The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Pre season coaches meeting

If you were going to have a meeting with High school coaches before the season begins what would you share with them about officiating to educate them andimprove relationships?

I expect that we will be limited to about an hour or so.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
If you were going to have a meeting with High school coaches before the season begins what would you share with them about officiating to educate them and improve relationships?
Confirmational bias.

The game is not called from the bench, but from the floor. If an official is hustling and in the right positions, give him/her the benefit of the doubt.

Don't comment or question every play and every call/no-call. Show some respect if you have a question or comment. If you want to pick a fight with an official, you will likely lose.

Don't officiate the game from the sideline.

FWIW, in the two PIAA sports I work (basketball and soccer), we have a mandatory pre-season coaches meeting, where the focus is solely on POEs.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

These meetings are ineffective. Almost every area has these "pre-season" meetings. They are as useful as pregame sportsmanship lectures. With no bite and enforcement rules and decor are worthless.

In the end treat coaches like adults and most will be fine. The few that aren't will be the same jerks they are no matter how many times you sit them down and "talk" to them. It's just life.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Good advice. Thanks.

We do 2 states, WV & Md. in WV coach come to a clinic, mandatory, in Md, they can, but rarely do.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 11:27am
AremRed

Empathy. How would they feel if they were treated the way they treat us?

“It’s not like I go to their work and knock the cocks out of their mouths.” — Jimmy Carr
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

I thought the question was what to discuss, not whether meetings are worthwhile.

OK, so how about: "Coaches, treat us like adults and we'll be fine"? [Fixed it.]

Last edited by LRZ; Wed Mar 07, 2018 at 12:57pm.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I thought the question was what to discuss, not whether meetings are worthwhile.

OK, so how about: "Coaches, treat us like adults and we'll be fine"?
The best thing to discuss are

1. these are the rules
2. these are the expectations
3. these are the penalties when 1&2 are not followed

Then follow up on point 3 during the season. I think it's sad that you want to discuss with adults that you want to be treated like one. Just act like one. Take care of business and your job. The rest, I have found, play themselves out fine.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

You don't recognize sarcasm when the quote paraphrases your comment? That's sad.

But I apologize for forgetting to use blue font.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
You don't recognize sarcasm when the quote paraphrases your comment? That's sad.

But I apologize for forgetting to use blue font.
apology accepted. It was very subtle in the contextual manner it was presented. touche.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 01:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) ...

1) Review last season's new rules, and points of emphasis.
2) New rules, and points of emphasis.
3) The always confusing (for coaches) equipment color restrictions (undershirts, sleeves, headbands, wristbands).
4) Questions about new rules, or old rules that require more detailed explanations (block/charge, screens, closely guarded, etc.)
5) Goodnight. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.

I wouldn't even broach the subject of sportsmanship, and bench decorum, they already know the rules regarding such. Not the time and place for these topics.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 07, 2018 at 01:57pm.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 02:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
1) Review last season's new rules, and points of emphasis.
2) New rules, and points of emphasis.
3) The always confusing (for coaches) equipment color restrictions (undershirts, sleeves, headbands, wristbands).
4) Questions about new rules, or old rules that require more detailed explanations (block/charge, screens, closely guarded, etc.)
5) Goodnight. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.

I wouldn't even broach the subject of sportsmanship, and bench decorum, they already know the rules regarding such. Not the time and place for these topics.
Discussing rules with coaches is pointless. They aren't going to remember them.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches in WV take the same NFHS Part I that we take.

There is no minimum score for them but it does give them a sense of their knowledge of the rules.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 02:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Don't Stand In Front Of The Table ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Discussing rules with coaches is pointless. They aren't going to remember them.
Well they certainly remembered the rule change from last year, as they often coached from the down near the endline. Somebody was listening, and somebody remembered.

Somebody's got to tell them when the NFHS changes rules.

Like the big change a few years ago when we went from the hit to the release on free throws. Or the emphasis on freedom of movement against ball handlers, and post players.

They may be able to read about rule changes somewhere, but they may not understand many of the changes without someone in the "know" explaining the subtle intricacies, and permutations, to them.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 02:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Well they certainly remembered the rule change from last year, as they often coached from the down near the endline. Somebody was listening, and somebody remembered.

Somebody's got to tell them when the NFHS changes rules.

Like the big change a few years ago when we went from the hit to the release on free throws. Or the emphasis on freedom of movement against ball handlers, and post players.

They may be able to read about rule changes somewhere, but they may not understand many of the changes without someone in the "know" explaining the subtle intricacies, and permutations, to them.
That's should be the state's HS governing body's responsibility. Coaches should be mandated to attend an in-person or online rules clinic.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2018, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

VA used to require the in person coaches meeting/rules clinic. Instead of continuing to hold coaches accountable, they let them now do the click play walk away come back when the slide is done version.