The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
I have heard some guys make similar statements. I have also seen these same guys get raked over hot coals by coaches. Don't be "that guy".
I hear ya.

It may be hard for most to understand, but the level of respect and professionalism we receive is great. Now, some of the lesser officials may have a harder time than I do.

No, I'm not a perfect or the best official, but I do a good job and coaches know that I do a good job and that I am willing to communicate with them when they have questions. Whether it be my judgment or whatever. They don't reach a boiling point with me............not yet anyway.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
There is no line..... you have never T'd them.
Apparently you don't understand. The coaches we deal with know there is a line there. Whether it's years of experience of Ts they have received in the past, they know it.

I do a good job, and combined with that line, the coaches are great for the most part to us in our area.

I think the rest of you must deal with some pretty over the top coaches.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
There is a reason why I said, "without additional context."

And I know my assingors well enough and have discussed and observed enough situations with them that I feel more than comfortable saying what I said.

So you can continue to be as snide as you'd like and I will continue to offer my opinion and perspective in response to things posted as I see fit.

ETA- And it's funny how we pick and choose when to give officials the "benefit of the doubt." Your comments indicate you are not giving SD Ref the same benefit of the doubt in his interactions with coaches. J Rut offers wise words on getting caught up in personal experiences but this is also a forum where officials share those experiences and people comment on them. Sometimes others can learn from them and sometimes they can't.
Fair enough. I have questions about your assignors mentality. What does "support privately" mean? Are there two sets of standards? Would they support the ejections in the public eye?

Last edited by CJP; Fri Jan 19, 2018 at 11:42am.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
To be fair, we don't know that. Maybe he's just been the most fortunate official to ever bless this forum in terms of coach's behavior. Maybe the SD stands for San Diego and the coaches are always in a good mood due to the beautiful weather and scenery.

We can keep attacking the source and most likely, he's missed opportunities to serve coaches some deserving tea.

But I still agree with him that, without additional context, tossing spectators for saying "you're terrible" or "you should be ashamed of yourself" or even "you're cheating our girls" is not good practice and not something ANY of the HS assigners I have ever work for would support privately.
I have fellow officials in our area that haven't Td up a coach yet too. I'll buy the argument that we have missed an opportunity or two over the years to do so. I'm not perfect.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fair enough. I have questions about your assignors mentality. What does "support privately" mean? Are there two sets of standards? Would they support the ejections in the public eye?
Good question.

When I say support privately I mean that I've seen and discussed situations with assignors who will "back" some of their official's decisions and actions in conversations with administrators and coaches but will privately indicate to the official that going forward, they would like things handled in a different way.

I will give an example from a few years ago that actually dealt with spectator behavior. In a game I worked, one of my partners confronted a fan before going to the locker room for half time. My other partner and I grabbed him before it really escalated to anything. The official explained that the fan made a personal comment about his hair and that struck a nerve with him.

The incident got back to our assingor who spoke with the site administrator about making sure they have the necessary protocols in place to strongly discourage and address fans making personal verbal attacks against officials.

Privately he admonished the official for his actions and reiterated to go through game management if/when an incident like that occurred again.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Apparently you don't understand. The coaches we deal with know there is a line there. Whether it's years of experience of Ts they have received in the past, they know it.
I don't think that you understand, but we can agree to disagree. Sometimes coaches want to get a T to fire up there team and you don't even award them that ability?

This is like saying after years of officiating I have never had a double whistle because my partners and I know our PCA lines. With years of experience this will and still does happen even to the best.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
I don't think that you understand, but we can agree to disagree. Sometimes coaches want to get a T to fire up there team and you don't even award them that ability?

This is like saying after years of officiating I have never had a double whistle because my partners and I know our PCA lines. With years of experience this will and still does happen even to the best.
Well I don't think he said he wouldn't call a T, just that he hasn't.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 01:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

To be fair, unless you are an "assignor", maybe you should not speak for your assignor.
Some of us know our assignors well enough to know their philosophies and expectations.

And supervisors, at times, back officials publicly while admonishing them privately.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 19, 2018 at 01:39pm.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 01:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
It's always tough to tell from small samples (watching my son's games), but it seems to me the bar for Ts has been pretty high. I don't think I've seen a coach Td up this year. I've seen a couple of warnings--one seemed a bit soft ....
All my warnings were soft, purposely so. I can now FORMALLY address unwanted conduct/behavior before it rises to the level of a T. There are some coaches to whom I can talk, but there are others with whom I can't because it becomes negative. I can replace those negative interactions with warnings.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Some of us know our assignors well enough to know their philosophies and expectations.
Unless I hear from an assignor, I will not take anyone's word who speaks on their behalf. So far, one assignor has spoken up on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
supervisors, at times, back officials publicly while admonishing them privately.
These types of people should not be in charge of anything.

This dead horse has been beat enough. Have a great day.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why? Would you suggest that assigners throw their officials under the bus to administrators and coaches as an alternative?
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 02:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Unless I hear from an assignor, I will not take anyone's word who speaks on their behalf. So far, one assignor has spoken up on this thread.

Those kinds of people are in charge of many things, and successfully so.

And it doesn't matter whose word you're willing to accept. What you believe has zero effect on anybody's else relationship with their assignor(s).
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 02:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Why? Would you suggest that assigners throw their officials under the bus to administrators and coaches as an alternative?

Two way honesty is not throwing someone under the bus.

Assigners hire oficials but work for administrators in many places. Not being transparent and honest isn't the right way to do business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 03:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Assigners hire oficials but work for administrators in many places. Not being transparent and honest isn't the right way to do business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
An official can be technically correct in how they handled a situation, but it may not have been the best way in the eyes of the assignor. An official may have suggested to game admin to have a spectator removed. An assignor can back that official's decision to conference administrator while at the same time telling his official that in the future it would be best to ignore such a fan.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2018, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

So you are saying that if you didn't like the way one of your officials handled something, even if it was "technically" correct, you would tell the administrator and the official that you didn't like the way it was handled?