The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 01:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Travel then foul? Or just block/charg call (Video)

Peace
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 01:55pm
We don't rent pigs

An obvious travel which hasn't been called in college in several years and has trickled down to high school enough that I have finally stopped calling it myself, because I don't want to be the only one.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Hard to legally defend an opponent who is allowed extra foot movement.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Calling the travel would've been so much easier and kept that player in the game much longer.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
An obvious travel which hasn't been called in college in several years and has trickled down to high school enough that I have finally stopped calling it myself, because I don't want to be the only one.
Hmm...I'd say its the opposite with my main HS board here. Our interpreter has made spin move travels a point of emphasis for several years now.

I'm calling them more and more.

This one is super obvious. He not only replaces his pivot foot but then gets away with another step.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

If the travel is ignored, then I think it's a charge -- but it's close. IN NCAAM they might have special emphasis on the defender continuing to move "UP" to vertical -- and this might be the reason for the call.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Same. I used to be the guy to get this, but no longer.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 08:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It did not trickle down to high school, this was almost never called in high school as long as I could remember. High school officials just do not call other travels as well, this is just one of them that I never see called.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 03:23am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It did not trickle down to high school, this was almost never called in high school as long as I could remember. High school officials just do not call other travels as well, this is just one of them that I never see called.

Peace
This is not the only one that is not called, but this one may be the most obvious. It seems that this play continues to evolve. Not so long ago when a video like this was posted, somebody would comment that it may not be a travel because it was "unclear when the gather was completed." So now does everyone agree that this play is a travel? And do we all agree that in college (at least the ones on tv) it is never called?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 07:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
This is not the only one that is not called, but this one may be the most obvious. It seems that this play continues to evolve. Not so long ago when a video like this was posted, somebody would comment that it may not be a travel because it was "unclear when the gather was completed." So now does everyone agree that this play is a travel? And do we all agree that in college (at least the ones on tv) it is never called?
I have been calling this play a travel more this season in both college and high school games. The slower and more awkward the spin the more likely I am to call a travel, because it is more obvious to everybody that it is a travel.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jan 22, 2018 at 08:48am.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Question.....don't you all feel that you will get more grief than anything if you start calling these at the high school level? Nearly every spin move is a travel by rule since the pivot foot comes back to the ground.

I have called the obvious ones (bad spin moves) and I still get grief about it from officials (smh) and coaches.

What do you think?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Question.....don't you all feel that you will get more grief than anything if you start calling these at the high school level? Nearly every spin move is a travel by rule since the pivot foot comes back to the ground.

I have called the obvious ones (bad spin moves) and I still get grief about it from officials (smh) and coaches.

What do you think?
You will get grief from coaches who like to complain regardless. Call the rules as written and you can't be wrong. I could give two cents about a coach arguing when I know I am correct. Explain what he did wrong and move on.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I can understand why quick and tight spin moves are not called travels; it is sometimes difficult to recognize the end of the dribble, which one is the pivot, etc but this one is a slow and sloppy spin move. I am calling that a travel every day of the week. As far as the block/charge, I think the defender got there a hair late so was still coming forward, but I agree that travel should be called at all levels.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 12:09pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Sadly this is me as well.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a pennsylvania coach View Post
same. I used to be the guy to get this, but no longer.
+1