The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 02:19pm
Lighten up, Francis.

NFHS End-of-Period mechanic

Does the FED specify whether the whistle should or should not be blown to signal the end of a period? I was originally taught not to blow the whistle, but the IAABO Officials' Manual doesn't say anything about it either way. So I'm wondering if the NFHS manual states a specific mechanic. Thanks.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 02:25pm
Archaic Power Monger

I can't find anything, even in last second shot responsibilities.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Does the FED specify whether the whistle should or should not be blown to signal the end of a period? I was originally taught not to blow the whistle, but the IAABO Officials' Manual doesn't say anything about it either way. So I'm wondering if the NFHS manual states a specific mechanic. Thanks.
If I recall correctly, yes, it does...kinda. (keep in mind that I can not recall where) If there is a shot, yes, blow whistle when shot is done. In that case, horn does not end the period. If there is no shot, then do not blow whistle. In that case, horn does end the period.

Shot, horn, end of shot = blow whistle (whistle ends period)
No shot, horn = no whistle (horn ends period)

If I am wrong, someone please quickly correct me.

Update: Check rule 6-7 article 5 exceptions A and B. Also, see https://forum.officiating.com/basket...d-quarter.html

Last edited by bucky; Fri Feb 09, 2018 at 03:12pm.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

I always think to myself, thats why we have a horn. But I don't care if partners blow. Depending on the situation, I might also get one.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

In my area, we're taught that the official responsible should blow the whistle at the end of the quarter, regardless of what's happening. If there's no shot right at the buzzer to wave off, I wait until the horn stops, and give a short tweet.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Clock 0:00.0 Horn - Tweet

We're told at various camps that you need a whistle at the end of the period, always. I usually wait until the horn stops to tweet, my rationale is the whistle probably can't be heard over the noise of the horn anyway, so let horn stop, then tweet. This may or not be "correct" by the book(s) but it makes sense to me.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

around here, we are told the exact opposite - do NOT whistle at the end of a period. That's why there's a horn. No need for it. Also, don't whistle after subs come in or usual delays, unless you absolutely have to get a partner's attention or something unusual happens.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

We are taught we need a whistle and it's the trail's responsibility.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
around here, we are told the exact opposite - do NOT whistle at the end of a period. That's why there's a horn. No need for it. Also, don't whistle after subs come in or usual delays, unless you absolutely have to get a partner's attention or something unusual happens.
You're also in Ohio, where the football officials are required to take their books to the field.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 03:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
In my area, we're taught that the official responsible should blow the whistle at the end of the quarter, regardless of what's happening. If there's no shot right at the buzzer to wave off, I wait until the horn stops, and give a short tweet.
This is what we do, as well.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2019, 02:15am
AremRed

I had a partner with an interesting mechanic I had never seen before a couple months ago. Last second shot of the 3Q, player is coming in transition, pulls up for a 3, releases the ball with about .3 remaining on the clock. Clearly got the shot off in time yet when the ball is in flight and the horn sounds I hear a steady, long, whistle. Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Shot misses and the carom comes to me. I grab the ball and go over to my partners who are huddling. I ask if someone blew the whistle and the Trail who had been responsible for the clock said he had blown the whistle. I asked if he was going to wave off the shot and he said no, the player did release it in time. I then asked why the heck he sounded the whistle while the ball was still in flight?? and he said "the mechanics book says to hit the whistle when the horn sounds to end the quarter". One of the dumbest and least practical things I've ever heard.

I can't even find what he's talking about in either the rule or mechanics book, does anyone know what he was reading/smoking?
Old Tue Feb 19, 2019, 08:40am
Courageous When Prudent

I hit my whistle every time when it is my responsibility. We tell the players to play to the whistle, not to the horn.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2019, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I had a partner with an interesting mechanic I had never seen before a couple months ago. Last second shot of the 3Q, player is coming in transition, pulls up for a 3, releases the ball with about .3 remaining on the clock. Clearly got the shot off in time yet when the ball is in flight and the horn sounds I hear a steady, long, whistle. Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Shot misses and the carom comes to me. I grab the ball and go over to my partners who are huddling. I ask if someone blew the whistle and the Trail who had been responsible for the clock said he had blown the whistle. I asked if he was going to wave off the shot and he said no, the player did release it in time. I then asked why the heck he sounded the whistle while the ball was still in flight?? and he said "the mechanics book says to hit the whistle when the horn sounds to end the quarter". One of the dumbest and least practical things I've ever heard.

I can't even find what he's talking about in either the rule or mechanics book, does anyone know what he was reading/smoking?
Is your point that he shouldn't have had a whistle? I disagree.

Is your point that he should have waited until the try was over (made or missed)? I agree.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2019, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

If I'm T or C opposite table, I'm hitting the whistle.

Also, if they're just dribbling the clock out and there's no shot to wave off, please don't do the "no shot" mechanic. An open palm in the air will do.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2019, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
If I'm T or C opposite table, I'm hitting the whistle.

Also, if they're just dribbling the clock out and there's no shot to wave off, please don't do the "no shot" mechanic. An open palm in the air will do.
Some places / rules sets require an "end of period" mechanic that *can* look very similar to waving off the shot, or like a double foul, or like a full (sic) time out, or like a not-closely-guarded signal.