The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 27, 2017, 07:23am
AremRed

Grizzlies-Suns 0.6 throw-in play to win game

mutantducky made a thread about this two years ago and it happened last night.

Important to note that this is a basket interference violation under NFHS rules, but the NBA rule has an exception. Here's the NBA rule:

Case Play 169

"A throw-in enters the area above the basket cylinder. If any player interferes with the ball, is it considered a violation?

No. Goaltending or basket interference has not occurred. For either of these violations to occur, a ball which is alive must enter the cylinder area after having been legally touched on the playing court. All players must consider this type of play as an ordinary throw-in and anyone may attempt to gain possession of the ball without penalty. (RULE 11 - SECTION I - f)"

Sounds like Suns interim coach Jay Triano has been reading the rulebook, in the ESPN article Jay mentions knowing the rule and asking the officials at summer clinics about the play to confirm his understanding.

Last edited by AremRed; Wed Dec 27, 2017 at 07:44am.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2017, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Should have been a team control foul (or whatever the equivalent in in the NBA).

And, a video request -- please do NOT set them to auto-replay.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2017, 09:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Clear, obvious push off.

The defender went from A to B and freed space for the dunk.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2017, 10:06am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And, a video request -- please do NOT set them to auto-replay.
Sorry man, Streamable doesn’t allow that option. And the embedding is a huge bitch in and of itself.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2017, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Clear, obvious push off.

The defender went from A to B and freed space for the dunk.
The lead has got to make the foul call in that situation.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2017, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Second play started both players started pushing and hand fighting/holding space with arms. I am ok with no call on the one who was stronger. If you call a foul here I am ok with that but it better be a when hand fighting starts not once someone gets something out of it.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Dec 27, 2017, 07:07pm
This IS My Social Life

A Bygone Era?

This precise play was repeated several times back in the late 60's and early 70's with the Knicks Cazzie Russell the player drawn up to dunk the half-court throw-in. Interesting now only for the fact that it's illegal in NFHS though OK for NBA. Haven't heard what NCAA-M or -W think of it.
BTW, who besides DeNucci would even remember back that far?
Old Wed Dec 27, 2017, 07:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The New York Knickerbockers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Knicks Cazzie Russell
Even though I'm a life long Celtics fan (Bill Russell is my favorite player), I had a sincere appreciation for the teamwork involved on those Knicks teams. A different star every night. Anybody remember Willis Reed coming out of the locker room with a torn thigh muscle before Game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers in Madison Square Garden?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Easy there Billy Mac

This thread has nothing to do with IAABO, your belt or your little corner of Connecticut and we all know there is no above the rim play at your CYO games where none of the moms are interested in your pocket size slide ruler.....
Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 06:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Goaltending ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
... above the rim play ...
Just a reminder to everybody. In NFHS rules, while it's true that you can have a basket interference violation on a throwin (offensive or defensive), you can't have goaltending (outside the cylinder), because one must have a try (no try on a throwin) to have goaltending (offensive or defensive) violation.

Goaltending is when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, outside the imaginary cylinder above the ring, and has the possibility of entering the basket.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 28, 2017 at 06:47am.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 06:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

With Apologies To Mae West ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
... the moms are interested in your pocket size slide ruler.
Is that a slide ruler in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Second play started both players started pushing and hand fighting/holding space with arms. I am ok with no call on the one who was stronger. If you call a foul here I am ok with that but it better be a when hand fighting starts not once someone gets something out of it.
Disagree (at least for NFHS / NCAA rules). Other than the automatics on the dribbler, a foul can be descried as "contact that causes an advantage." You can address the "hand fighting" and it should cause yo to be aware, but you can't call a foul until "someone gets something out of it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Interesting now only for the fact that it's illegal in NFHS though OK for NBA. Haven't heard what NCAA-M or -W think of it.
BI in NCAA
Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 06:38pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Definitive ruling on this play.....

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/u...12-26-2017.pdf

Final comment states:
"Chandler (PHX) legally touches the ball above the cylinder on the inbound pass. Goaltending rules do not apply because he
makes contact with the ball off of a throw-in and not a live ball that has already legally been touched on the playing court."

Obviously NBA ruleset differs from other levels.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2017, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

I just have to laugh a bit at players that get all fired up on plays where the illegal contact of some sort is the primary - and usually the only - reason for the execution of a play.

If Chandler had actually fronted and held his position or jumped up higher than the defender from behind w/o displacing him, and finishing that try, then I'd be likely to jump up and slap some high fives along with him.

Aside from that.....meh.....