The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

I am studying for my first NCAA test later this fall. A little overwhelmed right now, so many differences from FIBA.

1. I know that team control exists on during a throw-in. What about when the FT shooter has yet to release his FT. Is there team control as well?

2. B1 commits a lane violation before A1's last FT is released. Subsequently, A4 commits basket interference. What happens? Would basket interference be ignored because of the lane violation?

Thanks.
Jay

Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
I am studying for my first NCAA test later this fall. A little overwhelmed right now, so many differences from FIBA.

1. I know that team control exists on during a throw-in. What about when the FT shooter has yet to release his FT. Is there team control as well?
Actually, you're incorrect. Team control does not exist during a throw-in, nor does it exist during a FT.

Quote:
2. B1 commits a lane violation before A1's last FT is released. Subsequently, A4 commits basket interference. What happens? Would basket interference be ignored because of the lane violation?
The basket doesn't count and A1 gets another FT.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Actually, you're incorrect. Team control does not exist during a throw-in, nor does it exist during a FT.
Tony is correct; there is no team control during a throw-in. However, the confusion here comes from the fact that a foul committed by the inbounding team before the throw-in is completed is considered a Team Control Foul. The Team Control Foul in this situation is a strange sort of exception to the definition of team control.

So. . . no team control during the throw-in. That means that the throw-in can go into the backcourt from the frontcourt and still be legally touched first by a teammate of the inbounder.

However, if a teammate of the inbounder commits a personal foul before the throw-in is completed, it is a Team Control Foul and the offended player will not shoot FTs.

Quote:
The basket doesn't count and A1 gets another FT. [/B][/QUOTE]
I concur. The BI is NOT ignored, so no point can be scored b/c of the violation. However, A1 receives another FT b/c of B1's lane violation.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

I thought the exception was the other way around. I believed there was team control during a throw-in, but the exception was to the backcourt violation rule. My basis for this is Rule 4-13.b which was one one of the rule changes for 2003-2004.

[Edited by Jay R on Oct 5th, 2003 at 08:09 PM]
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chuck,

I thought the exception was the other way around. I believed there was team control during a throw-in, but the exception was to the backcourt violation rule.
The exception to the BC violation rule exists BECAUSE there's no team control during a throw-in.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Chuck,

I thought the exception was the other way around. I believed there was team control during a throw-in, but the exception was to the backcourt violation rule.
The exception to the BC violation rule exists BECAUSE there's no team control during a throw-in.
You don't agree about the rule change?
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry Chuck and BBAllref but the following is directly from the NCAA regarding rule changes for the 2003-04 season:

Rule 4-13.4.b -- Related rules shall be changed where necessary so that there is team control on a throw-in from out of bounds, but, unlike other team-control situations, the throw-in team can cause the ball to go into the back court (i.e., no violation) and the three-second lane violation count does not take effect until the throw-in ended. The rationale is to simplify the rules governing the throw-in and the team-control foul, which was created for the 2002-03 season.

It clearly states that there is Team Control on a throw-in from out of bounds.

Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

You are correct. This is a rule change for this year. I looked the rule up prior to my first post but was looking at the 2002-2003 rule book.

Reading the rule changes, there's also a rule change for the FT situation. So, yes Jay, there is team control until the FT is released.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
Sorry Chuck and BBAllref but the following is directly from the NCAA regarding rule changes for the 2003-04 season:

Rule 4-13.4.b
Well, whaddya know? Thanks, Dewey. Haven't gotten the new book yet and I guess I didn't read the new changes online as carefully as I should've.

I'm not sure the change makes it any less complicated. They're just subbing one exception for another. But I guess I can live with it.

Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Going back to my original question (#2)

If BI was caused by B4 instead of A4, would that be ruled any differently?
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Going back to my original question (#2)

If BI was caused by B4 instead of A4, would that be ruled any differently?
Since A is awarded a point in this case ignore the violation by B1 as you would if the FT just went in after a violation.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Here's another question. After simultaneous personal fouls, do you resume play with point of interuption same as double personal fouls? (NCAA)
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Here's another question. After simultaneous personal fouls, do you resume play with point of interuption same as double personal fouls? (NCAA)
You don't use POI with either double or simultaneous personal fouls. The ball goes back to the team in control with no reset of the shot clock. If there is no team control, you go to the arrow.

See the chart in Rule 10-24 in the 2004 rulebook.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
You don't use POI with either double or simultaneous personal fouls. The ball goes back to the team in control with no reset of the shot clock. If there is no team control, you go to the arrow.

See the chart in Rule 10-24 in the 2004 rulebook.
While LOTTO is correct that POI does not technically apply (see the definitions), the effect is the same.