The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't think that conclusion follows. If an offensive player is in the lane, a defensive player is nearby (or, if not, a basket will follow within the 3-second timeframe). If you are watching the defense, you will see the offensive player and can count.
And isn't that really when the three second count really matters? When an offensive player is posting up and the defender has to play hard defense--not fair to have to do that for more than three seconds in the key. (Though it seems some lower level refs are much more interested in calling the toe on the line by the un-involved player than the stud posting up hard for five seconds in the key.)
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
And isn't that really when the three second count really matters? When an offensive player is posting up and the defender has to play hard defense--not fair to have to do that for more than three seconds in the key. (Though it seems some lower level refs are much more interested in calling the toe on the line by the un-involved player than the stud posting up hard for five seconds in the key.)
Yes, that's when it matters. It's also when it's easy to get -- so your statement "one other thing to watch" (paraphrased) does not make sense to me
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, that's when it matters. It's also when it's easy to get -- so your statement "one other thing to watch" (paraphrased) does not make sense to me
T'wasn't my statement. I was agreeing with you.

(It's the refs who are focused on inconsequential three seconds rather than watching the things that matter who drive me nuts.)
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The key used to look like a key:

My mind was blown, sir.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The key used to look like a key:

And then along came Leroy Edwards, George Mikan, Bob Kurland, Bill Russell, and Wilt Chamberlain. As these imposing centers dominated the paint, scoring at will, the key was widened, and widened again. As big men continue to get taller, stronger, and faster, the rules continue to evolve.
And it then stopped looking like a key but the name persists. It looks more like a tombstone now.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And it then stopped looking like a key but the name persists. It looks more like a tombstone now.
Appropriately -- the way kids are shooting FTs these days, it's where games go to die.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I work a youth league every year and the new officials that come on do this and it drives me nuts...ball is being worked around the perimeter and we get a whistle for 3 seconds. Exercise a little patience and see if a jumpshot or dribble drive might create a weak side rebound or an entry pass comes in there that might result in a real advantage being gained. Truthfully, if I call 3 seconds, I've talked to them at least once (Get outta the lane white)...and they've been in there more than 3 or 4 seconds and the above scenario is going on. Simply standing in there or a toe on the lane line is not really gaining an advantage without something else happening.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Appropriately -- the way kids are shooting FTs these days, it's where games go to die.
Niiice! LOL!