The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 12, 2017, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

A scores in B's basket... A gets the ball out of bounds, correct?

Hello! Relatively inexperienced referee here...

I was coaching in a basketball tournament in Minnesota over the weekend (middle school), when one of my boys mistakenly took an inbounds pass and scored in the opponent's basket.

The officials (per them, two MN high school referees) stopped play to assist the scorers, and correctly awarded our opponents 2 points.

However, they also proceeded to award our opponent the ball out of bounds. I thought they were mistaken and asked for clarification. The officials proceeded to tell me that per the rules, because my team scored, the ball goes to the opponent for the subsequent throw-in. I asked if they were sure, which seemed to be the wrong thing to ask, and was told to 'look it up', and play proceeded.

I've subsequently been going through the NHFS rule and case books, and haven't yet been able to pin down who is awarded the throw-in. I'm sure it's there, but if anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Scott
Old Tue Dec 12, 2017, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Your team should have received the throw in -- the team not credited with the score makes the throw in (from anywhere along the end line).

Section 5.1.7 (older rules book on hand so maybe slightly different numbering)
Old Tue Dec 12, 2017, 04:34pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilner View Post
The officials proceeded to tell me that per the rules, because my team scored, the ball goes to the opponent for the subsequent throw-in. I asked if they were sure, which seemed to be the wrong thing to ask, and was told to 'look it up'...
Don't know if you want to prove that you looked it up like they told you to or would be in the position to show them what you found when you did, but Casebook 5.2.3 gives the answer to your question.

You were right.

They weren't.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2017, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

thanks!

Thanks to you both for your help... I appreciate it!

If I run into them again I might say something, but more than anything, I want to be sure I'm interpreting things correctly as I officiate.

sm