The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Varsity level, conference game, I'm PU. Coach asks me a question which I answered, but answered incorrectly under FED rules. I had a brain fart and answered using OBR (defensive appearances rule). Bottom line was, because of my mistake, in a one run game in the 7th inning, coach now has to remove his pitcher. Luckily for me, his team held on, but I just didn't know what to do other than apologize when it happened and again after the game. Problem is is that this coach has been a friend of my family's for as long as I've known him and is also one of my supervisors/observors for basketball, and will further have a very important say in whether or not I get a DIII basketball schedule next year. Other than the on-field apologies that I made, is there anything else that I can do? I feel like crap knowing that because of my stupid ignorance I almost cost a team the game.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Doesn't the coach bear some responsibility here as well? If he knew the rule to begin with, he wouldn't have asked. It's not your job on the field to interpret rules for the coaches so they can decide who gets to play.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by akalsey
Doesn't the coach bear some responsibility here as well? If he knew the rule to begin with, he wouldn't have asked. It's not your job on the field to interpret rules for the coaches so they can decide who gets to play.
akalsey:
Kinda depends when & what coach asked, doesn't it?

DC: "Do I have any conferences left?"
PU: Sure, you get 2 per inning, you haven't used any."
DC: Crosses foul line going to mound. Conference. Leaves w/o replacing F1.
OffC: Wait a minute! He's used all his conferences, he has to pull that pitcher, or I'm protesting! [F1 has been blowin' it by them all game]
PU: after checking Lineup card & remembering this ain't an OBR game - "Oops!"

Not piling on tmp: but it IS part of our job to correctly interpret/inform participants on applicable rules when they ask.

That said: tmp, if this guy is a long-time friend of the family/ knows you from way back: is he likely to hold a one-time brain fart against you in a totally different sport? I mean, if he's a supervisor/evaluator for tall-people ball, he knows if you are prone to rules goofs in that sport [which maybe is your "main" sport?], right?

If he's a major jerk, he might hold it against you, but I'm guessing/ hoping that he'll make his decisions in BkB season based on your performance in that sport.

Forget trying to do anything more to "make up" for your already-admitted error. Anything further at this point makes you look like a desperate, fawning suck-up; which I would expect to be a bigger barrier to a college schedule than a brain fart while officiating a different sport.

[Edited by cbfoulds on Apr 12th, 2005 at 04:10 PM]
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

live and learn, tmp. live and learn.