The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Confusion on Backcourt

I'm having a hard time understanding some of the Backcourt Violation examples.
-Ball bounces in backcourt, A1 jumps from frontcourt grabs the ball in the air and throws it back to the front court. Violation?
-Team A throw-in, A1 jumps from front court grabs the ball in the air then lands in the backcourt. Violation?

Is there a way to understand some of the weird backcourt violations that can happen or what looks to be a backcourt violation but is not?

Thanks
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Remember the three keys: first to touch, last to touch, team control.

Those are the three things you need to ask yourself in order to determine backcourt.

Who was the first to touch the ball once it was in the back court?

Was it the last team to touch it in their frontcourt?

If so, did they have team control in the frontcourt?

If so, you have a backcourt violation.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Step 1: Learn the 4 necessary conditions of a BC violation.
1. Ball has frontcourt status.
2. Team A has control.
3. Team A is last to touch in FC.
4. Team A is first to touch in BC.

Step 2: remember the exception for throw-ins.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Step 1: Learn the 4 necessary conditions of a BC violation.
1. Ball has frontcourt status.
2. Team A has control.
3. Team A is last to touch in FC.
4. Team A is first to touch in BC.

Step 2: remember the exception for throw-ins.

Careful. While that describes a subset of backcourt violations, it is not exactly right. It dosn't cover at least one possible group of backcourt violations...and the order is probably best thought of differently...
  1. Team control
  2. Ball has FC status
  3. A was last to touch before the ball returned to the backcourt
  4. A was the first to touch the ball after the ball returned to the backcourt
The difference in 1 and 2 is semantics but the difference in 3 and 4 is materially important as it doesn't matter where A touched the ball but only WHEN A touched the ball relative to it transitioning form FC to BC status.

In 3, A's last touch could be in the backcourt with the ball subsequently bouncing in the FC before returning to the backcourt. And in 4, A's first touch after having the ball go into the backcourt could still be in the frontcourt.

As an examle, imagine A1 getting trapped at the division line in the frontocurt. A1 throws a bounce pass to A2 who is in the FC also near the division line such that the bounce occurs in the backcourt. Neither A1 nor A2 ever touched the ball in the backcourt nor touched the backcourt yet it is a violation when A2 touches the ball.

You could flip the play around such that both players were in the backcourt with the bounce pass touching in the frontcourt. The result is the same....a violation.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2010, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Neither of these is a BC violation.
In the first, the player was still considered in the front court since he alighted from the front court when the ball was thrown.
In the second, no team control exists, so there can be no backcourt violation.

I once had a partner who called a a BC violation on a throw in- The thrower passed the ball at mid-court and a player jumped from frontcourt, caught the ball and landed in the backcourt. Since team control did not exist when he jumped, it was legal to catch the ball then land in BC. (In this case I blew my whistle, conferred, and gave the ball back to that team fo a throw in - a do-over.There is nothing in the rule book to to support this, but it is the right thing to do. Comments?
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Neither of these is a BC violation.
In the first, the player was still considered in the front court since he alighted from the front court when the ball was thrown.
Yes, but the ball bounced in the BC. This play is a violation.

Quote:
In the second, no team control exists, so there can be no backcourt violation.
Right ruling (no violation), wrong reason. TC exists as soon as A1 caught the ball. All the conditions of a BC violation are met, and this would be a violation except for the exception in the rules.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 01:52am
In Time Out

should lead ever call a BC violation? I had one today where I clearly saw it go off A1(offense) players leg in the FC in a scramble and then A1 touched it first in the backcourt. A few players involved so the trail probably didn't see it and nobody called for backcourt(mainly because most players/c's don't know the rule. I passed on calling it. I assume in three person the center calling it would be ok in most cases.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Yes, the lead may call BC violations. In three-person, the C may call BC violations. However, the situations where it's okay for L or C to do so are pretty limited and usually occur during transition when they are the closest official to the mid court line. But don't be "that guy" who blows his whistle from L on the baseline to call a BC in a half-court set when the T is right on top of it.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes, but the ball bounced in the BC. This play is a violation.

Right ruling (no violation), wrong reason. TC exists as soon as A1 caught the ball. All the conditions of a BC violation are met, and this would be a violation except for the exception in the rules.

i was in the stands watching a GJV game last night, and had a BC/TC status question on this sitch:
:08 sec.to go in 1st half. Clock is stopped Team A has an end line throw in from under B's basket...all the remaining players from both teams are in A's FC.
A1 throws the ball in by rolling onto the court. As it gets close to the division line A2 runs up to the ball, straddles the division line (right foot in BC, left foot in FC), and stops the ball from rolling with her hand. Ball is still in BC on the floor and her hand is on top it, and she's still straddling the line.
My questions on the highlighted section:
1) Has A2 established TC?

