The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Popped a coach for clapping at me (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103465-popped-coach-clapping-me.html)

UNIgiantslayers Sat Feb 03, 2018 02:19pm

Popped a coach for clapping at me

3rd q varsity boys. Coach was a dick all first half to my partners but I was never really near him. I had a PC and we had a double whistle so I delayed to make sure my partner was going to give it up since it was in my PCA. I sold the charge signal hard, and coach didn’t like that I delayed. Crowd goes nuts, it gets quiet. Next possession down, his kid lays a brutal illegal screen and I get it. He keeps clapping after it’s over and the gym is quiet except for him clapping and staring me down.

Whack.

You guys popping him here? My partner asked if I could’ve avoided it. I told him I deal with middle school kids all day and don’t need to go to my hobby/job and deal with adults acting like kids. He got lots of leash in the first half and I think we’re to the point in the season where post season referrals are in and IDGAF what the coaches think.

BillyMac Sat Feb 03, 2018 02:44pm

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy ...

Sometimes you just have to take care of business.

Last night. Boys varsity. Visiting head coach complains from the get go about the opponents climbing over his players' backs to get rebounds. At the first intermission, my partner and I get together and decide to keep our eye out for such illegal action. But, even with both of us looking, there aren't any "over the back" calls in the second period, so he continues to complain. Finally, with a few minutes to go in the half, he complains again about our lack of making his favorite call, and yells so that everybody in the gymnasium can hear him, "That's bullshit".

I hit him with a technical foul. He has to be reminded that he has to sit. He was fairly well behaved in the second half, especially after I reminded him that a second technical foul on him would result on him having to sit on the very cold team bus for the rest of the game.

At least he didn't ask why he wasn't given one of those new fangled official written in the scorebook warnings.

SC Official Sat Feb 03, 2018 02:57pm

I don't like absolutes and I don't like saying what I would have done when I wasn't there to see what transpired.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 1016241)
You guys popping him here? My partner asked if I could’ve avoided it.

Sometimes you just have to stick to your guns and penalize poor behavior. There are always going to be "holier than thou" officials and assigners (including some on this forum) who assume something was handled incorrectly whenever a T is dished out.

Making every excuse in the book to avoid enforcing sportsmanship rules (generally) does not serve officials well.

CJP Sat Feb 03, 2018 02:57pm

Quote:

3rd q varsity boys. Coach was a dick all first half to my partners but I was never really near him. I had a PC and we had a double whistle so I delayed to make sure my partner was going to give it up since it was in my PCA. I sold the charge signal hard, and coach didn’t like that I delayed. Crowd goes nuts, it gets quiet. Next possession down, his kid lays a brutal illegal screen and I get it. He keeps clapping after it’s over and the gym is quiet except for him clapping and staring me down.

Whack.

You guys popping him here? My partner asked if I could’ve avoided it. I told him I deal with middle school kids all day and don’t need to go to my hobby/job and deal with adults acting like kids. He got lots of leash in the first half and I think we’re to the point in the season where post season referrals are in and IDGAF what the coaches think.

I would have done the same. Good work.

As far as your partner asking if it could have been avoided, it could have potentially been avoided if your partner handled this guy sooner.

JRutledge Sat Feb 03, 2018 03:09pm

I might have and might not have. I think you were there and have to decide if this action was continuous enough or distracting enough.

I gave a T this week for a coach basically telling me what to do. When I whacked him I said, "Never tell me what to do." He shut up and tried to get into my head more (I really did not care as it was a girls game) and he realized that dog was not hunting and he moved on. I know others would not have T'd him up the way I did, but I feel there is a certain level of respect I deserve and I know I give a lot of respect in return to coaches. But others think you should not do anything even if your "fun bucket" has filled up.

Based on what is said, I have little issue with it if you feel all his actions were directed at you.

