The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 19, 2019, 09:25am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Is your point that he shouldn't have had a whistle? I disagree.

Is your point that he should have waited until the try was over (made or missed)? I agree.
Exactly this. I told him to wait until the try was missed and he said “that’s not the what it says in the book”.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2019, 10:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Guardians Of The IAABO Galaxy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
... the IAABO Officials' Manual doesn't say anything about it either way.
Now it does:

2018-2019 IAABO Significant Manual Revisions

End of Quarter/Period Procedures. By rule, the game clock horn signals the end of the quarter/period unless there is a ball in flight on a try for goal. Officials should not sound the whistle to signify the end of the quarter/period unless they are ruling that the try was not released prior to the sounding of the horn.

As usual, when in Rome ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 19, 2019, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO Significant Manual Revisions

… Officials should not sound the whistle to signify the end of the quarter/period unless they are ruling that the try was not released prior to the sounding of the horn.
This.

Definitely a when in Rome thing, obviously. Where I work, a whistle to end the period is a dead giveaway of a hack official … whereas it's clearly the exact opposite in other parts of the country.

Do as you were taught, I guess … as long as you were taught by someone good!
Old Wed Feb 20, 2019, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now it does:

End of Quarter/Period Procedures. By rule, the game clock horn signals the end of the quarter/period unless there is a ball in flight on a try for goal. Officials should not sound the whistle to signify the end of the quarter/period unless they are ruling that the try was not released prior to the sounding of the horn.

As usual, when in Rome ...
This mechanic is what I was taught twenty years ago and it makes sense.
The rules state that the horn ends the period, unless a try is in flight. So when there is no try to handle, what would a whistle after the horn signify? Consult your Shakespeare here.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2019, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

It makes sense. I don't get why I am expected to blow the whistle at the end of the period with no try when I am working non-IAABO games. Is that because the whisthe is required at the end of the period in the NFHS manual, or is it just cultural expectations? I don't blow the whistle if there is no try, unless the gym I am in has no horn (usually the case for rec games). I only blow the whistle at the end of timeouts, to begin periods, or if the throw-in comes after an extended delay.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2019, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This mechanic is what I was taught twenty years ago and it makes sense.
The rules state that the horn ends the period, unless a try is in flight. So when there is no try to handle, what would a whistle after the horn signify? Consult your Shakespeare here.
It might signify that the horn was valid because at any other time when the ball sounds during play, we tell the players to ignore it and play on.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2019, 02:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Free Throw Whistle ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I only blow the whistle at the end of timeouts, to begin periods, or if the throw-in comes after an extended delay.
Here in my little corner of 100% IAABO Connecticut, we've recently been encouraged to sound our whistle before a free throw after a timeout. I know that it's "by the book", but not many of us do it, not now, and not over the past four decades.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 20, 2019 at 02:11pm.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2019, 02:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

End Of Period Whistle ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It might signify that the horn was valid because at any other time when the ball sounds during play, we tell the players to ignore it and play on.
Good point. We've heard from IAABO, what does the NFHS say?

And again, when in Rome ...

Old Wed Feb 20, 2019, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here in my little corner of 100% IAABO Connecticut, we've recently been encouraged to sound our whistle before a free throw after a timeout. I know that it's "by the book", but not many of us do it, not now, and not over the past four decades.
I've thought about that, but it just seems so awkward and unnecessary.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2019, 05:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I've thought about that, but it just seems so awkward and unnecessary.
I do it. Especially helps when you are in venues that have DJ's or bands playing music during time-outs.
Old Mon Aug 26, 2019, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Isn't that just a special case of "after a timeout"? If they are just dribbling out the clock, I don't do anything, just let the horn sound. If there is anything that looks like a shot attempt, I blow the whistle and either score the goal, blow the whistle and wave it off if it is late, or do nothing.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2019, 09:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Bands, Music ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I do it. Especially helps when you are in venues that have DJ's or bands playing music during time-outs.
Good point.

Old Tue Aug 27, 2019, 09:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Very Clear ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Isn't that just a special case of "after a timeout"? If they are just dribbling out the clock, I don't do anything, just let the horn sound. If there is anything that looks like a shot attempt, I blow the whistle and either score the goal, blow the whistle and wave it off if it is late, or do nothing.
IAABO is very clear regarding whistles at the end of a period, and before a free throw after a timeout.

Whether we do it or not is another story for another time in another place.

Time Out Procedures: When a timeout is followed by a free throw, sound the whistle prior to administering the free throw.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 27, 2019 at 03:50pm.
Old Tue Aug 27, 2019, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

ZOMBIE Thread Alert
Old Tue Aug 27, 2019, 10:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
ZOMBIE Thread Alert

No kidding.

And nothing changes. I'll continue to blow my whistle at the end of a quarter cause it's what we do here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro