The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 14, 2017, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Duke v Mich State

Video Request:
6:02 remaining in the second half.

Jay Bilas stated that the official Lamont Simpson told him that it was "a live-ball, contact technical foul."

What???
Old Tue Nov 14, 2017, 09:11pm
In Time Out

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ow-thrown.html

If these could be merged?
Old Tue Nov 14, 2017, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

My opinion is a flagrant 2 (personal) foul.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2017, 10:34pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Video Request:
6:02 remaining in the second half.

Jay Bilas stated that the official Lamont Simpson told him that it was "a live-ball, contact technical foul."

What???
Yeah that’s not a thing. I also have a Flagrant 2 on the play.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 12:49am
Do not give a damn!!

I just saw the play, I am very confused. There is no such foul? This is either a Flagrant Foul (1 or 2) or nothing. The ball was clearly live and you cannot give the ball at the division line for this kind of T. I think the officials out talked themselves on this one.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 01:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Video of the play

Here is the play.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

It looked to me like he was trying to slap away the arm of the MSU player that was holding onto him, not slinging an elbow. The elbow making contact was "incidental" to that (and I don't mean to say this was incidental contact).

I could go with an F1, but I do not believe there was an intent to harm here.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 04:30am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It looked to me like he was trying to slap away the arm of the MSU player that was holding onto him, not slinging an elbow. The elbow making contact was "incidental" to that (and I don't mean to say this was incidental contact).

I could go with an F1, but I do not believe there was an intent to harm here.
I can see what you're saying, but he still hit the guy in the face with his elbow. I think he got off easy. I think that level of recklessness should be treated similarly to if he'd blatantly elbowed him in the face.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Meh. It’s not like he wound up and slammed him. Did you see that little, “oops, crap I hit his head” look on his face? F1.

Wrong guy shot FTs, ball was inbounded 47 feet from where it should have been, and now the offender is only one vice two Ts from ejection. It’s really bad to kick a rule at this level; it’s even worse to make up a new type of foul on the fly. That was a big oops. Shouldn’t have happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 09:18am
Courageous When Prudent

I have an F1. He didn't size up or target the opponent, and he didn't "throw" an elbow. He was attempting to swat away the hand the was pulling on his jersey; he didn't even know where the opponents face was. No way in hell that warrants an ejection.

I am extremely bothered that the adjudication was botched.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 09:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerUmp View Post
I can see what you're saying, but he still hit the guy in the face with his elbow. I think he got off easy. I think that level of recklessness should be treated similarly to if he'd blatantly elbowed him in the face.
It wasn't even reckless. Players swat away opponents' hands all the time. It wasn't even a demonstrative movement. Treating those 2 acts the same would be detrimental to a basketball official's career.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 09:27am
Stubborn Member

I'd have a hard time ejecting a player for what is clearly an accidental elbow. From what I see Carter was simply trying to slap away the defenders arm, as the defender grabbed his jersey.

Going strictly by the rules, this may indeed be a FF2... which includes ejection. But a FF1 would suffice. What doesn't work at all is making something up.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 12:14pm
Esteemed Participant

Does the jersey grab (an Int foul in NFHS) also count as an FF1 in NCAA?? If so, why not double foul call here?
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Does the jersey grab (an Int foul in NFHS) also count as an FF1 in NCAA?? If so, why not double foul call here?
A jersey grab isn't automatically an intentional foul in NFHS. Usually it's a common foul for holding. It, along with any other type of contact foul, is intentional in NFHS if it meets the parameters of such.

As to the subject of whether you could call a double personal foul here....sure, you could. But, I'd probably be passing on the marginal jersey hold and then get surprised by the elbow. I'd be reluctant, at that point, to re-evaluate the hold as something more than marginal just because of how the other guy reacted. I want to get the big foul here.

If the two fouls were a little more bang-bang, then maybe DPF makes sense. Otherwise I'm probably not calling it that way. I like to save my DPFs for those few times in a season where they really stand out as a good use of a tool. This wouldn't be one of those times, IMHO.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 02:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
A jersey grab isn't automatically an intentional foul in NFHS. Usually it's a common foul for holding. It, along with any other type of contact foul, is intentional in NFHS if it meets the parameters of such.

As to the subject of whether you could call a double personal foul here....sure, you could. But, I'd probably be passing on the marginal jersey hold and then get surprised by the elbow. I'd be reluctant, at that point, to re-evaluate the hold as something more than marginal just because of how the other guy reacted. I want to get the big foul here.

If the two fouls were a little more bang-bang, then maybe DPF makes sense. Otherwise I'm probably not calling it that way. I like to save my DPFs for those few times in a season where they really stand out as a good use of a tool. This wouldn't be one of those times, IMHO.
#1) This plays illustrates why the Trail should never leave opponents unmonitored in the backcourt.

#2) This is why you don't pass on players intentionally pulling the jersey of an opponent.