The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 24, 2017, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

More NCAA-M Questions

-Every offensive frontcourt throw-in is from either 28-foot line or from 3 feet outside either side of the lane except when the defense deflects the ball out of bounds. Correct?

What if Team A has control in Team B's backcourt, steps out of bounds, and Team B is to put the ball in play in its frontcourt? Is the throw-in from the OOB spot or one of the four designated spots?

-(not a question about a new rule) B1 defending thrower-in A1 violates the boundary plane. This is not one of the warning situations in Rule 4-10. Rule 9-4.3 says “The opponents of the thrower-in shall not have any part of their person beyond the vertical inside plane of any boundary line before the ball has crossed that boundary line. Repeated infractions shall result in a CLASS B technical foul.”

Does "repeated infractions" refer to any team member, or just B1? Is it incorrect to record a warning for this in the book?
Old Tue Oct 24, 2017, 10:13am
Courageous When Prudent

All OOB's violation are taken out at the spot of the violation.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2017, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

It would be helpful if I actually read Rule 9.

“PENALTY (Section 2-12):
The ball shall become dead or remain dead when a violation occurs. When the ball passes through a basket during the dead ball period immediately after a violation, no point(s) can be scored. The ball shall be awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at a designated spot nearest to where the violation occurred.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2017, 10:55am
Do not give a damn!!

It is only at the 4 spots when the foul is an FC foul by the defense.

We did have some question at the staff meeting I went to on Sunday if a BC foul would that would be like a TC foul would be put at one of the 4 spots, but that is not this situation.

I think some issues were not made very clear at this point.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 24, 2017, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is only at the 4 spots when the foul is an FC foul by the defense.

We did have some question at the staff meeting I went to on Sunday if a BC foul would that would be like a TC foul would be put at one of the 4 spots, but that is not this situation.

I think some issues were not made very clear at this point.

Peace
A team control foul where the offended team is resuming play in its FC would cause the throw-in to be at one of the four spots.

Rule 7-3.2(a): “When the ball is in team control in the front court and any of the situations in Article 1 above occur and the offensive team will resume play with a throw-in, the designated spot for the throw-in will be either the nearest 28-foot mark or the nearest spot 3-feet outside the lane line on the end line. (Exception: When the penalty for the infraction specifically requires a different location for the throw-in as in Rule 10-1. Penalty .f and .g.)”

Rule 7-3.1: “The ball shall be awarded out of bounds after: (f) A team control foul."

And a kicked/fisted ball by the defense in the FC would also put it the throw-in at one of the four sports. I am now confident that the only situation where the offense would put the ball in play in its FC at the spot nearest the violation is when the defense commits an OOB violation.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Shot clock question

Any word on what to do in the front court when A1 shoots a three and then B5 holds A5 in the paint. Shot goes in. Team A's ball and shot clock is reset to 30 or 20?
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 08:18am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefaceref View Post
Any word on what to do in the front court when A1 shoots a three and then B5 holds A5 in the paint. Shot goes in. Team A's ball and shot clock is reset to 30 or 20?
Shot clock reset to 30 due to a shot being taken by Team A.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rule 2, Section 11, Art. 6. Stop the timing device and reset it to 30 seconds:
of the ball, as in loose ball situations.

b. When any of the following occurs:
1. A single personal foul;
2. A single technical foul assessed to the defensive team;
3. A double personal foul when only one of the fouls is a flagrant foul.
(Exception: When a personal or technical foul or kicking/fisting violation is
committed by the defense and the ball is to be inbounded by the offense
in the front court, the shot-clock will be reset to 20 seconds or the time
remaining on the shot clock, whichever is greater
.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefaceref View Post
This scenario was sent to Art Hyland and there has been no clarification that I know of yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Shot clock reset to 30 due to a shot being taken by Team A.
Respectfully, I was in the same boat as you initially. It made sense, a try for goal (whether made or not) strikes the rim will automatically re-set the shot clock to 30-seconds.

But it states:
Quote:
Sec 11, Art 6, d. When a try for goal strikes the ring or flange and then control is gained by either team;
When the try for goal is in flight, there is no team control. Since no control is gained by either team when the foul is called during a try for goal by Team A, reset the shot clock to 20-seconds if there is an offball foul on Team B.

