The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
NCAA-W doesn't start bonus on the sixth foul.
Correct, I just meant the concept of double bonus after so many fouls, and resetting them at quarter.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefRich View Post
I agree with the technical but eliminate the "wearing uniform incorrectly." This would help to eliminate inconsistencies in application and also put the onus directly on the shoulders of where it belongs, the coaches.

In PA, the PIAA requires us to ask coaches if their teams are equiped properly according to the NFHS. If they answer yes and they aren't, they should get penalized.
Fair enough, and I agree, we'd all stop having to deal with uniform issues in a hurry!
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 08:26pm
Stubborn Member

I've started the survey and find that I don't care about most of the changes made for last season. Rule changes such as the coaches box being extended and uniform name restrictions were never an issue in the first place (at least around here in central Ohio).

As for proposed rule changes, for the most part they seem unnecessary (the one about changing away teams to white and home teams to a dark color made me say "what" out loud). However, some are ok...

I voted for removing color restrictions on sleeves and such, as I'd love not to be part of the fashion police. Although I did voted "no" on the knotted headbands, as I feel that would introduce follow-up rules about the length of the tied ends and size of the knots.

The one about coaches being able to shorten time outs to 30 seconds was intriguing, but in the end it seems unnecessary.

I do like clarifying that a screen must be in bounds for the screen to be legal.

I also like team members needing to remove warm-up clothing three minutes before game time so we can make sure they're uniform is legal.. Not that I've had this issue, but it would avoid a possible argument with a coach about a starter needing to be replaced so they can change their undershirt or something.

And if overtime is an extension of the 4th quarter, why not use the AP arrow instead of having another jump ball?

It seems that most of these rules changes are introduced just to give somebody at the Fed something to do. You know... to justify them having a job.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 11:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Less Irritant ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I've started the survey and find that I don't care about most of the changes made for last season. Rule changes such as the coaches box being extended ...
I love the extended coaching box. If coaches aren't standing in front of the table blocking the view of the scorekeeper as I report fouls, I can just ignore where they're standing. I've gone all season without ever saying, "Hey coach, can you please stay in the box". Not even once. One less irritant between me and the coaches.

I haven't used the written unsporting warning (I've gone directly to a technical foul) but it's a nice tool to have in my referee tool belt in case I need it, and I know that others in my little corner of Connecticut have used the written warning successfully.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 11, 2018 at 11:33pm.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2018, 11:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
21. Eliminating the jump ball at the beginning of the game. The visiting team would get first possession and the arrow would be set after legal inbounds.
30. Starting overtime by using the alternating-possession arrow and eliminating the jump ball. Overtime is an “extension of the fourth quarter” in all areas, e.g., direction of play, fouls on each player.

Wait until Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. wakes up from his early afternoon nap and reads this. He's (in the vernacular of the 1960's) "gonna have a cow".

He may get so agitated that he won't be able to get any sleep when he tries to take his late afternoon nap.

You young whippersnappers have no respect for the "Ancient Days" when we used real Peach Baskets and the Court was enclosed by chicken wire fencing to keep the Ball in Play and to protect the Players and Officials from the fans. Ah, those were the good old days!

Now let me go back to my nap!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 12:21am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
I love the extended coaching box. If coaches aren't standing in front of the table blocking the view of the scorekeeper as I report fouls, I can just ignore where they're standing. I've gone all season without ever saying, "Hey coach, can you please stay in the box". Not even once. One less irritant between me and the coaches.

I haven't used the written unsporting warning (I've gone directly to a technical foul) but it's a nice tool to have in my referee tool belt in case I need it, and I know that others in my little corner of Connecticut have used the written warning successfully.
The coach's box has never been a problem for me. So the size of it has not made any difference.

And I've gone straight to a tech a couple of times, and both times I don't recall a time during the game where a warning was applicable. The coaches in both instances went from 0-60. However, I admit that the warning can be helpful and hopefully I take advantage of that tool.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Help me understand #19

When I read this #19 seemed to be about only allowing timeout to be called from the bench/head coach during a dead ball. However another user posted a reponse that made it seem like it was about WHO calls the TO, not when?

19. Permitting coaches to only call a time-out during a dead ball, including after a made basket.
ABSOLUTELY NOT. This is already the worst rule in NCAA Men's, no need to expand it to HS (and younger). Why add a middle man? Other than a trap in a corner and similar situations, virtually all timeouts are strategic and wanted by the HC. Not like you have captains saying, "Hmm... I think we need a break here..."

FWIW I would love the rule to change to only allow timeouts to be called at a dead ball. I dont think it should be available as a tactic to bail out an offensive player who is trapped. Let them work their way out of it, or turn it over. Letting the coach jump in and save them with (what I consider is) an admistrative move is stupid. Let the players sort it out on the court.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To me, this seems to imply that you have coaches coming out of the box past the 28 foot line, which is not the direction the box was extended? If I'm reading that right, then you are still having the same issue as before. I have no issue with the extension of the coaches box, but if coaches were out of their box in the past, it was almost always on the half-court side, not the baseline side, so that rule change didn't make a big difference in games that I saw.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotationslim View Post
When I read this #19 seemed to be about only allowing timeout to be called from the bench/head coach during a dead ball. However another user posted a reponse that made it seem like it was about WHO calls the TO, not when?
The proposed rule change would only allow a head coach to call a timeout during a dead ball, and would require a player on the court to request the timeout if the ball is live. I just think that it adds a middle man where it isn't necessary. If you're standing right in front of the HC, and they ask you for a timeout, if this rule is changed, you can't do it, instead he has to call out to a player who has to make the same request to you. Just isn't worth it, especially the lower the level.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotationslim View Post

19. Permitting coaches to only call a time-out during a dead ball, including after a made basket.
ABSOLUTELY NOT. This is already the worst rule in NCAA Men's, no need to expand it to HS (and younger). Why add a middle man? Other than a trap in a corner and similar situations, virtually all timeouts are strategic and wanted by the HC. Not like you have captains saying, "Hmm... I think we need a break here..."

FWIW I would love the rule to change to only allow timeouts to be called at a dead ball. I dont think it should be available as a tactic to bail out an offensive player who is trapped. Let them work their way out of it, or turn it over. Letting the coach jump in and save them with (what I consider is) an admistrative move is stupid. Let the players sort it out on the court.
Agreed. Lol- It also would do away with the occasional time out given when a coach calls "five out."
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 04:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Walk Them Back ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
... but if coaches were out of their box in the past, it was almost always on the half-court side, not the baseline side, so that rule change didn't make a big difference in games that I saw.
Our inconsistencies have always been with coaches down on the endline. Some of our officials tolerated it, others didn't. All of us here in my little corner of Connecticut were always on the same page regarding the other direction, if they're near the table, walk them back.

With the new rule, we've cut our problems in half.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

PA just got access to the survey. Too binary, "yes" or "no." Needs a third option, "who cares?"
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
PA just got access to the survey. Too binary, "yes" or "no." Needs a third option, "who cares?"
Can't you just skip the question?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Can't you just skip the question?
I did--repeatedly.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 10:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Based on the results of the football survey, I am just not bothering to complete these from now on. The rules committee just does what it wants anyway.