The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fouling bad ft shooter away from ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103405-fouling-bad-ft-shooter-away-ball.html)

thedewed Wed Jan 24, 2018 07:42am

Fouling bad ft shooter away from ball

In the ku ou game last night, ou fouled ku's big intentionally away from ball 5 possessions in a row. It was obvious to the point the big went to the corner and ou went over and put his hands on him. How is that not a flagrant 1 under section 2 or 4, as a non bball play or a play designed to simply stop the clock? What do theyou tell you college guys these days? At one point I thought you couldn't foul away from the ball like that without the extra penalty

bob jenkins Wed Jan 24, 2018 07:51am

Didn't see it, but as described this should have been an F1 (NCAAM), IP (NCAA), or Unsporting (NCAAW) foul.

thedewed Wed Jan 24, 2018 07:58am

I haven't seen or heard anyone say that, we'll known officials on the game. He wasn't trying to post up or involved in the play. Scrub was in to execute. That's what I think reading the rule. Intentional no longer appears in the book, but I thought that was because a play don't have to be intentional to fit? Interesting, I hope someone official addresses it for all

frezer11 Wed Jan 24, 2018 09:09am

I'd like to see some video on it if possible. I didn't see the game, but have a buddy who's a life long Jayhawk, and he was telling me the same thing.

thedewed Fri Jan 26, 2018 06:53am

So apparently in college hack-a-shaq is in play, you can file someone off ball as long as you're not bear hugging them if you just body them knock them off their path when they're running or did your forearm into them, you can put them to the line whether the ball is in their hands are not correct? Because that's what happened. I don't have a way to get video on it, but I assure you this is going to be in a bigger issue in the next week or two. It used to be when I left college that if it was away from the ball like that it was going to be intentional. I think the word intentional was taken out of the rule in about 2011 to clarify that contact didn't have to be intentional to be penalized when the crazy over elbows to the Head became a deal. Interesting

AremRed Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 1015596)
So apparently in college hack-a-shaq is in play, you can file someone off ball as long as you're not bear hugging them if you just body them knock them off their path when they're running or did your forearm into them, you can put them to the line whether the ball is in their hands are not correct? Because that's what happened. I don't have a way to get video on it, but I assure you this is going to be in a bigger issue in the next week or two. It used to be when I left college that if it was away from the ball like that it was going to be intentional. I think the word intentional was taken out of the rule in about 2011 to clarify that contact didn't have to be intentional to be penalized when the crazy over elbows to the Head became a deal. Interesting

The rule puts officials in a really tough position, especially when the fouling team is smart and fouls the kid in such a way that it seems like just another foul. I'm sure the officials caught on to what they were doing, but if the fouls are subtle then there's nothing really they can do. We should expect some clarification from JD/Art on this front though.

Raymond Fri Jan 26, 2018 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 1015596)

Intentional fouls are F1's in college.

HS or college, the first time this is attempted I'm telling the offender that if I blow my whistle it will be for an intentional/F1. Then when I get a chance I will inform the HC or an AC from that team.

Actually had this situation in a HS game last week and did exactly I say above.

frezer11 Fri Jan 26, 2018 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1015662)
Intentional fouls are F1's in college.

HS or college, the first time this is attempted I'm telling the offender that if I blow my whistle it will be for an intentional/F1. Then when I get a chance I will inform the HC or an AC from that team.

Actually had this situation in a HS game last week and did exactly I say above.

So wait, did you call the common foul first, and then give the warning? Or did you see them attempting the foul, and chose not to call it and warn them to stop or it will be intentional?

VaTerp Fri Jan 26, 2018 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1015675)
So wait, did you call the common foul first, and then give the warning? Or did you see them attempting the foul, and chose not to call it and warn them to stop or it will be intentional?

I believe he is saying the latter and I've done the same thing in a HS game.

I told the kid, this is not the NBA and his actions would be deemed an intentional foul.

He stopped immediately. Next opportunity I had, I informed the coach as well.

thedewed Fri Jan 26, 2018 02:29pm

A scrub fouled out in 2 minutes late in the ou ku game, it was very obvious what he was doing, all away from the ball, and no f1 was called. All but one were completely away from a focal point of play and clearly to put a bad ft shooter at the line. Won't be the last we will see of it in the big 12. Clarification is in order.

JRutledge Fri Jan 26, 2018 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 1015317)
In the ku ou game last night, ou fouled ku's big intentionally away from ball 5 possessions in a row.

Did this happen in the last few minutes of the game?

Peace

frezer11 Fri Jan 26, 2018 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1015682)
Did this happen in the last few minutes of the game?

Peace

From the play-by-play, it looks like the first foul is at 3:37 of 2nd half.

JRutledge Fri Jan 26, 2018 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1015686)
From the play-by-play, it looks like the first foul is at 3:37 of 2nd half.

For my clarification, you said there were multiple fouls that took place after that incident?

Peace

frezer11 Fri Jan 26, 2018 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1015688)
For my clarification, you said there were multiple fouls that took place after that incident?

Peace

Correct, multiple fouls on the same player. For the record, I didn't actually see it myself live, I just want to see if these are truly off-ball fouls that should've been F1's, and if not, how were they disguised as to get a common-foul designation.

Raymond Fri Jan 26, 2018 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 1015678)
I believe he is saying the latter and I've done the same thing in a HS game.

I told the kid, this is not the NBA and his actions would be deemed an intentional foul.

He stopped immediately. Next opportunity I had, I informed the coach as well.

Funny, when I told the player what the consequence would be if I called his foul, he told me I was terrible, and my response was "This isn't the NBA".

I went to his AC during the next time-out to explain the situation and AC immediately told me he knew what I was talking about and that he would handle it.