The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Backpedaling looks absolutely horrible. What purpose does backpeddling serve? When you're back peddling you're moving away from what you're looking at. And when you're back peddling you're not looking at your primary, you're looking back at the ball. Backpedaling is a ball watcher's technique.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I guess this is an absolute in a few minds, which I find ridiculous. Maybe for the "veterans" that I've seen 100 lbs overweight wearing their belts, it looks horrible. What I think looks horrible is the 70 year old geriatrics working high intensity Varsity games and they can't run half the length of the floor twice without being gassed, but hey they don't backpedal!

So what do you do, as the new lead, when you have a fast break with the ball handler out in front dribbling up the sideline? From there, the rest of the players in the game are chasing/following and are effectively straight-lining the trail in this situation. Looking over your shoulder blocks some of your view. Squaring up a little bit gives you full vision of the ball handlers position, sideline to nearest defender, which provides the best possible angle until partner can recover their field of view.

Those lines they have on the court usually are good indicators of your position on the floor.
Better watch out for pot holes though...
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 02:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmay20 View Post
I guess this is an absolute in a few minds, which I find ridiculous. Maybe for the "veterans" that I've seen 100 lbs overweight wearing their belts, it looks horrible. What I think looks horrible is the 70 year old geriatrics working high intensity Varsity games and they can't run half the length of the floor twice without being gassed, but hey they don't backpedal!

So what do you do, as the new lead, when you have a fast break with the ball handler out in front dribbling up the sideline? From there, the rest of the players in the game are chasing/following and are effectively straight-lining the trail in this situation. Looking over your shoulder blocks some of your view. Squaring up a little bit gives you full vision of the ball handlers position, sideline to nearest defender, which provides the best possible angle until partner can recover their field of view.

Those lines they have on the court usually are good indicators of your position on the floor.
Either get to the end line and ref the play, or square up to the sideline and ref the play while adjusting your position to see what you need to see. Backpedaling does not improve your vision on any play and eliminates the ability to position adjust to see in between defender and ball handler.

If the Trail is being straight-lined (which means they are not moving and/or hustling to get a better position), then stay and ref the play until they can get to where they need to be. Then bust your ass down the rest of the court to get where you are supposed to be.

And unless you are Frankenstein or wearing shoulder pads, how are your shoulders obstructing your view?
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 03:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I watch a ton of basketball. I watch it on TV, I watch in a gym. I watch it on video. I never see an experienced official at any level back peddle to get into position. It is even rare to see a lower level official do this. The last time I saw an official do this, he was not very athletic anyway and he was not getting into position better by backpedaling in the first place. Just like you do not see officials wear white shoes when they referee. Kind of stands out when you do.

Quote:
Simple, you turn and run like an athlete would and look over your shoulder. Kind of how most athletes do. Even as a football official that backpedals, there is a point you turn and run full speed. You only backpedal as a back judge or deep wing for a moment, but at some point, you have to turn your hips and run. You are running a lot faster in most cases on a football field than you are on a basketball court. You might only have to run hard for 50 or so feet anyway (even in 2 person). Also, you are running near or on the sideline. What view is blocked? You are not running up the middle of the court for God's sake.

Quote:
I Those lines they have on the court usually are good indicators of your position on the floor.
But you have to watch out for players that could be behind you. A coach that might be just slightly out of the box. A cheerleader that is not exactly in the right position. A person on the first row that had their feet on the actual court. A lot of things that can happen when running and you have no balance to catch yourself if you trip.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Go to any camp (high school, college, etc.) and backpedal and report back to us what your clinician says.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 10:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Go to any camp (high school, college, etc.) and backpedal and report back to us what your clinician says.
Exactly. Basketball is not soccer or football. We have different mechanics, different positioning, different coverage, different matchups, and different player/ball movement.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Feb 22, 2018, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You asked a question, got lots of answers all saying the same thing that you don't like, now you try to justify it using insults.

As a wise man once said, "Lah me."
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So what do you do, as the new lead, when you have a fast break with the ball handler out in front dribbling up the sideline? ...
I referee the defense. I know where the the player and ball are heading.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What I think looks horrible is the 70 year old geriatrics working high intensity Varsity games and they can't run half the length of the floor twice without being gassed, ..
I think it is interesting that you talk about 70 year old officials...

Have you looked at the demographics of officials?

See https://www.naso.org/survey/portfolio/demographics/ and realize it’s the old guys that continue to officiate. And they may not be able to run but based on my experience, they can work with coaches, have great judgment, and can still officiate no matter the insults here
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 09:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

That's all well and good till you have a coach a step onto the floor who you back into.

If I see an official I like otherwise backpedaling, I would be kind enough to tell that official that it's not done that way.

If I am blown off, then I know I never have to hire that person to work games I control.

Officiating Basketball 101 -- don't backpedal.

It's not in the job description to be able to run like a deer. I'd rather take the geriatric or overweight official who knows how to play call, talk with coaches, and manage a game....ANY DAY.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 09:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
I think it is interesting that you talk about 70 year old officials...

Have you looked at the demographics of officials?

See https://www.naso.org/survey/portfolio/demographics/ and realize it’s the old guys that continue to officiate. And they may not be able to run but based on my experience, they can work with coaches, have great judgment, and can still officiate no matter the insults here
Yup. And some of us are starting to resemble that remark. Well, at least I feel like I'm 70 sometimes.