The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Travel then foul? Or just block/charg call (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103386-travel-then-foul-just-block-charg-call-video.html)

JRutledge Sun Jan 21, 2018 01:47pm

Travel then foul? Or just block/charg call (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rp9X8-Q4K8o" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

just another ref Sun Jan 21, 2018 01:55pm

An obvious travel which hasn't been called in college in several years and has trickled down to high school enough that I have finally stopped calling it myself, because I don't want to be the only one.

Camron Rust Sun Jan 21, 2018 02:04pm

Hard to legally defend an opponent who is allowed extra foot movement.

Blindolbat Sun Jan 21, 2018 02:42pm

Calling the travel would've been so much easier and kept that player in the game much longer.

VaTerp Sun Jan 21, 2018 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1015099)
An obvious travel which hasn't been called in college in several years and has trickled down to high school enough that I have finally stopped calling it myself, because I don't want to be the only one.

Hmm...I'd say its the opposite with my main HS board here. Our interpreter has made spin move travels a point of emphasis for several years now.

I'm calling them more and more.

This one is super obvious. He not only replaces his pivot foot but then gets away with another step.

bob jenkins Sun Jan 21, 2018 06:28pm

If the travel is ignored, then I think it's a charge -- but it's close. IN NCAAM they might have special emphasis on the defender continuing to move "UP" to vertical -- and this might be the reason for the call.

A Pennsylvania Coach Sun Jan 21, 2018 08:22pm

Quote:

Same. I used to be the guy to get this, but no longer.

JRutledge Sun Jan 21, 2018 08:35pm

Quote:

It did not trickle down to high school, this was almost never called in high school as long as I could remember. High school officials just do not call other travels as well, this is just one of them that I never see called.

Peace

just another ref Mon Jan 22, 2018 03:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1015128)
It did not trickle down to high school, this was almost never called in high school as long as I could remember. High school officials just do not call other travels as well, this is just one of them that I never see called.

Peace

This is not the only one that is not called, but this one may be the most obvious. It seems that this play continues to evolve. Not so long ago when a video like this was posted, somebody would comment that it may not be a travel because it was "unclear when the gather was completed." So now does everyone agree that this play is a travel? And do we all agree that in college (at least the ones on tv) it is never called?

Raymond Mon Jan 22, 2018 07:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1015139)
This is not the only one that is not called, but this one may be the most obvious. It seems that this play continues to evolve. Not so long ago when a video like this was posted, somebody would comment that it may not be a travel because it was "unclear when the gather was completed." So now does everyone agree that this play is a travel? And do we all agree that in college (at least the ones on tv) it is never called?

I have been calling this play a travel more this season in both college and high school games. The slower and more awkward the spin the more likely I am to call a travel, because it is more obvious to everybody that it is a travel.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

pfan1981 Mon Jan 22, 2018 08:36am

Question.....don't you all feel that you will get more grief than anything if you start calling these at the high school level? Nearly every spin move is a travel by rule since the pivot foot comes back to the ground.

I have called the obvious ones (bad spin moves) and I still get grief about it from officials (smh) and coaches.

What do you think?

hamnegger Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfan1981 (Post 1015143)
Question.....don't you all feel that you will get more grief than anything if you start calling these at the high school level? Nearly every spin move is a travel by rule since the pivot foot comes back to the ground.

I have called the obvious ones (bad spin moves) and I still get grief about it from officials (smh) and coaches.

What do you think?

You will get grief from coaches who like to complain regardless. Call the rules as written and you can't be wrong. I could give two cents about a coach arguing when I know I am correct. Explain what he did wrong and move on.

ballgame99 Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:41am

I can understand why quick and tight spin moves are not called travels; it is sometimes difficult to recognize the end of the dribble, which one is the pivot, etc but this one is a slow and sloppy spin move. I am calling that a travel every day of the week. As far as the block/charge, I think the defender got there a hair late so was still coming forward, but I agree that travel should be called at all levels.

jeremy341a Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:09pm

Quote:

Sadly this is me as well.

MechanicGuy Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by a pennsylvania coach (Post 1015126)
same. I used to be the guy to get this, but no longer.

+1