The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

"Good" spin moves may be travels by rule, but on a macro level, the game of basketball doesn't 'want' this move to be illegal.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
"Good" spin moves may be travels by rule, but on a macro level, the game of basketball doesn't 'want' this move to be illegal.
Then the rules makers should add this to the travel rule as an exception, much like the jump stop.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Then the rules makers should add this to the travel rule as an exception, much like the jump stop.
Which, in actuality, a spin move is.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't disagree. But really, allowing this is much like not calling travels on the catch during fast breaks, because those are almost always travels as well. So are a good number off simple lay-ups. The "2-beats" philosophy that defines an NBA travel has essentially become the unwritten standard at the collegiate and HS levels as well. The players, coaches, fans, administrators and the overwhelming majority of officials are okay with it.

There are other violations we should get better at calling though, particularly the travels at the beginning of a dribble drive.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Which, in actuality, a spin move is.
No it's not. No one picks up both feet and then returns them both to the floor during a spin movie.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't disagree. But really, allowing this is much like not calling travels on the catch during fast breaks, because those are almost always travels as well. So are a good number off simple lay-ups. The "2-beats" philosophy that defines an NBA travel has essentially become the unwritten standard at the collegiate and HS levels as well. The players, coaches, fans, administrators and the overwhelming majority of officials are okay with it.

There are other violations we should get better at calling though, particularly the travels at the beginning of a dribble drive.
Like I have said before, we are awful as officials in calling travels. We either call the ones that are not there but not understanding the rule (like a Jump Stop) or we totally ignore moves like spins or even the move before the dribble drive where clearly there are travels.

I posted this play because we seem to miss an obvious travel but then penalize the defensive team again by calling a foul. I can certainly see a coach being very upset by that situation.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
No it's not. No one picks up both feet and then returns them both to the floor during a spin movie.
They could, but since they don't, it becomes illegal. And yes, I've seen it. Rarely, but I've seen it.

And if officials ref'd spin moves with the same principles they ref jump stops, they would call more travels and be correct.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 23, 2018 at 03:30pm.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The players, coaches, fans, administrators and the overwhelming majority of officials are okay with it.
Maybe it's area / level dependent, but I get more questions about no-calls ("bob -- why wasn't that a travel?") then I do about calls -- on drives, stuttersteps, legal (in my view, at least) spin moves, etc.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I have called this several times this year and have seen partners call it too. It is called more than it has been before.

I also think that as a whole we call too many travels that really aren't simply because they look funny.