The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 08:09pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Could someone explain what rule was invoked to disallow the basket. I did not see anyone making a visible count.

How would this be handled under Fed rules?

Thanks
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Replay.

Although I didn't see anyone look at the monitor.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

i didn't think that would be correctable error??

UNC had the same thing happen to them at the end of the UNC/Duke game at Duke where the clock kept ticking when the ball went out of bounds, and with 1 minute 30ish seconds left, the clock actually jumped, and yes, i do have the game tape to show those who don't believe me

with that said, how can the points be wiped away based on a clock management situation? i didn't think that was allowed?

please enlighten me
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 08:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by TubbyRules
It is not a correctable error, but that has nothing to do with this situation. Timing errors can be reviewed on TV games. This was reviewed and points were taken away.

Quote:
UNC had the same thing happen to them at the end of the UNC/Duke game at Duke where the clock kept ticking when the ball went out of bounds, and with 1 minute 30ish seconds left, the clock actually jumped, and yes, i do have the game tape to show those who don't believe me

with that said, how can the points be wiped away based on a clock management situation? i didn't think that was allowed?

please enlighten me
Whether you have tape or not is not an issue here. Time can be adjusted if the video tape has evidence there was a mistake with the clock and points can be changed if the time would have affected the points. It has nothing to do with being a correctable error.

Peace

Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
It is not a correctable error, but that has nothing to do with this situation. Timing errors can be reviewed on TV games. This was reviewed and points were taken away.
Jeff's right, it's not a Correctable Error, but it could be a Fixable Mistake. What I mean is that Correctable Errors are specific errors that have a prescribed method of being corrected. Just because something doesn't fall under the Correctable Error rule (2.10 in Fed) doesn't mean it isn't fixable.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 08:57pm
Administrator

I would like to thank cmkenna from the following thread: http://www.officialforum.com/thread/19349.

NCAA Men's/Women's Rule 2:

Section 5. Officials Use of Replay/Television Equipment.
Art. 1. Officials may use courtside replay equipment, videotape or television monitoring only in situations involving:
a. A determination if a fight occurred and the individuals who participated
or left the bench area;
b. A determination as to who shall attempt a free
throw(s) when there is uncertainty.
c. An assessment whether correctable errors
2-10.1.c, d, or e need to be rectified;
d. Preventing or rectifying a scoring or timing mistake by the scorer or timer involving the game clock or shot clock;
e. A determination if the game clock or shot clock expired at or near the end of a period (see Rule 2-5.2); or
f. Correcting a timing mistake in the half or extra period in which it occurred due to a malfunctioning game clock or shot clock.

Art. 2. At the end of either half or at the end of any extra period, the officials after making a call on the playing court shall use replay equipment, videotape or television monitoring that is located on a designated courtside table (i.e., within approximately 3 to 12 feet of the playing court), when such equipment is available, to:
a. Determine whether a try for field goal at or near the expiration of time in the first half was released before the reading of 0.00 on the game clock (refer to 5-7.2.b);
b. Ascertain whether a try for field goal that will determine the outcome of a game (win, lose, tie), and was attempted at or near the expiration of the game clock, was released before the reading of 0.00 on the game clock (refer to 5-7.2.b);
c. Determine, with the reading of 0.00 on the game clock, whether a shot-clock violation occurred at or near the expiration of time in the first half;
d. Ascertain, with the reading of 0.00 on the game clock, whether a shot-clock violation occurred at or near the expiration of time when it may determine the outcome of the game (win, lose or tie).

Art. 3. A courtside television monitor may be used when, in the judgment of an official, a timerÂ’s mistake has occurred. Such a mistake may be corrected only during the first dead ball after the game clock should have been
started or stopped or once the ball is in play before the second live ball when the game clock should have been running and while the ball is dead.

Art. 4. No timing mistake correction shall be carried over from one half or extra period to another. Such a mistake shall be corrected before the start of intermission.

Art. 5. When, in the judgment of an official, the shot-clock operator fails to properly start, stop, set or reset the shot clock, the officials shall be permitted to use the courtside television monitor to correct the mistake in the shot-clock period in which it occurred.

Art. 6. Officials shall be permitted to consult a courtside monitor when there is uncertainty as to who shall be awarded a free throw(s).

Art. 7. Officials shall be permitted to consult a courtside monitor to determine if a try for goal is a two- or three-point attempt, regardless of whether the try is successful.

Art. 8. Officials shall not use a courtside monitor or courtside videotape for judgment calls such as who fouled, basket interference, goaltending or release of the ball before the activation of the red light or LED lights, (or when the red light is not present, the sounding of the
game-clock horn); or the sounding of the shot-clock horn, with the exception of the situations described in Rules 2-5.1.e, 2-5.2, and 2-5.3. However, in accordance with Rule 2-5.1.c and 2-10.1.e.

Furthermore, in the above mentioned thread I stated that the officials handled the situation correctly. For all of those officials who think that this is should have been a do over, the game officials handled the situation correctly.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It's not a correctable error. Correcatble errors are specific situations that must be corrected within a specific time frame.

This is a timing error. The offiicals can look at the clock and determine how much time should have ticked off the clock.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

It's not a correctable error. Correcatble errors are specific situations that must be corrected within a specific time frame.

This is a timing error. The offiicals can look at the clock and determine how much time should have ticked off the clock.
Ha!!

I beat you by 20 minutes!