The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw-in Questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103381-throw-questions.html)

tophat67 Sat Jan 20, 2018 08:32am

Throw-in Questions

A couple inbound questions...

1. Player A1 is inbounding along the sideline and passes the ball towards the front court. The ball hits out of bounds about 10 feet up the court before going inbounds where it is secured by A2 in bounds. Throw-on violation??

2. Player A1 is inbounding along the sideline and throws a long pass that is traveling out of bounds (Basically parallel to the sideline in the air) and is touched by B1 before breaking the out of bounds plane. Violation by B1 for touching a ball out of bounds???

crosscountry55 Sat Jan 20, 2018 08:42am

Throw-in Questions

1. Yes. The thrower did not pass the ball directly into the court per rule. A ball that is passed directly into the court cannot, by interpretation, land untouched outside the court first.

2. I think it is a violation, but not for touching a ball OOB. I think it has more to do with not throwing the ball directly into the court (it can travel a country mile in the OOB side but must ultimately be received on the inbounds side). Let’s both look this one up because we need to be more clear by rule.

EDIT: For #2: Found it. Definitely a violation. See 7-6-2, 9-2-3, and case 9.2.2B part (b).

EDIT 2: Scratch that. I reread your post and noticed that your receiver was an opponent of the thrower. In that case, if B1 is inbounds but reaches over the plane and intercepts.....legal (if not desirable on the part of Team A) throw-in. Play on.

Clearly I need some coffee this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob jenkins Sat Jan 20, 2018 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1015031)
1. Yes. The thrower did not pass the ball directly into the court per rule. A ball that is passed directly into the court cannot, by interpretation, land untouched outside the court first.

2. I think it is a violation, but not for touching a ball OOB. I think it has more to do with not throwing the ball directly into the court (it can travel a country mile in the OOB side but must ultimately be received on the inbounds side). Let’s both look this one up because we need to be more clear by rule.

1. Agreed.

2. It's NOT a violation for B to touch the ball on the OOB side of the plane. It IS a violation for A to do so. See 9-2-3 (And, I don't think I've ever seen this call)

so cal lurker Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1015032)

2. It's NOT a violation for B to touch the ball on the OOB side of the plane. It IS a violation for A to do so. See 9-2-3 (And, I don't think I've ever seen this call)

What about if it is after a made basket and A1 is passing to A2 who is also behind the end line? How is that evaluated?

bob jenkins Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1015036)
What about if it is after a made basket and A1 is passing to A2 who is also behind the end line? How is that evaluated?

That's not a throw-in pass, so the rules are different.

bucky Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1015036)

Technical foul