You roll the dice, you might just crap out. Coach saw you were "Not that one." :D

Peace

SC Official Sat Feb 03, 2018 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1016245)
I gave a T this week for a coach basically telling me what to do. When I whacked him I said, "Never tell me what to do." He shut up and tried to get into my head more (I really did not care as it was a girls game) and he realized that dog was not hunting and he moved on.

So in a boys game would you have done the same thing?

Not being critical, genuinely wondering.

bob jenkins Sat Feb 03, 2018 09:20pm

Quote:

He keeps clapping after it’s over and the gym is quiet except for him clapping and staring me down.

It needs to be addressed,. That could be a "knock it the F off", a formal warning, a T. All could be appropriate depending on the area, you, the coach, your history, the conference, your assigner, how much you (as a crew) had already talked to him, etc.

VaTerp Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:33am

Quote:

He keeps clapping after it’s over and the gym is quiet except for him clapping and staring me down.

Whack.

You guys popping him here?

HTBT situation to say what I would do but a "show you up" clap plus stare down is enough for me to give you all the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1016251)
It needs to be addressed,. That could be a "knock it the F off", a formal warning, a T. All could be appropriate depending on the area, you, the coach, your history, the conference, your assigner, how much you (as a crew) had already talked to him, etc.

Agree 100%. The important thing is that this is addressed. If a T felt like the best option then so be it.

JRutledge Sun Feb 04, 2018 01:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1016247)
So in a boys game would you have done the same thing?

Not being critical, genuinely wondering.

Yes. It is not your place as a coach to tell an official what to do. You would not like it as a coach if I told you what to call or how to coach, so do not tell me how to respond to a question. It is that simple.

Honestly, in my area, there are not a lot of good girls officials IMO. They act a fool with them and thinks that works with everyone. It does not.

Peace

bbman Sun Feb 04, 2018 08:36am

"They act a fool with them and thinks that works with everyone. It does not".

I'm sorry, I thought I was somewhat street savoy, but could please further explain this comment?
Thank you

JRutledge Sun Feb 04, 2018 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbman (Post 1016259)

I'm sorry, I thought I was somewhat street savoy, but could please further explain this comment?
Thank you

What is there to explain? Not everyone is going to react to the same behavior. You might just meet the wrong one on the day you are acting a fool.

Peace

FormerUmp Sun Feb 04, 2018 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbman (Post 1016259)

Thank you

I don't want to speak for him, but I believe he's suggesting that they get away with a lot of not-so-great behavior with the majority of officials in their games, and they're caught off guard when they get an official who won't let them get away with it.

#olderthanilook Mon Feb 05, 2018 08:54am

Quote:

You guys popping him here?

Absolutely. He earned it. You whacking him was a mere formality.

LRZ Mon Feb 05, 2018 08:59am

The sportsmanship code read to the coaches and captains before every PIAA-sanctioned event reads, in part, "Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated."

If that shoe fits....

UNIgiantslayers Mon Feb 05, 2018 09:48am

Update

Here's a fun little update:

I had this team again later in the week. 2nd half, his team is down big. Foul count is 9-1 against his team, and his kids continue to play sloppy handsy defense. During a 1+1, he says "9-1" twice. I looked over and gave him my best death stare, and then my partner thought he heard him say "You guys should be ashamed of yourselves." He wasn't sure if it was someone behind him though, so he let it go. It goes to show that some people never learn.

Later in the game, he was complaining to me about one of the other players taunting his fans- "Tell so-and-so to stop taunting our fans." I told him "if I see it, I'll talk to him. I'm not going to talk to him if I don't see it." He goes "That's your job." I just walked away.

In our state, we fill out sportsmanship ratings for the boys' union and they go to the AD. I'd love to see how everyone else has rated him this year and if he's this way to everyone or if he just doesn't like me.

He has some talented kids, but he doesn't coach. He literally sits there and says nothing to his kids and complains to/about the officials. I truly feel bad for his kids because they deserve a coach and he acts more like a fan in the stands. Fortunately I won't see his team again until next year so hopefully he improves in that area by then.