The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 08:16pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Smile

Local girls' 7th grade tournament.

Both new coaches are behaving themselves and are really into coaching, encouraging and directing, but I noticed they were basically walkin' and talkin' from midcourt to the end of the bench area.

During a stoppage, I turned to one of the coaches and asked if she was comfortable with where the coaching box was located. She said "The what?" I pointed about 12' upcourt and she said, "That's it!!?".

So, now I was obliged at the next earliest convenience to ask the other coach if she thought the coaching box was too small. She said, "What coaching box!??" I pointed it out about 8' down court and she said, "No one has ever said anything about that to me. I didn't even know about it."

Knowing how Jr.High ball is run, I believed everything these coaches told me, and they believed me, too. I watched with some amusement as they would stray a little and then the light would come on and they'd start looking for where they were supposed to be.

At the end of the game, I explained to one of the coaches, "Now that you know there is a coaching box, what you may want to do is to see how far you can stretch it's use without aggravating anyone."

(During a dead ball near a bench, somewhere in the middle of notification of the boxes and the end of the game, a cute little ballplayer asked, "Mr Referee? Why does my coach have to stand in one place? Is that special for this tournament?" (I think the coaching box as in front of her chair )

mick



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 06:03am
oc oc is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 320
Cool

Doesn't surprise me, I coached for 2-3 years before I knew there was a box.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 07:17am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 2,220
Talking There's a box??

I thought that was only when they taped it on the floor in Ohio

[Edited by Hawks Coach on Oct 25th, 2003 at 07:21 AM]
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,612
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Local girls' 7th grade tournament.

Both new coaches are behaving themselves and are really into coaching, encouraging and directing, but I noticed they were basically walkin' and talkin' from midcourt to the end of the bench area.

During a stoppage, I turned to one of the coaches and asked if she was comfortable with where the coaching box was located. She said "The what?" I pointed about 12' upcourt and she said, "That's it!!?".

So, now I was obliged at the next earliest convenience to ask the other coach if she thought the coaching box was too small. She said, "What coaching box!??" I pointed it out about 8' down court and she said, "No one has ever said anything about that to me. I didn't even know about it."

Knowing how Jr.High ball is run, I believed everything these coaches told me, and they believed me, too. I watched with some amusement as they would stray a little and then the light would come on and they'd start looking for where they were supposed to be.

At the end of the game, I explained to one of the coaches, "Now that you know there is a coaching box, what you may want to do is to see how far you can stretch it's use without aggravating anyone."

(During a dead ball near a bench, somewhere in the middle of notification of the boxes and the end of the game, a cute little ballplayer asked, "Mr Referee? Why does my coach have to stand in one place? Is that special for this tournament?" (I think the coaching box as in front of her chair )

mick
Well done.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 02:53am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,226
a new method

I don't even bother with the coaching boxes anymore in my games. I simply start the game with simultaneous technical fouls on an assistant coach from each team, don't shoot any free throws, put one team foul up for each side, and then have a jump ball.
This keeps the head coaches in line just fine!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: a new method

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I don't even bother with the coaching boxes anymore in my games. I simply start the game with simultaneous technical fouls on an assistant coach from each team, don't shoot any free throws, put one team foul up for each side, and then have a jump ball.
This keeps the head coaches in line just fine!
Forget the Tower Philosophy. I'm going to memorize the Nevada Power Maneuver. It also gives you the "advantage" of being able to toss the assistant the first time he gets a little mouthy, since they already has one T. My only question is, what does your assignor think of this?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,802
Re: a new method

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I don't even bother with the coaching boxes anymore in my games. I simply start the game with simultaneous technical fouls on an assistant coach from each team, don't shoot any free throws, put one team foul up for each side, and then have a jump ball.
This keeps the head coaches in line just fine!
Note to self . . . . . .

__________________
"To win the game is great. To play the game is greater. But to love the game is the greatest of all."
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 08:24am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 755
Here (Wisconsin), the box is only for Varsity level. Anything below they are seatbelted.

Mregor
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 09:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 2,220
Why???

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
Here (Wisconsin), the box is only for Varsity level. Anything below they are seatbelted.

Mregor
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 09:45am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Re: Why???

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
Here (Wisconsin), the box is only for Varsity level. Anything below they are seatbelted.

Mregor
I think Wisconsin is relatively new to the coaching box.
They are probably easing that coaching tool into the basketball programs.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 10:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 275
On some games, I am just trying to keep them off the court

In sub jarsity games, the coaches seem to stretch that box a bit. Often to the half court line. I usually politely tell them to remain in place.

My favorite manuver is to buzz by them on a fast break. Kinda like a Sap manuver without the contact, but really close. They get the message.

I like the quick T at the begining of the game, but don't think I could pull it off. Good to think about though.
__________________
Damain
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 56
I remembered I was educated that the Scorers Table has to be as clear as possible, for the game clock operator, scorer & 24 sec operator to have the best view. Moreover, the refs and them will have the clear path for communication. Therefore, the set-up of the Coaches Box is mandatory
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 11:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Greater Indianapolis Area
Posts: 436
Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Re: a new method

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I don't even bother with the coaching boxes anymore in my games. I simply start the game with simultaneous technical fouls on an assistant coach from each team, don't shoot any free throws, put one team foul up for each side, and then have a jump ball.
This keeps the head coaches in line just fine!
Awesome thought!!...even if I think it's a little bush-league...and it wouldn't work at the varsity or higher level.

In Indiana, I tell them, "Coach, I don't care where you are as long as you are coaching. If you want to complain to me or yell at me, your feet better be in the box."
__________________
"Be 100% correct in your primary area!"
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 12:51pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Lightbulb Re: On some games, I am just trying to keep them off the court

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian

My favorite manuver is to buzz by them on a fast break. Kinda like a Sap manuver without the contact, but really close. They get the message.



Just ask/tell 'em. Be direct. Be professional. Take charge. Don't play little games.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 01:23pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Re: Re: a new method

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I don't even bother with the coaching boxes anymore in my games. I simply start the game with simultaneous technical fouls on an assistant coach from each team, don't shoot any free throws, put one team foul up for each side, and then have a jump ball.
This keeps the head coaches in line just fine!
Awesome thought!!...even if I think it's a little bush-league...and it wouldn't work at the varsity or higher level.

In Indiana, I tell them, "Coach, I don't care where you are as long as you are coaching. If you want to complain to me or yell at me, your feet better be in the box."

I think that maybe...just maybe...Nevada may have been a little "tongue-in-cheek" with his comment above.

Indy, I agree fully with you about telling the coach what you said above. Now, he knows exactly where he stands and what you expect of him. If he now goes too far,well hey,he's been warned.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1