The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

We screwed up...

I tell my partner 1 and 1. Then I get distracted and he tells them 2 shots. Home rebounds visitors didnt move. He blows the whistle and tells me he screws up.

What do we do... what rule supports us...?
Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

2.10.1 SITUATION H:

A1 is fouled by B1 while in the act of shooting and the try or tap is successful. The administering official erroneously awards and announces two free throws instead of one. A1’s first attempt is unsuccessful and B1 rebounds. Play continues briefly with B1 advancing the ball before the official recognizes the error and stops play.

RULING: Since A1 has attempted the merit- ed free throw he/she was entitled to, there is no further correction to be made. Play shall resume with a throw-in by Team B at the out-of-bounds spot nearest to where play was interrupted.

I dont like it.. cuz we screwed up.. but has the case book spoken!?
Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

That case play doesn't apply.

There are some others where (a) "everyone" goes for the rebound -- play on, or (b) "only one person" goes for the rebound -- use the arrow.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

There are some others where (a) "everyone" goes for the rebound -- play on, or (b) "only one person" goes for the rebound -- use the arrow.
I couldnt see the case play you are talking about. Could you provide a number?
Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Agree. If the erroneous information the official provides causes an unfair advantage to one team—or if no one attempts to rebound—then you have a situation where there was no team control and the status of the rebound cannot be fairly determined. That’s textbook possession arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt View Post
i couldnt see the case play you are talking about. Could you provide a number?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 06:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
8.6.1 SITUATION: A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw
situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that
two shots will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed shot is
rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another
throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw;
or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound.
The officials recognize their error at this point. RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's
error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and
didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be whistled dead immediately and
resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (c), both teams made an
attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to
gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue. (2-3)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I tell my partner 1 and 1. Then I get distracted and he tells them 2 shots. Home rebounds visitors didnt move. He blows the whistle and tells me he screws up.

What do we do... what rule supports us...?
BigT, this is easy and should never happen, and I'm gonna tell you what I do in my pregame and why.
This type of error is easily avoidable, and it happens a lot.
In my pregame, I tell my partners, that on any and all foul shot s,the lead, administering ball official should make eye contact with the other 2 officials and we will "ALL" hold up the fingers necessary for the amount of shots, and on the second shot of 2 we all hold up 1 finger and make eye contact.
is this amateurish ???? Maybe, but me personally, I think it looks professional and we are all on the same page.
I believe in your situation, when you called the foul, you let your partner know it was 1 and 1, but how he got confused between the 1 and 1 or 2 shots is beyond me, if you clearly used your foul mechanics and left him know spot, 1 and 1 or 2 shots. Then you go to the table, report and do everything again, turn to your partner and with eye contact, make sure he has what you have.
But eye contact and communication is the key. These mistake makes you look bad and easy ones like this shouldn't happen.
Someone already posted the answer, but before you post a question here, read the book, find the answer, then post here and see if others know the answer.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewild View Post
BigT, this is easy and should never happen, and I'm gonna tell you what I do in my pregame and why.
This type of error is easily avoidable, and it happens a lot.
In my pregame, I tell my partners, that on any and all foul shot s,the lead, administering ball official should make eye contact with the other 2 officials and we will "ALL" hold up the fingers necessary for the amount of shots, and on the second shot of 2 we all hold up 1 finger and make eye contact.
is this amateurish ???? Maybe, but me personally, I think it looks professional and we are all on the same page.
I believe in your situation, when you called the foul, you let your partner know it was 1 and 1, but how he got confused between the 1 and 1 or 2 shots is beyond me, if you clearly used your foul mechanics and left him know spot, 1 and 1 or 2 shots. Then you go to the table, report and do everything again, turn to your partner and with eye contact, make sure he has what you have.
But eye contact and communication is the key. These mistake makes you look bad and easy ones like this shouldn't happen.
Someone already posted the answer, but before you post a question here, read the book, find the answer, then post here and see if others know the answer.
You can pregame that all you want but that will not stop someone from still administering the FT without doing what you suggest anyway. Pregames are great, but they simply do not stop some mistakes no matter how much you talk about them.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Joined Dec 2017. 2nd post.

Umm. Welcome aboard?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You can pregame that all you want but that will not stop someone from still administering the FT without doing what you suggest anyway. Pregames are great, but they simply do not stop some mistakes no matter how much you talk about them.
I hear ya, Camron. But it helps to be predictable, and the ball shouldn't be presented too the shooter until eye contact and fingers up are made.
and when it goes wrong, you can let your partner know later in the locker room, and hopefully the official that makes the mistake will remember it next time.

But Camron, you do what works for you and I'll keep doing what works "with success" for us !!!
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hear ya, Camron. But it helps to be predictable, and the ball shouldn't be presented too the shooter until eye contact and fingers up are made.
and when it goes wrong, you can let your partner know later in the locker room, and hopefully the official that makes the mistake will remember it next time.

But Camron, you do what works for you and I'll keep doing what works "with success" for us !!!
Oh, I do what you do. But it still doesn't make a partner do so no matter how much you want it to happen.

It is just a pet peeve of mine to hear people suggest that everything can be fixed if you "pre-game it". If I had a dime for every time I've seen someone suggest that it should have been pregamed, I'd be Warren Buffet rich. And if I did pregame everything I've heard suggested, I'd have to arrive at my games 2 days early.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Dec 29, 2017 at 01:48pm.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 02:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Pre-gaming guarantees nothing. Keeping your head in the game during dead balls prevents problems like this. I pre-game the same thing, doesn't mean my partners remember or pay attention.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

It was this officials first boys Varsity game of his career.. I should have been better. thanks everyone.