Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 31, 2017, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
You're calling a tech at 1:57 for real?

Obviously these are in a vacuum but I am likely to have techs at 0:36, 1:09, 1:21, 1:29, 1:34.

2:00 sounds like he was about to get into tech territory for me, should have let the coach talk a little longer and hang himself.

There are some hilarious ones in there.
@ 1:57 the coach says "you're givin them, etc". To me it insinuates cheating. In a game I may not have T'd him but would have been addressed!

@ 2:15 I wouldn't have T'd him for his comment. As I said, he mentioned getting T'd earlier which means he should be sitting.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2017, 11:03am
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile

Coach (screaming): "How come we have 8 fouls and they only have 2?"
Me: "Because your team fouls too much - DUH."
Old Tue Oct 31, 2017, 11:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

Amen.

"Respond to questions, not statements" is another example of overused camp speak that in reality is not going to be successful for most people as a universal guideline.
College supervisor just told us how silly that stance is now about not addressing statements a few weeks ago. I just think if you do not address them, things will get worse in their behavior. Yes, you should not comment every time they speak, but you certainly cannot ignore constant statements when you are in front of them. I would never say you have to even have a long conversation, but you might need to address bad behavior when warranted.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 31, 2017, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
College supervisor just told us how silly that stance is now about not addressing statements a few weeks ago. I just think if you do not address them, things will get worse in their behavior. Yes, you should not comment every time they speak, but you certainly cannot ignore constant statements when you are in front of them. I would never say you have to even have a long conversation, but you might need to address bad behavior when warranted.

Peace
It might work at lower levels with less experienced officials and clueless coaches, but once you get to varsity basketball ignoring every statement is going to invite more trouble.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2017, 04:02pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Yes, you should not comment every time they speak, but you certainly cannot ignore constant statements when you are in front of them.
One thing that has worked for me in that type of situation, rather than trying to give "answers" to a bunch of statements, is to ask, "Coach, do you have a question for me?". Sometimes that re-directs them just enough so they focus on one thing and you can answer and move on.

Sometimes you just get a sarcastic jerk who will say, "Yeah, when are you gonna stop making bad calls"? And then you have to decide how to handle him/her.

But that question has worked for me in the past.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2017, 04:04pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron
More accurately worded... "Gotta be holding the ball [to travel]", not just have possession. There is one exception, but this isn't it.
Are you really telling a coach all of that? Why?

Peace
I think Camron is only going to say the part actually in the quotation marks. "Gotta be holding the ball, Coach". That explains why you didn't call the travel.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2017, 04:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Like, Or Like Like ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
"Coach, do you have a question for me."
Where's the "Like" button on this Forum?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 31, 2017, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I think he meant he would only tell the coach the part that was in quotes, i.e. "Gotta be holding the ball [to travel]"
Precisely.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2017, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I like the play from 0:57 to 1:04. "You're too far away to even see it." Says the coach who was 40 feet further away than the trail!
Old Thu Nov 02, 2017, 02:20pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Does anyone mind the jacket toss at 0:11?
Old Thu Nov 02, 2017, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

tossing that jacket in disdain

I re-played that jacket toss about 3 times in order to see if there were non-verbal cues and if an official was within the sight-line of the jacket toss. I know some NCAA-level refs who immediately "T" up a coach for that action; however, as an NF level official I concluded that the suit jacket toss "action" was not especially acerbic nor dramatic, but simply indicative of either disdain for his player's performance or an official's call. If I were officiating that game, I'd err towards not penalizing the "suit jacket toss" as again it did not appear to be terribly dramatic.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2017, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Without more context I find myself going through the whole video and not seeing a single one of those clips that in and of themselves were T-worthy for me. And I'm not one to shy away from T-ing up a coach. There's certainly some acidic comments, but it all depends on what had happened leading up to those moments for me to say I'd T on the basis of those comments alone. Not compelling enough for me.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2017, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed. That wasn't too dramatic. No need to hunt for T's, they'll call themselves.
Old Thu Nov 02, 2017, 05:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
I would have gone over, picked up the jacket, given it to the scorer and told him to hold onto it for me until the end of the game. If the coach then came over to me and asked me what I thought I was doing, I would have said that since he didn't want it anymore, I was going to sell it on eBay.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 11:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
I probably would not have noticed and if I did I would have done nothing. Why would that even raise any eyebrows? Very tame compared to most of the stuff on here.

Peace