys are really knowledgable umpires

Now that is funny in so many ways! :-)
__________________
It's like Deja Vu all over again
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 07:32pm
Stop staring at me swan.
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,970
Tim, where did you get the quote on your signature??
__________________
It's like Deja Vu all over again
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SE Tennessee
Posts: 175
What rules set are you playing under, FED or OBR? That is where I would begin.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 1,577
Tourney

extra innings, time limits and tie breakers
protest resolutions w/in rule set per UIC or TD
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 08:12am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
Tim, where did you get the quote on your signature??
This quote is widely attributed to "Frank Outlaw" on the Web, but we've found no confirmation that this is the correct source. Popular quotation books including Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (17th ed., 2002), Roget's International Thesaurus of Quotations (1970) and The Harper Book of Quotations (3rd ed., 1993) do not include this quote or any reference to Frank Outlaw.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-game meeting with coaches/captains Vinski Basketball 15 Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:40am
Rules meeting with rec coaches DaveASA/FED Softball 7 Wed Oct 18, 2006 06:47pm
Advice: Be REAL clear w/ coaches ljudge Football 8 Mon Sep 19, 2005 07:17pm
No coaches/captains meeting in Nevada? Back In The Saddle Basketball 19 Sat Dec 18, 2004 06:04am
Meeting with coaches in locker room? cparef Football 15 Wed Nov 21, 2001 03:00pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1