The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Free throw vioation questions

During a game today a violation was called during a freethrow that I'd never seen. The team member of the FT shooter had one foot inside the marks, but one of his feet was back (kind a like a stance kids starting a distance race take). He wasn't in the lane too early, but the official waived it off because of his back foot being illegally positioned. Anyone know what the max distance is that a player can have his furthest foot away from lane?
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecasper View Post
During a game today a violation was called during a freethrow that I'd never seen. The team member of the FT shooter had one foot inside the marks, but one of his feet was back (kind a like a stance kids starting a distance race take). He wasn't in the lane too early, but the official waived it off because of his back foot being illegally positioned. Anyone know what the max distance is that a player can have his furthest foot away from lane?
The marked lane space is 3 feet.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu May 17, 2012, 10:21am
Courageous When Prudent

The NFHS put in a rule a couple years ago in regards to how players' feet can be positioned in relation to the lane line, nobody ever enforced it.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu May 17, 2012 at 10:25am.
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 10:33am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The NFHS put in a rule a couple years ago in regards to how players' feet can be positioned in relation to the lane line, nobody ever enforced it.

BNF:

Just what in the Sam Hill are you talking about? There is not such rule in the NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's Rules as to how a player in one of the marked lane spaces can position their feet except that they have to be within the confines of the lane space and that NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's Rules for over fifty (50) years and that goes back to the NBCUSC days. The FIBA Rules have been the same also because the NAGWS (women's college in 'The Ancient Day') Rules which were base upon FIBA Rules.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
BNF:

Just what in the Sam Hill are you talking about? There is not such rule in the NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's Rules as to how a player in one of the marked lane spaces can position their feet except that they have to be within the confines of the lane space and that NFHS and NCAA Men's/Women's Rules for over fifty (50) years and that goes back to the NBCUSC days. The FIBA Rules have been the same also because the NAGWS (women's college in 'The Ancient Day') Rules which were base upon FIBA Rules.

MTD, Sr.
Rule 9, Section 1

Art. 3...After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower:

g. A player occupying a marked lane space may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the outside edge of any lane boundary, or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (2 inches by 36 inches) designated by a lane-space mark or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (12 inches by 36 inches) designated by a neutral zone. A player shall position one foot near the outer edge of the free-throw lane line. The other foot may be positioned anywhere within the designated 36-inch lane space.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Thu May 17, 2012, 10:46am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Rule 9, Section 1

g. A player occupying a marked lane space may not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the outside edge of any lane boundary, or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (2 inches by 36 inches) designated by a lane-space mark or beyond the vertical plane of any edge of the space (12 inches by 36 inches) designated by a neutral zone. A player shall position one foot near the outer edge of the free-throw lane line. The other foot may be positioned anywhere within the designated 36-inch lane space.

APG:

To paraphrase President Clinton: Define "near"?

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I don't feel like climbing up into the attic to research this change but to be honest, this has to have been an unannounced grammatical change that I missed because the NCAA Men's/Women's Rules have no such wording. And if it is and unannounced grammatical change, it is one of the most stupid changes that the NFHS Rules Committee has made.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rule 9, Section 1

Obviously I'm not an official and I'm not accustomed to reading rules like this, but I am not understanding this rule at all. "The verticle plane of the outside edge of any lane boundry"? Where would I find this verticle plane?
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 10:58am
Administrator

Quote:
Obviously I'm not an official and I'm not accustomed to reading rules like this, but I am not understanding this rule at all. "The verticle plane of the outside edge of any lane boundry"? Where would I find this verticle plane?

Perpendicular to the playing surface.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu May 17, 2012 at 11:36am. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where the outside edge & inside edge of any lane boundary meet.

The rationale for this is an attempt to remove rough play on FT rebounding.
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
APG:

To paraphrase President Clinton: Define "near"?

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I don't feel like climbing up into the attic to research this change but to be honest, this has to have been an unannounced grammatical change that I missed because the NCAA Men's/Women's Rules have no such wording. And if it is and unannounced grammatical change, it is one of the most stupid changes that the NFHS Rules Committee has made.
Whatever you feel like "near" is to you. No one I know enforces it.

I believe it was an editorial change from a couple of years back.

Old Thu May 17, 2012, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

So as long as his back foot is within 3 feet from the lane he is ok then?
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Whatever you feel like "near" is to you. No one I know enforces it.

I believe it was an editorial change from a couple of years back.
No, it was actually a deliberate rules change....maybe they called it an editorial but the commentary that went with it basically said that while the space is 3' deep, it was not the intent of the rules to allow a player to stand at the back of the space and duck behind another player. Not sure why. But they clearly said they want a foot nearer the lane line than the outer edge of the box. Never called it, however.
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 11:35am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No, it was actually a deliberate rules change....maybe they called it an editorial but the commentary that went with it basically said that while the space is 3' deep, it was not the intent of the rules to allow a player to stand at the back of the space and duck behind another player. Not sure why. But they clearly said they want a foot nearer the lane line than the outer edge of the box. Never called it, however.

Camron:

Do you remember what year the change was made. I am getting senile (according to my sons, LOL). And I still of the opinion that it is a stupid editorial change. Just call the lane violation if the player violates leaving his lane space before he is allowed to leave. I have. No matter where the player stands he still can leave early and go behind an opponent. Just call the violation (not you, I know you would).

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu May 17, 2012 at 02:48pm. Reason: Corrected spelling.
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 01:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Camron:

Do you remember what year the change was made. I am getting senile (according to my sons, LOL). And I still of the oppinion that it is a stupid editorial change. Just call the lane violation if the player violates leaving his lane space before he is allowed to leave. I have. No matter where the player stands he still can leave early and go behind an opponent. Just call the violation (not you, I know you would).

MTD, Sr.
I want to say it was 2-3 years ago. We had a very short debate about it here b/c, as you already stated, we all wanted to know what "near" meant.
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I want to say it was 2-3 years ago. We had a very short debate about it here b/c, as you already stated, we all wanted to know what "near" meant.
From 2009

Rules changes Posted