The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I have almost no problems at all with college coaches. And the times college coaches do get T'd, they are never a problem the rest of the game.
That's great for you, but I was speaking as a whole. NBA coaches collectively get away with far less than high school and college coaches.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 04:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
That's great for you, but I was speaking as a whole. NBA coaches collectively get away with far less than high school and college coaches.
My experiences are representative of the whole. College coaches conduct themselves so much better than High School coaches is not even a comparison. It is two different planes.

College coaches have to answer to both the coordinator of officials for the conference and the conference commissioner. You don't see any more Bobby Knight's out there.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Dec 30, 2017 at 02:30am.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

I think that in many cases the NBA rule on Ts for coaches makes it easier to call a T.....when then the penalty is one shot ( and no possession), an official will be more likely to call it..... think about what a T is... it is a Technical Violation of the Rules... in the NBA it’s one shot... (most likely a donation to NBA charities) and hey coach, you got my attention and you’re half way out the door. But this doesn’t change the complexion of the game...

Too many officials at NFHS level are worried that a T is two shots and the ball.. which could result in a 4 or 5 point play and a big swing in momentum..we shouldn’t worry about this but too many do...
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 09:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Too many officials at NFHS level are worried that a T is two shots and the ball.. which could result in a 4 or 5 point play and a big swing in momentum..we shouldn’t worry about this but too many do...
You really think officials are worried about two shots that much? I think the issue is that there are no other penalties associated with a T, wherein the NBA there actually is penalties for accumulated Ts. It is usually the fall out I think that is the issue more than giving a T. We do not get supported many times in high school. In the NBA it is hard to dispute an official giving a T when we see him going nuts. Coaches at the high school level say all kinds of things and if you give them a T, they will claim you did something wrong to them.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You really think officials are worried about two shots that much? I think the issue is that there are no other penalties associated with a T, wherein the NBA there actually is penalties for accumulated Ts. It is usually the fall out I think that is the issue more than giving a T. We do not get supported many times in high school. In the NBA it is hard to dispute an official giving a T when we see him going nuts. Coaches at the high school level say all kinds of things and if you give them a T, they will claim you did something wrong to them.

Peace
Now, while I did give out several T's last year, the question I always get is "Was it deserved?" The amount of times I want to simply shout "You know Coach X is a jerk. If he doesn't get a technical it's a miracle." is impossible to count.

I avoid T's (in HS) just to escape the paperwork, incessant questions, and lectures on game management. At this point, I bang it only if the kid's being a dick, or the coach makes it so public I can't let it go. Of course, that might've been the whole point of my assignor anyway.

College? I mostly do JuCo. If I don't stick those cats, they're going to make that D3 Jersey Brawl look like a tea party.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
I actually do think officials worry about it. I’ve heard the discussions. Did not say it was right. I agree that support could be a factor as well.. if the association doesn’t back you, you’re reluctant... I wish the State Associations would adopt accumulated rules and fines to curb bad behavior..it’s many of these coaches that are driving officiating numbers down
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post

I avoid T's (in HS) just to escape the paperwork, incessant questions, and lectures on game management. At this point, I bang it only if the kid's being a dick, or the coach makes it so public I can't let it go. Of course, that might've been the whole point of my assignor anyway.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 10:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
I actually do think officials worry about it. I’ve heard the discussions. Did not say it was right. I agree that support could be a factor as well.. if the association doesn’t back you, you’re reluctant... I wish the State Associations would adopt accumulated rules and fines to curb bad behavior..it’s many of these coaches that are driving officiating numbers down
Let me make my position clear. I am sure there are officials that do worry about all kinds of things like how many shots they get and they get the ball. I just do not think that this is a majority or a constant issue with officials. I only say that because usually officials I know never talk about that aspect of penalty. They do talk about the paperwork potential or make it seem like they do not want to be a "bad guy" or affect their ratings. They are reluctant, but not for that reason that I can tell in overwhelming numbers. Heck, I even started officiating in another state as well and the officials have to give a file a report for every single T given. I have not heard anyone suggest they were unwilling to do that part yet.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 10:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
Now, while I did give out several T's last year, the question I always get is "Was it deserved?" The amount of times I want to simply shout "You know Coach X is a jerk. If he doesn't get a technical it's a miracle." is impossible to count.

This is the position I hear a lot from officials more than anything. I have given Ts only to have someone suggest, "Could you have not done that" from someone that I might have worked for or some fellow official. Or they tell you how much they get along with that coach that called you everything but a child of God. And the suggestion is somehow it was your fault and not their behavior that caused the T result.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 11:03am
Ok is the new good

Quote:
This is the position I hear a lot from officials more than anything. I have given Ts only to have someone suggest, "Could you have not done that" from someone that I might have worked for or some fellow official. Or they tell you how much they get along with that coach that called you everything but a child of God. And the suggestion is somehow it was your fault and not their behavior that caused the T result.

Peace
Some officials are classified as being "Safe", they won't make the tough call whether is a foul or a "T".

This season I have implemented a joint captains and coaches meeting in front of the table before the game starts in lieu of the traditional captain's meeting and then meet & greet with coaches. I have to say that I have found that the coaches that I have done it with seem to behavior better. Coincidence maybe

In the joint meeting I say everyone is getting the same message at the same time on how we will conduct the game. Its funny that some coaches feel like they have done something wrong before the game starts
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
This season I have implemented a joint captains and coaches meeting in front of the table before the game starts in lieu of the traditional captain's meeting and then meet & greet with coaches.
It may vary by state, but according to the officials manual, the one joint meeting is the only one approved by NFHS. I recall it was an option last year, but it is the only one listed this time. I prefer the one meeting, but our group is split on it.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
My experiences are representative of the whole. College coaches conduct themselves so much better than High School coaches is not even a comparison. It is two different planes.

College coaches have to answer to both the coordinator of officials for the conference and the conference commissioner. You don't see any more Bobby Knight's out there.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Coaches answer to the coordinator? That's news to me. Normally it's the other way around.

And NBA coaches are still better behaved collectively than college coaches.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

There are plenty of assigners, camp clinicians, officials, coaches, administrators, etc. who assume you are in the wrong someway, somehow whenever you issue a T, e.g. it must have been the result of bad game management. We are the bad guys for taking care of business. No, this is not the case most of the time, but it does happen. And that is one of the reasons officials may be reluctant to whack.

Instead of asking "what could we have done differently?" or "did it fit?" every time a T is issued, maybe just admit that the coach's reaction was disproportionate with the actual or perceived slight.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Some officials are classified as being "Safe", they won't make the tough call whether is a foul or a "T".

This season I have implemented a joint captains and coaches meeting in front of the table before the game starts in lieu of the traditional captain's meeting and then meet & greet with coaches. I have to say that I have found that the coaches that I have done it with seem to behavior better. Coincidence maybe

In the joint meeting I say everyone is getting the same message at the same time on how we will conduct the game. Its funny that some coaches feel like they have done something wrong before the game starts
You get to choose how you handle the pregame festivitites? We're told what to do down here (one meeting with captains and coaches). I'd much rather just do it the "college way" and meet the captains then shake each coach's hand separately without having a stupid meeting.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 01:48pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

Instead of asking "what could we have done differently?" or "did it fit?" every time a T is issued, maybe just admit that the coach's reaction was disproportionate with the actual or perceived slight.
Yes that does happen..There is a sense of doubt and a putting an official on the spot with those type of questions out of the gate