The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Basic Throw In Questions

Just thought I'd post this new question here instead of making another thread.

On an inbounds play I understand a player can not jump from OOB into play while receiving a pass in the air.

Can the player have one foot in bounds and the other in the air while coming in bounds? Or does the player have to have established him/her self in bounds by both feet coming down.

One more: Can the in-bounder drop the ball, pick it up, and throw it in, assuming the ball doesn't roll in-bounds.

Hopefully you can make sense of this. Thanks.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 06:34pm. Reason: Made a new thread
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official View Post

On an inbounds play I understand a player can not jump from OOB into play while receiving a pass in the air.

Can the player have one foot in bounds and the other in the air while coming in bounds? Or does the player have to have established him/her self in bounds by both feet coming down.
In basketball, you are where you are touching. There is no such thing as "Establishing" a position in bounds or anywhere else on the court in the context of violations. Fouls, of course, is a different story. So, one toe down inbounds with nothing touching out makes a player inbounds.

If a player is touching two areas, there is a priority of areas.
A player touching inbounds and out of bounds is out of bounds.
A thrower touching inbounds and out of bounds is inbounds.
A player touching inside and outside the 3-point arc is inside arc.
A player touching inside the FT lane and outside the FT lane is in the FT lane.

Quote:
One more: Can the in-bounder drop the ball, pick it up, and throw it in, assuming the ball doesn't roll in-bounds.
Legal. They can "dribble" one or more times. They can jump up and down and do flips...all as long as they release the ball for a throwin that goes into the court within 5 seconds and, if it is a designated spot throwin, they don't leave the area of the spot.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 10:46am.
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 06:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Confucius Says ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
In basketball, you are where you are ...
... until you get where you're going.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 06:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must not have left the court voluntarily and must immediately return inbounds. That player must have something in and nothing out. It is not necessary to have both feet back inbounds. It is a violation for a player to intentionally leave the court for an unauthorized reason.

A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a throwin violation, not traveling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may “dribble” the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hopefully you can make sense of this. Thanks.
Did you try to look these up in the NFHS books on your own before posting?
Going through the books yourself will teach you a great deal.
You can post questions about rules for which you aren't clear and some of the experienced officials here will clarify. Try to give rule citations! That is what will give you the confidence that you have the proper understanding.
Start by trying to find references for Camron's answers in your books.