The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets View Post
This sounds exactly like a few coaches I know, which I'm pretty sure is only an hour or so south of you I called my first technical a couple of weeks ago on a coach who clapped and yelled "Yay we got one!" when a foul was called against his opponent. I never knew how I'd know when it was time to finally whack a guy....then I knew.
I’m dying to know where those coaches are and if he was one of them. Are you in this area or just know people around here?

I might have an idea of who you are after creeping all the Matts on Arbiter.

Last edited by UNIgiantslayers; Mon Feb 05, 2018 at 11:13pm.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 12:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Codes like this read before games might as well not be read. Nobody listens to them and they become part of the background noise.
Or somebody like me would be a smart-ass and say something like "wasn't there a sportsmanship code read before the game?"
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 09:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Or somebody like me would be a smart-ass and say something like "wasn't there a sportsmanship code read before the game?"
Funny, I probably would do the same thing.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 09:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I've heard referees say something along the lines of "a good captains meeting goes a long way toward preventing problems." Normally, those are the R's whose captains meetings last forever.
I will say it this way, it does set a tone. It might not prevent anything, but it can set a tone that makes it clear that certain things are not to be tolerated or your expectations.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I will say it this way, it does set a tone. It might not prevent anything, but it can set a tone that makes it clear that certain things are not to be tolerated or your expectations.

Peace
I agree, that's why I'm thankful we don't have a speech mandated to us (at least not yet...). I think that if you are required to give some broad spiel about sportsmanship that they hear every time, then the message you really want to get across can get drowned out.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 09:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
I agree, that's why I'm thankful we don't have a speech mandated to us (at least not yet...). I think that if you are required to give some broad spiel about sportsmanship that they hear every time, then the message you really want to get across can get drowned out.
I basically say, "Gentleman (or Ladies) it is about sportsmanship and if we are talking to you, you need to listen. But if you do not listen, then we are going to half to put air in the whistle and no one wants to see that. Put the ball in the basket and no will care what we are doing. Good luck."

Peace
Old Tue Feb 06, 2018, 10:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Funny, I probably would do the same thing.

Peace
Yup. Been there, done that.

"Take care of your knuckleheads before we have to."
Old Tue Feb 27, 2018, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

At least he didn't ask why he wasn't given one of those new fangled official written in the scorebook warnings.

Best response I came up with for this about mid season when I heard it was, “You did, they just wrote it in, and as a bonus, it came with a technical foul!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Feb 27, 2018, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

We are required to read--not just recite, but actually read--a brief statement. I too think it is, for the most part, meaningless, but it does provide me with a stock answer I have employed on occasion, repeating one sentence from the code: "Actions meant to demean ... officials are not in the higher ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated."

Coaches typically look embarrassed. In any event, this works for a play or two, then back to business as usual.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2018, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Here's a fun little update:

He has some talented kids, but he doesn't coach. He literally sits there and says nothing to his kids and complains to/about the officials.
This stuff kills me...Your team is playing like garbage and you do NOTHING to address it?! Kid plays crap defense with their hands all over a ball handler or continually drops their arms creating contact on shot attempts, gets called for foul and coach is yelling "Good defense Johnny...keep it up"
Old Thu Mar 01, 2018, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets View Post
This sounds exactly like a few coaches I know, which I'm pretty sure is only an hour or so south of you I called my first technical a couple of weeks ago on a coach who clapped and yelled "Yay we got one!" when a foul was called against his opponent. I never knew how I'd know when it was time to finally whack a guy....then I knew.
I totally understand what you are saying.

I had not given one in my career. I had taken a fair amount of heat on this board for not doing so. I had never felt the need as we have pretty respectful coaches in our area and they treat me well. My method of communication/handling offiicials has worked.

In the last couple of weeks, I have given two Ts. Not surprisingly they were to coaches from other areas that I never see. Not sure if they were testing me, or if they act like that where they usually play their games.

One basically told me my crew was pulling for the other team. Whack!!!!!

The other was making smart ass comments over and over and over, the same comments, about the fouls against his team. Whack!!!!

Felt good!!!!!!!

I understand why some of you guys hand out Ts on a regular basis. Sounds like you guys deal with a lot more stuff than we have to in our part of the world. I imagine what I gave Ts for, you guys see on a regular basis?
Old Thu Mar 01, 2018, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Those are also officials who wouldn't whack someone if their lives depended on it.

Here's my philosophy:

"A good captains' meeting takes fewer than 11 seconds."
100% correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They aren't listening most of the time and couldn't care less about what we say!
Old Mon Mar 05, 2018, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Here's a fun little update:

I had this team again later in the week. 2nd half, his team is down big. Foul count is 9-1 against his team, and his kids continue to play sloppy handsy defense. During a 1+1, he says "9-1" twice. I looked over and gave him my best death stare, and then my partner thought he heard him say "You guys should be ashamed of yourselves." He wasn't sure if it was someone behind him though, so he let it go. It goes to show that some people never learn.

Later in the game, he was complaining to me about one of the other players taunting his fans- "Tell so-and-so to stop taunting our fans." I told him "if I see it, I'll talk to him. I'm not going to talk to him if I don't see it." He goes "That's your job." I just walked away.

In our state, we fill out sportsmanship ratings for the boys' union and they go to the AD. I'd love to see how everyone else has rated him this year and if he's this way to everyone or if he just doesn't like me.

He has some talented kids, but he doesn't coach. He literally sits there and says nothing to his kids and complains to/about the officials. I truly feel bad for his kids because they deserve a coach and he acts more like a fan in the stands. Fortunately I won't see his team again until next year so hopefully he improves in that area by then.
During a 1+1, he says "9-1" twice.

Whack!
Old Mon Mar 05, 2018, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching a college game this past week and the coach of one of the teams was awful. He complained the entire game and coached very little. His team was the weaker of the the two and things played out like one would expect. There it nothing really T worthy to share but he made a comment that is related to the topic of coaches saying stupid things. With about 6 minutes left in the game, he is down 15 or so, he says "we ain't getting no calls". I was keeping track of stats and his team had shot 31 free throws to the other teams 18 and he was complaining.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2018, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

NY State you have to do a stupid sportsmanship talk to both teams at half court before each game that I always said was stupid. Have a few guys who are gung-ho about it but don't back it up. Usually they question T's I may have and I have a canned response "Were you wasting your breath in that sportsmanship talk you advocate for or do you not intend to back up what you say." It usually ends the conversation, and most others, the rest of the day but I'm ok with it.