Old Mon Jan 29, 2018, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedewed View Post
with all due respect,
Are you an official?
Old Mon Jan 29, 2018, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Used to officiate high school then college, had kid that played and haven't gone back, would rather use the energy to still play actually. I used to ref pro-am summer league with current NBA and D1 players in the area and had no problem. I know how to call the game and players at that level liked the way I called the game, never had any issues.

Knocking a player off his line as he is running from the low block to set a high ball screen is not normal basketball. Nor is bodying and hipping a guy that isn't doing anything other than standing around, albeit not in the corner. How anyone that watches the game would think those were anything other than intentional is surprising to me. You have to use common sense out there.

I'm pretty sure some team will go down this road since the door seems to be open for it, the stakes are so high. I don't know what the right answer is, but I know what the right answer should be to promote the best possible game.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2018, 09:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Chucking the cutter, rerouting people, and bumping people off their spots have been around forever. That's why we have POE's on some of those things in different years. We have free games that tell us to look out for those things.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Chucking the cutter, rerouting people, and bumping people off their spots have been around forever. That's why we have POE's on some of those things in different years. We have free games that tell us to look out for those things.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I know that, that is why you need to inject common sense into what they are up to. If it is constant and egregious, you know they are trying to draw a whistle. If they are intentionally fouling away from the ball, that is included in what we now call F1. KSU would have used it last night per the announcers, but they never got close enough to bother.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 08:21am
Courageous When Prudent

It not something that bothers me. I know how to call F1's when warranted. I also talk to players who are close to committing the intentional version of F1's.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It not something that bothers me. I know how to call F1's when warranted. I also talk to players who are close to committing the intentional version of F1's.

Agreed
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting, head coach of K State said this morning on the radio that he was warned before the KU game last night in the officials pre-game about intentional-type fouling. John Higgins was the lead. So I think the crews take was a little tighter than what happened in those OU highlights.