JMO. Please discuss if there are other views.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 09:27am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
When the try for goal is in flight, there is no team control. Since no control is gained by either team when the foul is called during a try for goal by Team A, reset the shot clock to 20-seconds if there is an offball foul on Team B.

How could there not be a full reset after a successful try? That makes no sense at all. Once the try strikes the rim or enters the basket, we have a full reset regardless of who gets control.

By that reasoning, a rebounding foul by the defensive team would never get a full reset, and I don't think that can be the intent of the rule.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 09:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
This scenario was sent to Art Hyland and there has been no clarification that I know of yet.

Respectfully, I was in the same boat as you initially. It made sense, a try for goal (whether made or not) strikes the rim will automatically re-set the shot clock to 30-seconds.

But it states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
How could there not be a full reset after a successful try? That makes no sense at all. Once the try strikes the rim or enters the basket, we have a full reset regardless of who gets control.

By that reasoning, a rebounding foul by the defensive team would never get a full reset, and I don't think that can be the intent of the rule.
So is the logic also that a try that's gets lodged and Team A retains possession via AP would also only reset to 20?
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 09:56am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
So is the logic also that a try that's gets lodged and Team A retains possession via AP would also only reset to 20?
Any time a try hits the ring or is successful, the shot clock resets to 30. That's the WHOLE point of a shot clock. Once you take a shot that hits the ring, it resets. I can't imagine the rationale for not having a reset when the offense has done exactly what you've asked them to do.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Any time a try hits the ring or is successful, the shot clock resets to 30. That's the WHOLE point of a shot clock. Once you take a shot that hits the ring, it resets. I can't imagine the rationale for not having a reset when the offense has done exactly what you've asked them to do.
The other point is that when a team retains control of the ball in the frontcourt after a foul, they don't need the extra 10 seconds on the shot clock. They're not bringing the ball up from the backcourt. They only need 20 to get to a shot. I don't know which is the right answer here but I can see arguments for both possibilities. You could even argue that since they actually scored points, 20 is more appropriate. That logic, however, would make the reset depend not on the ball hitting the rim but on the make and I'm pretty sure that isn't it.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Believe me, I have struggled with this rule and the Pandora's Box of problem scenarios that ensued.

By rule, if the defensive team commits a non-shooting foul in the front court with less than 20 seconds on the shot clock (and not in the bonus), then the shotclock is placed at 20 seconds. There is no ambiguity to that rule.

Quote:
In this case, it is not a violation by the defense therefore a full reset to 30 seconds is in order if Team A has the AP arrow.

Last edited by dahoopref; Thu Oct 26, 2017 at 11:20am.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 01:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Believe me, I have struggled with this rule and the Pandora's Box of problem scenarios that ensued.

By rule, if the defensive team commits a non-shooting foul in the front court with less than 20 seconds on the shot clock (and not in the bonus), then the shotclock is placed at 20 seconds. There is no ambiguity to that rule.

My logic on this play is that the ball is not dead until the try ends. So the foul is enforced when there is no time on the shot clock.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My logic on this play is that the ball is not dead until the try ends. So the foul is enforced when there is no time on the shot clock.
I agree with you with that part whole-heartedly.

By the rulebook definition, the shot clock is reset to 30-seconds "When a try for goal strikes the ring or flange and then control is gained by either team"

There is no "team control" nor is the ball gained while the ball is in flight in the scenario of the off-ball foul by Team B. IOW, if the ball hits the ring and then a foul on Team B occurs, then I agree with you; reset to 30 seconds.

In the original question by the OP, there is no team control while the ball is in flight when a foul on Team B occurs before it hits the ring and the ball is not gained by either team.

This scenario happened at a scrimmage of mine on Saturday and the whole crew had a great post-game discussion about this play; broke out the rulebook and everything. I was in the camp with you with the same line of thinking. After much discussion, the crew was able to change my thoughts on this play. Maybe you (and others on this board) can re-convince me.

I really hope Art Hyland clarifies these types of situations soon.