The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

A1 shoots a jumper and the shot goes in. A2 is in position to rebound a possible miss. B2 runs thru A2 after the shot was enroute to the basket. I was lead and called a push. Here is what we did: I reported the foul....count the basket. A's ball oob nearest the spot of the foul. Was this correct. I took a few to review this in the books and cant find the section. NF Please.

Larks
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 11:29am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
A1 shoots a jumper and the shot goes in. A2 is in position to rebound a possible miss. B2 runs thru A2 after the shot was enroute to the basket. I was lead and called a push. Here is what we did: I reported the foul....count the basket. A's ball oob nearest the spot of the foul. Was this correct. I took a few to review this in the books and cant find the section. NF Please.

Larks

You did it correctly and if Team A had been in the bonus, A2 would have gone to the line instead.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 12:14pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb slight addition

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Larks

You did it correctly and if Team A had been in the bonus, A2 would have gone to the line instead.
Mark T.,
Don't we want to count the basket before we do anything else when reporting a foul?
mick
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Mick I'm with you first count the basket then report foul and then administer the penalty. I'll admit it's nit picky but the devil is in the details.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

NF Reference?

Can anyone point me to the section in the NF rules that covers this sitch?
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Try 6-7 see the exceptions and then 7-4-6
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Larks
i am not saying what you did is incorrect, i just would like to add a bit.
from what you stated it seems that b2 excessively ran thru a2 and i agree that a foul should be called if it is excessive.

now to modify the situation, if b2 were to dislodge a2(not excessivley or violently) it would be good to the outcome of the play. if the basket were good, could you have passed on the foul? i would tend to say yes, it would be good to pass and say to yourself i need to be more alert of b2 on rebounding situations. just a thought.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
Quote:

Larks
from what you stated it seems that b2 excessively ran thru a2 and i agree that a foul should be called if it is excessive.

now to modify the situation, if b2 were to dislodge a2(not excessivley or violently) it would be good to the outcome of the play. if the basket were good, could you have passed on the foul? i would tend to say yes, it would be good to pass and say to yourself i need to be more alert of b2 on rebounding situations. just a thought.
Thats an interesting point. I wont say B2 was violent or perhaps even excessive...I saw a clear advantage gained however. I can see your point to swallow the fox 40 here but my thought is why give a free shot to the opposing team just because the shot went in. What if the shot missed and B2 got the board due to his advantage gained? I think I blew the whistle before the ball went in. It was right in front of me. I would appreciate more feedback here though....how many of you eat the whistle in this case?

Larks
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 10:49pm
Administrator

Re: slight addition

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Larks

Mark T.,
Don't we want to count the basket before we do anything else when reporting a foul?
mick

You are correct. I had a senior citizen moment.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 20, 2002, 10:57pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
Quote:

Larks

Whether or not the attempt was good has no bearing on whether B2 committed a foul or not. A2 had a legal position on the court when he was pushed out of the position by B2 and this action happened during a field goal try. Basketball does not have an advantage clause as in soccer. B2 committed a foul and the fact that the try was successful has no bearing on the play.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Larks
Quote:
Thats an interesting point. I wont say B2 was violent or perhaps even excessive...I saw a clear advantage gained however. I can see your point to swallow the fox 40 here but my thought is why give a free shot to the opposing team just because the shot went in. What if the shot missed and B2 got the board due to his advantage gained? I think I blew the whistle before the ball went in. It was right in front of me. I would appreciate more feedback here though....how many of you eat the whistle in this case?

Larks
if you consider him(b2) giving a cheap shot to a2 by all means call the foul(preventative officiating). but if it is just a player going through the usual motion of a dislodge you could easily pass on the dislodge.
if the shot is missed and b2 gets the rebound an obvious advantage has been gained and a foul should be call.
when a play like this occurs try to glance at the ball and see what is going on. if there is a shot being taken try to see what bearing the dislodge has on the play. fouls like these(on made basket) are not very obvious.

for myself, when i call a dislodge on a made basket i know that my concentration level is not where it should be. i need to have more court awareness when i make a call like this.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Was there an advantage gained by this? Advantage, Disadvantage. Referee the defense, think like the offence.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
Was there an advantage gained by this? Advantage, Disadvantage. Referee the defense, think like the offence.
Well, my thought was the advantage is that B2 pushed A2 out of the way so he could have a better position for a potential rebound. I understand having court awareness but what about area of coverage. If I'm lead and the ball is right in front of the trail, I'm concentrating on the lane / post play. Right?

Crew makes a compelling point though...I was probably the only person in the gym aware of this "foul" other than A2.

I play rec ball mostly forward or center (Insert Fat jokes Here JR). There is nothing more I hate than being in position and getting pushed out from behind right in front of the ref, especially getting a no-call.

I guess the real question is how is this called at the varsity and college level. If I'm gonna move up, are calls like this going to hurt me in the long run?

Larks
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 10:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:

I play rec ball mostly forward or center (Insert Fat jokes Here JR).
[/B]
Oh no,not me,ol'buddy.I heard that,as a player,you were 260# of dynamite.Couse I also heard that Mr. Dynamite had a 1/2 inch wick,too!:
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I play rec ball mostly forward or center (Insert Fat jokes Here JR).
Oh no,not me,ol'buddy.I heard that,as a player,you were 260# of dynamite.Couse I also heard that Mr. Dynamite had a 1/2 inch wick,too!: [/B]
Hey, can I lob the softballs or what? That 1/2 wick is lighning fast though...much like my spin move to the hole followed by a lay in (Fat guys cant dunk).