The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 05, 2018, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
NY State you have to do a stupid sportsmanship talk to both teams at half court before each game that I always said was stupid. Have a few guys who are gung-ho about it but don't back it up. Usually they question T's I may have and I have a canned response "Were you wasting your breath in that sportsmanship talk you advocate for or do you not intend to back up what you say." It usually ends the conversation, and most others, the rest of the day but I'm ok with it.
We have a pre-game with captains where sportsmanship is the emphasis. Over the past two seasons, I have done about 150 games and called about 35 T's. I do not regret a single one. The only regret is that I didn't call 2 that I should have.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2018, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
NY State you have to do a stupid sportsmanship talk to both teams at half court before each game that I always said was stupid. Have a few guys who are gung-ho about it but don't back it up. Usually they question T's I may have and I have a canned response "Were you wasting your breath in that sportsmanship talk you advocate for or do you not intend to back up what you say." It usually ends the conversation, and most others, the rest of the day but I'm ok with it.
I'm with you. I grow weary of hearing officials pay lip service to how important sportsmanship is and then making every excuse in the book for not penalizing poor behavior.

And whenever I'm with an R that thinks the stupid pregame meeting (combined coaches/captains here) is his "time to shine" (and it happens plenty), I know I'm in for a long night.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2018, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

I refuse to read sportsmanship card I make my partner do it if I ref somewhere it is required. Good coaches don’t need to be told about sportsmanship and bad coaches don’t listen

My pregame is
Introductions
Property equipped, no jewelry, watches or bracelets
Any questions?
Good luck get them ready