The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Throw-in Questions

A couple inbound questions...

1. Player A1 is inbounding along the sideline and passes the ball towards the front court. The ball hits out of bounds about 10 feet up the court before going inbounds where it is secured by A2 in bounds. Throw-on violation??

2. Player A1 is inbounding along the sideline and throws a long pass that is traveling out of bounds (Basically parallel to the sideline in the air) and is touched by B1 before breaking the out of bounds plane. Violation by B1 for touching a ball out of bounds???
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Throw-in Questions

1. Yes. The thrower did not pass the ball directly into the court per rule. A ball that is passed directly into the court cannot, by interpretation, land untouched outside the court first.

2. I think it is a violation, but not for touching a ball OOB. I think it has more to do with not throwing the ball directly into the court (it can travel a country mile in the OOB side but must ultimately be received on the inbounds side). Let’s both look this one up because we need to be more clear by rule.

EDIT: For #2: Found it. Definitely a violation. See 7-6-2, 9-2-3, and case 9.2.2B part (b).

EDIT 2: Scratch that. I reread your post and noticed that your receiver was an opponent of the thrower. In that case, if B1 is inbounds but reaches over the plane and intercepts.....legal (if not desirable on the part of Team A) throw-in. Play on.

Clearly I need some coffee this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by crosscountry55; Sat Jan 20, 2018 at 08:55am.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
1. Yes. The thrower did not pass the ball directly into the court per rule. A ball that is passed directly into the court cannot, by interpretation, land untouched outside the court first.

2. I think it is a violation, but not for touching a ball OOB. I think it has more to do with not throwing the ball directly into the court (it can travel a country mile in the OOB side but must ultimately be received on the inbounds side). Let’s both look this one up because we need to be more clear by rule.
1. Agreed.

2. It's NOT a violation for B to touch the ball on the OOB side of the plane. It IS a violation for A to do so. See 9-2-3 (And, I don't think I've ever seen this call)
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

2. It's NOT a violation for B to touch the ball on the OOB side of the plane. It IS a violation for A to do so. See 9-2-3 (And, I don't think I've ever seen this call)
What about if it is after a made basket and A1 is passing to A2 who is also behind the end line? How is that evaluated?
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
What about if it is after a made basket and A1 is passing to A2 who is also behind the end line? How is that evaluated?
That's not a throw-in pass, so the rules are different.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Technical foul