The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Only in Today's World

Worked an AAU tourney this weekend ( 15 U ), competition was pretty good as we had a few EYBL teams. During one of the games, a kid blocked a shot and said, "get that effin sh%t out of here"! Whack....thought it was pretty easy. In my world the F bomb is automatic. His coach asked me why I didn't give a warning being this was AAU. The coach was very polite and I told him that the F word was automatic for me. After a time out later in the game, he said, "Ref, if you don't give warnings for language, you must be a Trump supporter. I laughed, said yes and then asked him
if he was a liberal who always wanted a second chance.
He said of course, we slapped hands and had a great game !!!!!

While it made my day, it is a sad commentary if this is how we judge each other....
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Worked an AAU tourney this weekend ( 15 U ), competition was pretty good as we had a few EYBL teams. During one of the games, a kid blocked a shot and said, "get that effin sh%t out of here"! Whack....thought it was pretty easy. In my world the F bomb is automatic. His coach asked me why I didn't give a warning being this was AAU. The coach was very polite and I told him that the F word was automatic for me. After a time out later in the game, he said, "Ref, if you don't give warnings for language, you must be a Trump supporter. I laughed, said yes and then asked him
if he was a liberal who always wanted a second chance.
He said of course, we slapped hands and had a great game !!!!!

While it made my day, it is a sad commentary if this is how we judge each other....
Whack. That's worse than the F word.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Even if they don't use the F word, after a block saying "get that out of here" is an auto T for taunting in my book. It's way quicker than saying "knock it off" and it won't escalate at all.

Not to get political but I would be sad if I was accused of supporting that dude.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Even if they don't use the F word, after a block saying "get that out of here" is an auto T for taunting in my book. It's way quicker than saying "knock it off" and it won't escalate at all.

Not to get political but I would be sad if I was accused of supporting that dude.
That is right on the boarder for me and would depend on the volume. The SH word would have put it over the top for me as curse words directed toward an opponent is a no no for me.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

To your first point - Please don't have that philosophy in a Division I game.

To your second point - Agreed .
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Deecee,

If I remember correctly you have stated in the past you had some desire to move up, if so you will have to change your thought process on the above being a T. I've had 6'8" guys in D1 and D2 games block shots from guys that are 5'10" and say the above phrase. I told that big fella, "Damn the dude is 5' 10", its not like you blocked Draymond Green" and smiled. Most guys get it laugh and say my bad. Humor goes a long way with things like that. And trust me supervisors can tell that you can diffuse situations.

But to flat out give a technical foul for that....that may be a tough sell to the coach / supervisor.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
you must be a Trump supporter.
I did not know that Trump played baseball.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Deecee,

If I remember correctly you have stated in the past you had some desire to move up, if so you will have to change your thought process on the above being a T. I've had 6'8" guys in D1 and D2 games block shots from guys that are 5'10" and say the above phrase. I told that big fella, "Damn the dude is 5' 10", its not like you blocked Draymond Green" and smiled. Most guys get it laugh and say my bad. Humor goes a long way with things like that. And trust me supervisors can tell that you can diffuse situations.

But to flat out give a technical foul for that....that may be a tough sell to the coach / supervisor.
After a couple years doing NCAA I called it quits, HS too. Just don't have the time or energy. Our assignor has a 0 tolerance for taunting behavior and after seeing a couple veteran D1 guys make similar calls I adopted the philosophy. It actually made games easier to work. Coaches would never argue a T for a taunt after a block. Especially in most cases the players aren't exactly quiet about it.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After a couple years doing NCAA I called it quits, HS too. Just don't have the time or energy. Our assignor has a 0 tolerance for taunting behavior and after seeing a couple veteran D1 guys make similar calls I adopted the philosophy. It actually made games easier to work. Coaches would never argue a T for a taunt after a block. Especially in most cases the players aren't exactly quiet about it.
I'm with you. Taunting is automatic for me. You let this action go and the other team does it, now you have to let that go, too. Now you've let two taunting actions go unpenalized, and that's supposed to be good for the game?

I don't understand why people act like college officials are universally expected to have a longer rope for unsporting behavior. Sure, that might be the case sometimes. But in my opinion college officials are FAR more willing to penalize poor sportsmanship than high school officials as a whole.

High school players and coaches get away with way more crap than their college counterparts for a multitude of reasons, one of those being that high school officials and assigners are too scared to crack down on it and some make every excuse in the book for not calling Ts. And yes, college officials and assigners can be guilty of that, too, but to a much lesser extent from what I know.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

I also found the best behaved coaches were at D2 then D3 and then JC in that order. They also held their players to higher standards and they also were much better at accepting a 'mea culpa' when I messed up.

Some would just be hot-heads, and I've only tossed one coach out EVER, and that was at the D2 level. But he earned it with his behavior and tantrums and how he talked to us as a crew. A guy I worked with in my next game said he never had a problem with the guy and thought his behavior was just "overly" emotional and not a big deal to him. But as a whole college coaches will talk to officials a lot more and we talk back. But it's rare that they cross the line, and when they do they are dealt with and they know it.

At the D1 level it's mostly egos and the good coaches know when they earned a T. They may not like it but they know why they got it. They will still try and justify it. At the HS level, good luck with that.