The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Coaching box after a T

Coach from team A receives a direct T and informed he has lost the use of the coaching box. He moves his folding chair ahead of the other chairs so he is closer to the sideline. He insists there is no rule that prevents him from doing this. Thoughts?

Hardwood
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwood
Coach from team A receives a direct T and informed he has lost the use of the coaching box. He moves his folding chair ahead of the other chairs so he is closer to the sideline. He insists there is no rule that prevents him from doing this. Thoughts?
Ridiculous. He can't make his own bench area. That's designated pre-game by game management.Tell him to put it back or put it in the parking lot.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:45am
Official & Member

Don't believe there is a specific rule addressing that, but as an official you have the authority to determine if moving the chair creates a safety risk.

The way you're describing it, he moved his chair closer to the side line? If there's not a sufficient amount of space between his chair and the sideline to safely inbound or move down the court in transition, I'd tell him to move the chair for that reason. If he won't, whack him again, then his chair becomes empty and move it back.

If there's enough room on the side, let it go. It just singles him out as the biggest A$$ on that bench.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Don't believe there is a specific rule addressing that, but as an official you have the authority to determine if moving the chair creates a safety risk.
Rule 1-13-1.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 08:50am
Official & Member

Art. 1... The location of each team's bench shall be designated by game management. It is recommended that the benches for team members and coaches of both teams be placed along that side of the court on which the scorer's and timer's table is located...

I meant there wasn't a specific rule about chair/bench placement with regards to court proximity. As far as I can tell in the rule cited above, nothing prohibits the coach in the OP from scooting his chair forward a few feet unless it's a hazard.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Wed Feb 14, 2007 at 09:14am.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I meant there wasn't a specific rule about chair/bench placement with regards to court proximity. Help me out here...I'm goofing off at work and don't have my books with me...what's the essence of rule 1-13-1?
Goofing off at work?

I'm telling...... mainly because I'm up to my azz in snow and you're not.

Rule 1-13-1 says that the location of each team's bench is determined by game management. Rule 10-5-1 says that "the head coach may be off the bench in front of his/her seat within the confines of the coaching box". If you let that goober move his chair all over the place, you now literally have two benches and the coach is determining his own, personal bench. Somehow, I don't think that's the intent of the rule.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:23am
Official & Member

OK...you've convinced me that it could be construed as creating a second bench. Now I guess I'm wondering if it's worth fighting that battle if his "new second bench" location isn't interfering with the game. Clearly, the coach is trying to suck the official in by moving the seat. If it wasn't a safety hazard, I think I'd let it go and just wait for this knucklehead to pop up out of his seat to whine about another call and whack him then.

p.s high temp is expected to be 77 here today I'm thinking maybe a quick 9 holes after lunch.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Wed Feb 14, 2007 at 09:30am.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
OK...you've convinced me that it could be construed as creating a second bench. Now I guess I'm wondering if it's worth fighting that battle if his "new second bench" location isn't interfering with the game. Clearly, the coach is trying to suck the official in by moving the seat. If it wasn't a safety hazard, I think I'd let it go and just wait for this knucklehead to pop up out of his seat to whine about another call and whack him then.

p.s high temp is expected to be 77 here today I'm thinking maybe a quick 9 holes after lunch.
Sucking you into what? "Coach, yes there is a rule against it. No, you're not going to do it. Move the chair back to its designated position." Discussion is over and any further argument makes this chair an ejection seat.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
1) Now I guess I'm wondering if it's worth fighting that battle if his "new second bench" location isn't interfering with the game. Clearly, the coach is trying to suck the official in by moving the seat.

2) p.s high temp is expected to be 77 here today I'm thinking maybe a quick 9 holes after lunch.
1) There's no doubt that the coach is just trying to bait the official for nailing him with a "T". Having a hard head, I'd take the bait. I'd just tell him that his chair is part of the bench and he isn't moving it to make his own bench. He puts it back or he goes imo. I can't see letting him do something like call subs to his chair for instructions before they go in, and we've then got people all over the place.

2) Edited to remove multiple profanities....
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Goofing off at work?
I wish. I am goofing off FROM work. 13" of snow at least with more to come. Both my Tuesday and Wednesday games have been cancelled.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:56am
Official & Member

I guess I feel like he'd be getting what he wants by getting into it with him right then. I don't see a lot of downside to letting it go and picking a different spot to whack him (as long as the chair isn't on top of the sideline)...cause you KNOW he's gonna shoot himself in the foot again soon.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Chair is part of ONE bench not two. "Coach, either that chair is put back or you can carry it with you out of the gym."
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I would think in terms of a "bench" not "chairs" If he wants his own personal bench he can take the chair out with him when he goes because he would definately be going if he didn't "get in line" :-)
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Call game management over and with the coach sitting/standing there, ask management, "Sir/Ma'am, is this the spot where you placed this team's ejection chair during pre-game?"

Ejection seat...that's a good one, Snaqwells! I like!
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Ejection Seat!!!!!!!

Great one. I guess that moves the assistant coach up to co-pilot status.

Last edited by Time2Ref; Wed Feb 14, 2007 at 12:30pm.