The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 01, 2018, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I'd ask to see his jumping jack permit. If he doesn't have it with him, it's a T. Or...if I was the inbounder, I would throw it right into his face since we'd get the ball back because it hit him with he was OOB.
I know you were being facetious but wouldn't that be the same as throwing it off the back of the backboard while inbounding? Obviously at that point you have to take some step to rectify the situation but that would be harder to do after the fact than just addressing it immediately.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2018, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that a wise player would be the best avenue. He could pull his inner Paul Crewe and drill the dude Problem solved
Old Thu Mar 01, 2018, 03:27pm
Administrator

The old hands on the Forum will remember esteemed Member, Daryl H. Long, known as "The Preacher". Daryl had a debilitating stroke in August 2016 and is confined to a wheel chair. But the old hands will also remember that when I was the Rules Interpreter and Instructional Chairman of the Wood County Basketball Officials Association, Daryl was Secretary of the WCBUA. Daryl and I officiated many, many women's college, boys'/girl's H.S., Special Olympics, and AAU and YBOA Boys' and Girls' Nationals together.

The following actually happened to Daryl and I in a 14U elimination game in a YBOA Girls' National years and years ago and we had not one but two TFs.

The first TF occurred with less than 30 seconds left in the 4th QT and Team A was down by two points when Daryl administered a Throw-in to A1 and B-HC jumped in front of A1 to block her view down court. WHACK!! by Daryl. Team A made both FTs and we go to OT.

The second one happened in the OT period. Daryl is again administering a Throw-in to A1, but now Team A is leading by two points, and B-HC jumps up and actually blocks A1's pass with his body. WHACK!! B-HC is now gone (Daryl had all the fun in the game, LOL).

We damn near had a riot for doing our job. But we had a great Site Manager and we were able to finish the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu Mar 01, 2018 at 04:22pm. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old Thu Mar 01, 2018, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
inner Paul Crewe and drill the dude
Classic!
Old Thu Mar 01, 2018, 04:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Six Against Five Isn't Fair ...

In terms of coach/opponent player interactions, that's about the most unsporting act by a coach that I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot in thirty-seven years of officiating, and many more as a player, and a coach.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 01, 2018, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Or...if I was the inbounder, I would throw it right into his face since we'd get the ball back because it hit him with he was OOB.
I was hoping the player was going to at least throw it into his hands instead of over them. I would do that if only to make the officials deal with it.