The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I am plunging into the NCAA rules at this point and I would like some help. I found the NCAA Refresher Test on the internet as well as the answers. Some of these answers seem suspect to me. I will give you some of the questions that either I don't understand or that I thought the answer key seemed wrong. Please help. Keep in mind I have been using FIBA rules, so a lot of this is new for me.

Here goes:

1. During A-1's interrupted dribble in the frontcourt, the officials call a three-second violation.

I thought the answer was no, but my key says yes.

2. While A1's try is in flight, a double technical foul is assessed. The try is successful. The official awards no free throws and puts the ball in play at the point of interruption.

I thought yes, key says no.

3. The trail official bounces the ball to A1 for a throw-in. Before A1 catches the ball, B2 fouls A2. The official rules this a personal foul.

Key says yes, I thought the ball only became live when it was at the disposal of the thrower.

4. A1 rebounds the ball and then throws the ball out in front of him. After the ball hits the floor, A1 catches the ball and dribbles. The official rules this a legal play.

Key says yes. Isn't this a double dribble if he catches it and dribbles again?

5. A1 and A2 foul B1 at approximately the same time and the official rules this a multiple foul. The official awards B1 one free throw for each foul and plays off the make or miss as with any normal free throw.

key says yes, I have no clue why?

PS, in NCAA, does a game HAVE to begin with a jump ball? In FIBA it does.

Thanks, Jay.

Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

does yes, mean correct and no mean false, because you are yessing and nooing statements not questions.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
1. During A-1's interrupted dribble in the frontcourt, the officials call a three-second violation.

I thought the answer was no, but my key says yes.
This is a rule change this year in either Fed or NCAA. But whoever changed it, the rule is now the same for both. The 3-second count continues during an interrupted dribble b/c team control has not ended. So you have a player in the lane for 3 seconds while his/her team has continuous control. This mirrors the philosophy of continuing the 10-second backcourt count, even during an interrupted dribble. Violation.

Quote:
2. While A1's try is in flight, a double technical foul is assessed. The try is successful. The official awards no free throws and puts the ball in play at the point of interruption.

I thought yes, key says no.
At the time the whistle blew (shot in the air), there is no team control. Therefore, despite the fact that the basket was good, you must resume by using the AP procedure.

Quote:
3. The trail official bounces the ball to A1 for a throw-in. Before A1 catches the ball, B2 fouls A2. The official rules this a personal foul.

Key says yes, I thought the ball only became live when it was at the disposal of the thrower.

I'm with you on this one. I don't think it's a personal foul. I'm not sure why the answer is yes. Is there a rule citation on the answer key?

Quote:
4. A1 rebounds the ball and then throws the ball out in front of him. After the ball hits the floor, A1 catches the ball and dribbles. The official rules this a legal play.

Key says yes. Isn't this a double dribble if he catches it and dribbles again?

Again, I agree with you. I think this should be a violation. Maybe Bob J can shed some light. Or maybe it's just a typo on the answer key. It happens.

Quote:
5. A1 and A2 foul B1 at approximately the same time and the official rules this a multiple foul. The official awards B1 one free throw for each foul and plays off the make or miss as with any normal free throw.

key says yes, I have no clue why?
That's just the penalty for a multiple foul. Same in Fed, I'm pretty sure.

Quote:
PS, in NCAA, does a game HAVE to begin with a jump ball? In FIBA it does.
I'm assuming that you mean that there has to be a jump ball, even if you shoot FTs for a technical foul first. Is that correct? Or do you really mean that nothing can happen before the jump ball?

But to answer your question, no. If there is an intentional technical or a flagrant foul before the jump ball, then you would shoot 2 FTs and the shooting team would then inbound the ball at midcourt. If there is an indirect technical foul or an (non-flagrant) unsporting direct technical foul, then you would shoot the 2 FTs and resume the game with the jump ball.

Hope that helps. Maybe Bob can answer the questions I'm fuzzy about.

Chuck
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 01:07pm
Esteemed Participant

We were told at our mtg - way back in Oct - that number 4 was a typo and it should be travelling...they also said the foul in #3 was a personal, but I can't remember the logiv they went through...will try to dig up my notes from the mtg...
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

JayR,

What is the link for that NCAA Refresher Test? I would like to take a peek at it.

Thanks.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Hope that helps. Maybe Bob can answer the questions I'm fuzzy about.

Chuck
I'd answer the same way Chuck did.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you Chuck.

Donj, I do not know how to give you a direct link. (technologically challenged)

The site was http://www.refalberta.ca

It's a site for refs in Alberta. You could browse from there.