The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

CA Coaches behavior outline

I seem to remember hearing here about how the State of California had guidelines they give to coaches and officials on what kinds of behaviors or statements will result in a Technical foul.

If that is true can someone share to give guidance to others on where the line has been drawn?

Can I get your opinions if it has been helpful or bad for the state?

If other states have something like this too I would love to hear about it too.

Thanks in advance,
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

I don't remember seeing any directives like that but I could be wrong
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 09:55pm
High Five Master

No such thing in Missouri. I cannot imagine it being widespread in its use if there is one in existence. I think we could all agree that what one person sees as profane or automatic,another might view as normal, allowable behavior. Thus, negating the reasoning for having the outline in the first place

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 09:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
No such thing in Missouri. I cannot imagine it being widespread in its use if there is one in existence. I think we could all agree that what one person sees as profane or automatic,another might view as normal, allowable behavior. Thus, negating the reasoning for having the outline in the first place

I wish I had a cool signature
I think it's rare for someone to view something as profane or automatic while others view it as normal. One might see it as profane while another sees it as something that needs to be addressed, but I can't recall anything that has such a wide variance of opinions.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2015, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

It may not delineate what should be a TF versus what should be ignored, but there's always the Coaches' Code of Ethics that's printed in every NFHS rules book for every sport.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2015, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

This is from IL:

Basketball Bench Conduct, Sportsmanship, and the Coaching Box

Each basketball season, the IHSA office receives many questions on acceptable bench conduct by head basketball coaches. The question stems from what is interpreted as acceptable behavior. This document is intended to offer coaches and officials some insight and guidance.

Coaching Box: Illinois has adopted the use of a 14’ coaching box for its member schools. The coaching box can only be utilized by the head coach of a particular team. Failure to comply with the rule results in a distinct advantage that is not within the spirit and intent of the rules. NFHS Rule 10-5 is clear and concise. The head coach of a particular team or any other bench personnel may not be outside the prescribed coaching box except when otherwise permitted by rule. When a coach is out of the coaching box during play, he/she should be assessed a technical foul.

Coaches may respond spontaneously to plays during a contest. However, these reactions should not be prolonged, profane, vulgar, or threatening. If they are, officials should penalize coaches with a technical foul, whether or not the coach was in or out of the coaching box when responding spontaneously. More egregious conduct, whether occurring in or out of the coaching box, should be properly and consistently penalized with a technical foul without warning.

Examples of egregious conduct violations which should be penalized when they occur include, but are not limited to:

1. Comments directed at or referring to any game official that question the integrity of an official. (Repeated references to the foul count against each team; suggesting an official is “cheating” or “homering” a team, etc.)

2. A negative response to a call/no-call including, but not limited to, approaching/charging an official in a hostile, aggressive, or otherwise threatening manner, emphatically removing one’s coat in a response to call/no-call or throwing equipment or clothing, thrashing arms in disgust, running or jumping in disbelief, or other actions deemed to incite undesirable crowd reactions.

Regardless of the situation, it is in everyone’s best interest for coaches and officials to work together to bring about the best possible event for our student-athletes. One key way to achieve this:

Coaches: wait until an official makes his way toward you in the normal course of the game or during dead ball periods to make your point in a civil manner in close proximity.

Officials: when you know or suspect that a coach wants to speak to you, make your way towards the coach so that he/she can make his/her point in a timely and less boisterous manner.

Cooperation from both parties in this manner will result in greater understanding and a better atmosphere for all. Coaches and officials have an obligation to one another, players, and fans to set a positive example for everyone and conduct themselves in a civil, respectful manner.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2015, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Bob
Old Tue Nov 10, 2015, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Give them a "cup of T" without a warning. OK
Old Tue Nov 10, 2015, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Apparently the State of WA Officials have not been handling coaches and the coaching box as well as the State would like us to and so they gave us some guidelines that they want enforced. I have attached two pics from the slideshow that describes the issue, current state of handling and how they want it enforced going forward (phase in period is Dec and full enforcement begins Jan).

Edit: I can't attach the images as they are too large. If you really want to see them them message me with your email and I will send you a copy of the powerpoint or just the two enforcment grid pics I captured (if you can't open a powerpoint).

Last edited by Scuba_ref; Tue Nov 10, 2015 at 11:53am. Reason: Keen eye Bob Jenkins!
Old Tue Nov 10, 2015, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
Apparently the State of WA has not been handling coached and the coaching box as the State would like us to
Huh? The State hasn't been doing what the State wants?
Old Tue Nov 10, 2015, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Huh? The State hasn't been doing what the State wants?
When is that ever a surprise? I have corrected my poorly written post!