2) If A2 has established TC, is it a BC violation?

3) If #2 is not a BC violation, when A2 picked up the ball (while still straddling the line) am I correct in assuming that if A2 lifted her right foot (the BC foot) first and brought that down in the FC..no BC violation? If A2 lifted her left foot (FC foot) and brought that down in the BC...BC violation?

4) Is it BC if from the "pinned to the floor position", while still straddling the division line, A2 rolled the ball back to A1 in the BC?

#4 is what actually happened in the game, refs let play continue. Not being critical of the refs here, like CDurham, I'm still having difficulty throughly understanding BC violations...bit have found all the replies to the OP helpful. Good question CD....it started, IMO, a good thread for us newbies.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 10:33am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjump View Post
i was in the stands watching a gjv game last night, and had a bc/tc status question on this sitch:
:08 sec.to go in 1st half. Clock is stopped team a has an end line throw in from under b's basket...all the remaining players from both teams are in a's fc.
A1 throws the ball in by rolling onto the court. As it gets close to the division line a2 runs up to the ball, straddles the division line (right foot in bc, left foot in fc), and stops the ball from rolling with her hand. ball is still in bc on the floor and her hand is on top it, and she's still straddling the line.
my questions on the highlighted section:
1) has a2 established tc?

i'd have to see it, but i'd say no.

2) if a2 has established tc, is it a bc violation?

no. One way or the other, ball never left bc.

3) if #2 is not a bc violation, when a2 picked up the ball (while still straddling the line) am i correct in assuming that if a2 lifted her right foot (the bc foot) first and brought that down in the fc..no bc violation? If a2 lifted her left foot (fc foot) and brought that down in the bc...bc violation?

as long as a2, is straddling the line she has bc status. Neither of these is a violation.

4) is it bc if from the "pinned to the floor position", while still straddling the division line, a2 rolled the ball back to a1 in the bc?

no. Ball never achieved fc status.

#4 is what actually happened in the game, refs let play continue. Not being critical of the refs here, like cdurham, i'm still having difficulty throughly understanding bc violations...bit have found all the replies to the op helpful. Good question cd....it started, imo, a good thread for us newbies.
ok?

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Sat Jan 16, 2010 at 10:37am.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

New situation.
Discussion came up in a game today.

A1 dribbles to mid line, with one foot in front court, one in back and ball dribbles in front court. HE stops dribble. And pivots back over mid line to bring both feet together. BC?

What if A1 stops the dribble before mid court line. He pivots over teh line (foot, ball, head, shoulder), and the back. BC?
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 03:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Remember, in situations like this, the ball and both feet must be in the front court and then something must go to the back court to make the back court call.

One foot and the ball in the front court, just the ball, both feet and not the ball - all not good enough. All three must be in the front court.

Now, can you answer your own question(s)?
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbbcoach99 View Post
New situation.
Discussion came up in a game today.

A1 dribbles to mid line, with one foot in front court, one in back and ball dribbles in front court. HE stops dribble. And pivots back over mid line to bring both feet together. BC?

What if A1 stops the dribble before mid court line. He pivots over teh line (foot, ball, head, shoulder), and the back. BC?
In the first situation, it would not be a violation. Three points in the front court are required for a player dribbling the ball to have front court status. Since only two points crossed, the player still had backcourt status. After the dribble has ended, if the player used the foot in the backcourt as the pivot foot, then no violation.

In the second situation, A1 still has a backcourt status.

4-35 Player location will help clear this up.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

This one's bee bugging me

Is the halfcourt line one or two-dimensional? By that I mean, is it an inch wide strip of court that is in the backcourt for both teams? If A1 has control of the ball and frontcourt status and barely steps onto the halfcourt line, obviously in front of an imaginary one-dimensional line running down the middle of the painted line, is it a violation? I can't imagine it's one-dimensional, unless maybe on one of those tiny courts with multiple halfcourt lines, but maybe...
Old Sat Jan 16, 2010, 05:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupneff View Post
Is the halfcourt line one or two-dimensional? By that I mean, is it an inch wide strip of court that is in the backcourt for both teams? If A1 has control of the ball and frontcourt status and barely steps onto the halfcourt line, obviously in front of an imaginary one-dimensional line running down the middle of the painted line, is it a violation? I can't imagine it's one-dimensional, unless maybe on one of those tiny courts with multiple halfcourt lines, but maybe...
The full division line is in the backcourt of the team with the ball.