The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Later in the game, he was complaining to me about one of the other players taunting his fans- "Tell so-and-so to stop taunting our fans." I told him "if I see it, I'll talk to him. I'm not going to talk to him if I don't see it." He goes "That's your job." I just walked away.
Whack.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Whack.
If it had been earlier in the game, I would but I think it was around 2:00 or so and we had a running clock due to the state's mercy rule. No reason to prolong our time with him at that point.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 10:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
The sportsmanship code read to the coaches and captains before every PIAA-sanctioned event reads, in part, "Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated."

If that shoe fits....
Codes like this read before games might as well not be read. Nobody listens to them and they become part of the background noise.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Codes like this read before games might as well not be read. Nobody listens to them and they become part of the background noise.
A few schools here have their PA announcers read them before the starting lineups are introduced, five minutes after the crew was forced to read them to head coaches and captains - doubling down on the useless.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeardedbryan View Post
...the crew was forced to read them to head coaches and captains - doubling down on the useless.
What the .....???
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Forced = Mandated = Required

In PA, there is a mandatory pre-game with head coaches and captains, at which we are required to read the sportsmanship statement verbatim. I do so, trying to give it meaning by my tone of voice--many refs recite it mechanically, in a monotone--then ask if there are any questions; there never are--then "good luck, have a great game and have fun."

I don't fool myself that the code is effective in controlling behavior--likewise, for example, the code in Legion baseball--but it is required, so I make the best of it. On occasion, I've dealt with a hectoring coach by repeating the part about demeaning officials will not be tolerated, like a warning.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
... read the sportsmanship statement verbatim.
Emphasis on "read," too. I got docked on an evaluation for having memorized the sportsmanship statement and, therefore, not holding the PIAA card in my hand and reading from it.

I'll leave it to your imagination which method I think seems more professional.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 12:12pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
If it had been earlier in the game, I would but I think it was around 2:00 or so and we had a running clock due to the state's mercy rule. No reason to prolong our time with him at that point.
IMO there is a reason bc we fill out paperwork for every T so he would have even a further record. Not sure if you have that. Just bc it is late in the game he is not going to get a free crack at us. I would T him even without the report.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
3rd q varsity boys. Coach was a dick all first half to my partners but I was never really near him. I had a PC and we had a double whistle so I delayed to make sure my partner was going to give it up since it was in my PCA. I sold the charge signal hard, and coach didn’t like that I delayed. Crowd goes nuts, it gets quiet. Next possession down, his kid lays a brutal illegal screen and I get it. He keeps clapping after it’s over and the gym is quiet except for him clapping and staring me down.

Whack.

You guys popping him here? My partner asked if I could’ve avoided it. I told him I deal with middle school kids all day and don’t need to go to my hobby/job and deal with adults acting like kids. He got lots of leash in the first half and I think we’re to the point in the season where post season referrals are in and IDGAF what the coaches think.
I am popping him. Its happened once or twice and I regret not popping the coach.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's a fun little update:

I had this team again later in the week. 2nd half, his team is down big. Foul count is 9-1 against his team, and his kids continue to play sloppy handsy defense. During a 1+1, he says "9-1" twice. I looked over and gave him my best death stare, and then my partner thought he heard him say "You guys should be ashamed of yourselves." He wasn't sure if it was someone behind him though, so he let it go. It goes to show that some people never learn.

Later in the game, he was complaining to me about one of the other players taunting his fans- "Tell so-and-so to stop taunting our fans." I told him "if I see it, I'll talk to him. I'm not going to talk to him if I don't see it." He goes "That's your job." I just walked away.

In our state, we fill out sportsmanship ratings for the boys' union and they go to the AD. I'd love to see how everyone else has rated him this year and if he's this way to everyone or if he just doesn't like me.

He has some talented kids, but he doesn't coach. He literally sits there and says nothing to his kids and complains to/about the officials. I truly feel bad for his kids because they deserve a coach and he acts more like a fan in the stands. Fortunately I won't see his team again until next year so hopefully he improves in that area by then.
This sounds exactly like a few coaches I know, which I'm pretty sure is only an hour or so south of you I called my first technical a couple of weeks ago on a coach who clapped and yelled "Yay we got one!" when a foul was called against his opponent. I never knew how I'd know when it was time to finally whack a guy....then I knew.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fortunately I won't see his team again until next year so hopefully he improves in that area by then.
In the words of the immortal Wayland Boot, "Those chances are slim and none, and Slim just left town."
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeardedbryan View Post
Emphasis on "read," too. I got docked on an evaluation for having memorized the sportsmanship statement and, therefore, not holding the PIAA card in my hand and reading from it.

I'll leave it to your imagination which method I think seems more professional.
Wow, that's crazy - in NJ we have the same requirement, I never even thought to memorize it! I feel silly reading from the card, and I am sure the kids feel just as stupid, standing there, watching me read from a card!
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 08:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

We have a real sportsmanship problem, and I've witnessed first hand that people think these cards/banners/announcements are actually solutions that fix things.

They don't. Anyone with half a brain realizes that these efforts are just paying lip service to the problem.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We have a real sportsmanship problem, and I've witnessed first hand that people think these cards/banners/announcements are actually solutions that fix things.

They don't. Anyone with half a brain realizes that these efforts are just paying lip service to the problem.
I've heard referees say something along the lines of "a good captains meeting goes a long way toward preventing problems." Normally, those are the R's whose captains meetings last forever.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2018, 08:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I've heard referees say something along the lines of "a good captains meeting goes a long way toward preventing problems." Normally, those are the R's whose captains meetings last forever.
Those are also officials who wouldn't whack someone if their lives depended on it.

Here's my philosophy:

"A good captains' meeting takes fewer than 11 seconds."