The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 29, 2019, 03:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I'm surprised you didn't lock it since it was resurrected after 6 months dormancy.
I am wondering why does anyone really care how old a topic is, if we are discussing a current situation? Having been on other forums similar to this one, people bring up several-year-old topics often. After all, what was said before does kind of apply to today on some level, doesn't it? Why does it matter at all if someone comments, unless they are being totally disrespectful or doing something unprofessional? Did the ideas of this topic change in 6 months?

Peace
Old Thu Aug 29, 2019, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am wondering why does anyone really care how old a topic is, if we are discussing a current situation? Having been on other forums similar to this one, people bring up several-year-old topics often. After all, what was said before does kind of apply to today on some level, doesn't it? Why does it matter at all if someone comments, unless they are being totally disrespectful or doing something unprofessional? Did the ideas of this topic change in 6 months?

Peace
I don't necessarily disagree with you. My point was that the mods generally lock a thread that's revived after being idle for awhile.
Old Thu Aug 29, 2019, 03:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with you. My point was that the mods generally lock a thread that's revived after being idle for awhile.
I was not really asking just you, but those that would know. Bob was once a moderator. What is the big deal about a 6-month-old thread?

Peace
Old Thu Aug 29, 2019, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was not really asking just you, but those that would know. Bob was once a moderator. What is the big deal about a 6-month-old thread?

Peace
Agree.

In fact, continuing in an old thread of the correct topic probably makes things easier for people to follow rather than having 10 different threads about the same thing with the same questions/issues being discussed again and again.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2019, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Agree.

In fact, continuing in an old thread of the correct topic probably makes things easier for people to follow rather than having 10 different threads about the same thing with the same questions/issues being discussed again and again.
Except that 99% of the time, a thread is resurrected by someone (usually a "newer" member who just adds essentially a "me too" comment).

If there was new / changed information, then that might be useful -- but it rarely happens.

I first posted something like this back on the McGriff's board (I think), but threads should be locked after x days of no activity, or after x posts (either we have a consensus by then, or there's none to be reached and the thread just degenerates into a re-hash of the various opinions). And, no pictures (they rarely add anything), and an individual should only be able to post once per thread per period of time.
Old Sat Aug 31, 2019, 03:21pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I first posted something like this back on the McGriff's board (I think), but threads should be locked after x days of no activity, or after x posts (either we have a consensus by then, or there's none to be reached and the thread just degenerates into a re-hash of the various opinions). And, no pictures (they rarely add anything), and an individual should only be able to post once per thread per period of time.
That makes too much sense bob.
Old Mon Sep 02, 2019, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Pick a corner, any corner.

We call the northeast corner the "Quiet Corner" although the northwest corner is pretty quiet as well, except when the bears are growling, the fisher cats are screaming, and the coyotes are howling.

This map must look foreign to those of you who live in a state with dozens and dozens of counties.
Reminds me of the classic Van Halen concert in New Haven. (This thread just became 96% irrelevant.)
Old Fri Sep 06, 2019, 03:42pm
Official & Member

I always found it odd that the Fed would allow such a critical process/procedure left up to individuals/states/associations.

Whenever I hear any official describing what the "correct" procedure is with regards to last second shots/end of period, they're always seem so emphatic that their way is the correct way...I like to ask them to show me exactly where they read it. Always **crickets**.
Old Fri Sep 06, 2019, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe their way is the correct way for their area or state association. The IAABO book tells officials not to blow the whistle unless ruling a shot was not released in time, so officials in IAABO boards follow that procedure. Officials officiating for non-IAABO associations do things the NFHS way, including blowing the whistle at the end of the period no matter what.
Old Sat Sep 07, 2019, 10:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Or officials do what they are taught to do and it is is not in any book. There are so many things we do that are not written down in a book.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 07, 2019, 11:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

Published ???

Quote:
Or officials do what they are taught to do and it is is not in any book. There are so many things we do that are not written down in a book.
Point to floor for two point field goal try when shooter has a foot touching three point line.

We do this (above) in Connecticut (and I'm aware that it's also done in many other areas across the country, including non-IAABO areas). Connecticut is 100% IAABO mechanics but this signal is not published in any IAABO mechanics manual that I'm aware of. Some of us have tried to get it added to the IAABO (International) mechanics manual on several occasions, but the Grand Poobahs won't go for it.

We also do this, also not published anywhere:

Coaching boxes must be marked, if not, home team will lose the coaching box, visiting team will have the coaching box, notify commissioner.

Note: This (above) has been approved by our state interscholastic sports governing body.

Both are "official" here in Connecticut. Rookies are taught to do both, both are often mentioned at meetings, it may be in our interpreter's written notes, or written in member's notebooks, but they're not "published" anywhere.

Yet another example of, "When in Rome ..."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Sep 07, 2019 at 11:33am.
Old Sat Sep 07, 2019, 11:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

I swear that some people wouldn't be able to take a leak at halftime if the topic wasn't covered in a manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sat Sep 07, 2019, 11:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Mark Padgett ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I swear that some people wouldn't be able to take a leak at halftime if the topic wasn't covered in a manual.
It's already covered, Mark Padgett's First Rule of Officiating.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Sep 07, 2019, 11:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's already covered, Mark Padgett's First Rule of Officiating.

https://orjewishlife.com/mark-padget...-and-politics/

Nice article about Mark. I hope he's doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sat Sep 07, 2019, 11:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

Things That Make You Go Hmmm ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Makes one ponder how basketball games were officiated before the invention of written language.