The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Confusion over when A2 can recover throw-in in back court

I'm watching the rules video sent out this week. Coming back to basketball after 15 years off...

In the Team Control Throw In part, this is confusing me.

A1 throws in, B1 deflects it in the front court, and ball goes into the back court. A2 jumps from front court, Grabs ball lands in back court, back court violation.

A1 throw in, A2 fumbles the throwin in the front court, and it goes into the back court, where he recovers it. Legal.

Why can A2 fumble the throw in in the front court and recover in the back court, but if B1 deflects it, he can't recover in the back court?

The video says they'll most likely review it next season, and the first scenario was discussed a lot. But this does not make much sense.

Last edited by udbrky; Wed Oct 25, 2017 at 03:13am.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by udbrky View Post
I'm watching the rules video sent out this week. Coming back to basketball after 15 years off...

In the Team Control Throw In part, this is confusing me.

A1 throws in, B1 deflects it in the front court, and ball goes into the back court. A2 Grabs ball, back court violation.

A1 throw in, A2 fumbles the throwin in the front court, and it goes into the back court, where he recovers it. Legal.

Why can A2 fumble the throw in in the front court and recover in the back court, but if B1 deflects it, he can't recover in the back court?

The video says they'll most likely review it next season, and the first scenario was discussed a lot. But this does not make much sense.
The first one is wrong unless A2 was in the air when catching the ball and then lands in the backcourt. The throw-in exception for establishing control ends when B1 deflects the ball.

The restrictions on returning the the backcourt only begin once a player inbounds is holding or dribbling the ball. There are exceptions that excuse the first contact after a throwin or a defensive player stealing the ball.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Yes, my bad, I did forget that they were in the air in 1 - editing

Oh, so now I get it, if A2 is in the back court and then touches it, he's ok?
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by udbrky View Post
Yes, my bad, I did forget that they were in the air in 1 - editing

Oh, so now I get it, if A2 is in the back court and then touches it, he's ok?
Correct because this was the first time that PC was established inbounds.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

An easy way to think about this is to consider possession and control. In situation one, he is considered in the front court until he lands in the back court. Therefore, he technically controlled and possessed the ball in the front court even though he landed in the back court (and may have been in the air in the backcourt when he actually caught the ball).

In situation 2, no team controlled the ball in the front court due to the tipped ball so no possession i.e. no backcourt violation. You must have possession in the front court in order for a backcourt violation to come into play.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
In situation 2, no team controlled the ball in the front court due to the tipped ball so no possession i.e. no backcourt violation. You must have possession in the front court in order for a backcourt violation to come into play.
Not necessarily. You only need initial player control inbounds. Whether that initial player control is in the frontcourt or backcourt doesn’t matter. If an A player gains control in A’s backcourt, throws to the frontcourt where it deflects of an A player (i.e. is never controlled) and returns to the backcourt where A is the first to touch, that is a violation even though there was never player control in the frontcourt.

Once that initial player control is established after a throw-in, jump ball, or try for goal, team control in the frontcourt is what is required.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Not necessarily. You only need initial player control inbounds. Whether that initial player control is in the frontcourt or backcourt doesn’t matter. If an A player gains control in A’s backcourt, throws to the frontcourt where it deflects of an A player (i.e. is never controlled) and returns to the backcourt where A is the first to touch, that is a violation even though there was never player control in the frontcourt.

Once that initial player control is established after a throw-in, jump ball, or try for goal, team control in the frontcourt is what is required.
I guess I was only thinking in terms of his situation. I'd be lying if I have ever seen your situation happen or even thought about that happening but it's good information. Thanks for the correction.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you, I was trying to figure out what I was missing and why it did not make sense.